SASS Wire Forum

Favorite Christmas treat your momma made.

Singin' Sue 71615

Cheese log

Velveta cheese 1lb

Cream cheese 2-box

Garlic powder

Chop pecans

Fine red chili powder

Need wax paper to wrap.

Mix softened cheeses with hands untill nice and even color...gets real messy (butter hands first)

Then add garlic powder to taste. Don't use garlic SALT, the velveeta has plenty.

Then add in chop pecans to desire.

After mixed well, form a log by rolling in your hands. Make it thick enough to fit a cracker.

Roll lightly in the red chili powder (I use a large plate)

Cover the log and ends without pushing the log 'into' the powder.

Wrap in wax paper and refridgerate.

Put out with crackers for snacking on Christmas Day!

Mom's Brownies

Chocolate Chip Blonde Brownies

Melt 1 1/2 sticks of margarine
Add 2 C. dark brown sugar
Add 2 eggs

Mix well & add the following dry ingredients a small amount at a time; stir well

2 C. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 T. soda
1 T. salt
1 T. Vanilla
1/2 C. nuts (optional)

1/2 pkg chocolate chips

Pour mix in greased 9 x 13 pan.  Sprinkle chocolate chips over top & bake @ 350 for 20 minutes.  Do NOT overbake.  The secret to good brownies is to bake only until chewy. 

Lepp cookies. My Mom and her sisters all got together at Grandma's around Thanksgiving to make them. They then were sealed in 1 gallon glass jars and allowed to age till Christmas.

EDIT: I haven't had these since my Grandma passed many many years ago.. I was talking to mom about them and she said we made them at Thanksgiving not July. 

Actually, I believe it was scrambled eggs with diced ham.

Mom and Daddy had a rule. No presents until after breakfast. But breakfast Christmas morning was always scrambled eggs with diced ham mixed in it, because that was extremely fast to make and extremely easy to eat. Got to the presents quicker.

Poppyseed rolls - Solo brand poppy filling thinned with Carnation Evaporated Milk, then spread out on a large rectangle of bread dough, rolled up and baked.

Nut rolls using ground walnuts, pecans, hazel nuts, and almonds. 

Molasses Crinkle Cookies, basically the Betty Crocker receipt.

Fruitcake, see that thread.

Spritz Cookies.

Shoo Fly Pie.

Potica.  When I was a preschool kid, our Italian next door neighbor gave us a loaf of potica ( she pronounced it “po-TEET-sa”). It lasted less than a day.  Mom got the recipe and made several loaves at Christmas for decades thereafter.

Several recipes online.  What it looks like:

5E9682DA-0681-4300-90CC-C600B569C636.thumb.jpeg.bd34013b3821e33a8ce1562d4f318fc6.jpeg

2 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Potica.  When I was a preschool kid, our Italian next door neighbor gave us a loaf of potica ( she pronounced it “po-TEET-sa”). It lasted less than a day.  Mom got the recipe and made several loaves at Christmas for decades thereafter.

5E9682DA-0681-4300-90CC-C600B569C636.thumb.jpeg.bd34013b3821e33a8ce1562d4f318fc6.jpeg

Ooooh!  Looks GOOD!

Between my Mom and my two Grandmothers we had a bunch of homemade treats when I was a little kid. 
Pies: Pumpkin, apple, cherry, berry.

Pumpkin Rolls - my favorite 

Potato candy

Butterscotch chow mein noodle candy

Banana nut bread

Cookies 

Christmas was the one time of year that my family went all out regarding sweet treats. 

13 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Interesting.  The receipts I found all said that is a Slovak pastry.  Or Eastern European.    Also interesting is the eggs in the filling.

Mom's vanilla shortbread cookies

Mom's chocolate fudge

Mom' peanut butter cookies

Mom's caramels (plain and chocolate covered)

Mom's poppyseed roll (log)

Mom's cream horns (with miniature chocolate chips in cream)

I love you Mom.......you were at the top of your game in our kitchen.

56 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Interesting.  The receipts I found all said that is a Slovak pastry.  Or Eastern European.    Also interesting is the eggs in the filling.

Probably so.  Post-war Pueblo, Colorado was a melting pot.  The CF&I steel mill and the Sante Fe and Rio Grande railroads employed lots of Slovenians, Italians, and Poles in addition to the “native” Hispanics and Indians.  All the ladies shared their recipes.  Though I was raised in a Protestant family, I learned to look forward to all the Catholic christenings and weddings!  Wherever it originated, potica is marvelous!

9 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Probably so.  Post-war Pueblo, Colorado was a melting pot.  The CF&I steel mill and the Sante Fe and Rio Grande railroads employed lots of Slovenians, Italians, and Poles in addition to the “native” Hispanics and Indians.  All the ladies shared their recipes.  Though I was raised in a Protestant family, I learned to look forward to all the Catholic christenings and weddings!  Wherever it originated, potica is marvelous!

The nut rolls mom made had ground nuts and sugar for the filling.   Roll out the dough, butter it, spread the nut mix, roll up, let rise, bake.

I've just looked at half a dozen receipts and the fillings have a lot of variation.  One had cocoa powder. Most, but not all, had cinnamon. Some had whole eggs, some egg yolks only, some egg whites only.  

Next year...

15 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Lepp cookies. My Mom and her sisters all got together at Grandma's around Thanksgiving to make them. They then were sealed in 1 gallon glass jars and allowed to age till Christmas.

EDIT: I haven't had these since my Grandma passed many many years ago.. I was talking to mom about them and she said we made them at Thanksgiving not July. 

@Singin' Sue 71615

Outside Central Mo they are also known as Lebukuchen cookies. There are lots of people of German ancestry in central Mo. They brought the recipe over when they immigrated to the US back in the 1800's. All the recipes that I have seen in locally published recipe books differ greatly from the traditional German ones from Europe. Where I grew up they were popular because they could be made with inexpensive ingredients that were available locally. Sorghum Molasses, Black Walnuts, Pecans, Currants, Gooseberries, and wild grapes were plentiful in 1800's Missouri.  

I have a copy of my Grandma's version and she wrote that it made 20 dozen cookies. 

I can still picture that 1 gallon glass jar sitting on the counter behind the bread box in the darkest corner of Grandma's kitchen packed full of goodness that we couldn't open till after Christmas dinner.

On 12/16/2022 at 10:47 PM, J-BAR #18287 said:

Funny little tidbit about Potica. My mom made that every Christmas and since we were an all Italian family I thought it was an Italian thing. It sounds Italian!! :lol:I was maybe 10 yrs old when I found out it was Slovenian. My mom got the recipe for it from her neighborhood friend.

My favorite that she made was cannoli's at Christmas which were awesome!!!

3 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Funny little tidbit about Potica. My mom made that every Christmas and since we were an all Italian family I thought it was an Italian thing. It sounds Italian!! :lol:I was maybe 10 yrs old when I found out it was Slovenian. My mom got the recipe for it from her neighborhood friend.

My favorite that she made was cannoli's at Christmas which were awesome!!!

Can't resist "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."

It wasn't just my mom that made the Christmas treats that I remember.

Great Grandma - Real giblet gravy, turkey cooked just right w/real in the bird dressing, Banana pudding and sweet tea. I've come close to duplicating all of it...but not really.

Grandpa - Pecan pie, Apple pie, pole beans w/pork.

My mom - Christmas morning breakfast. Scrambled eggs, grits, bacon and toast...a whole bunch of it 'cause all of my kin were staying at the house.

I'll never know how I stayed skinny back then..

Boy, I'm hungry now.

On 12/17/2022 at 9:20 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Lots of commonality between the Italians and the Croatians, anyway. My wife's maternal grandpa was a Croatian fisherman that I came to know well (all the 'ichs' on Puget Sound, SF Bay, and San Pedro are Croats....).

You could interchange some of their recipes. Pasta fagioli/pasta fazul. Spaghetti ("Slav" spaghetti had a little spice), biscotti-- many things.

They always called themselves Yugoslavs, or just plain Slavs. Until the Balkan war. Then it was Croatians, a term I almost never heard among them before.

28 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Lots of commonality between the Italians and the Croatians, anyway. My wife's maternal grandpa was a Croatian fisherman that I came to know well (all the 'ichs' on Puget Sound, SF Bay, and San Pedro are Croats....).

You could interchange some of their recipes. Pasta fagioli/pasta fazul. Spaghetti ("Slav" spaghetti had a little spice), biscotti-- many things.

They always called themselves Yugoslavs, or just plain Slavs. Until the Balkan war. Then it was Croatians, a term I almost never heard among them before.

Well, the Roman Emperor Diocletian was a Croat and had a retirement palace/fortress built in Split, so it makes sense that there would be a lot of commonality.

One of my mom's brothers (Carpathi-Rus) married a lady of Croatian ethnicity.  And that's what she called herself.  Same for others of her age.

(All dates following are approximate and drawing on long memory)

Yugoslavia wasn't formed until somewhere around 1920 +/- a couple of years.  I think the Kingdom of Croatia came into being around A D. 900, and somewhere in the 12th century became a principality in some larger alliance. 

My guess is that the ones who's families came over before WWI call themselves Croats, those after it, Yugoslavian.  

Tunnel Of Fudge Bundt cake. I’ve tried some that others have made and none can come close to the ones Mom baked.

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Well, the Roman Emperor Diocletian was a Croat and had a retirement palace/fortress built in Split, so it makes sense that there would be a lot of commonality.

The commonality arose far later. Diocletian was an Illyrian, not a Croat, born in Dalmatia to be sure, but the Croats and the Serbs are Southern Slavs who arrived in the Balkans only many centuries later than his time. And in later centuries Venice controlled the area. On top of that, the Dalmatian coast and islands were Slavicized quite late in the scheme of things, compared to the inland areas. Dalmatian and Italian fishermen intermixed in the local waters for generations. And, of course, the Croatians were also Catholic, which contributed to it.

Some of the early Croatian immigrants here referred to themselves as Austrians, because they came from the Austro-Hungarian Empire. There were some nomenclature controversies in the Slav immigrant community back then.

Over the holidays Aunt Maude made peanut brittle, divinity, fudge, and chocolate nut clusters that were scrumptious. However her Angel Food cake was heavenly. Made from scratch and if it didn't rise above the top of the cake pan she would feed it to the chickens and start over. So light and fluffy you had to cut it with a bread knife.

Another was her Cloud 9

Tub cool whip (large) 

Two pkg cream cheese (I use 3)

I can mixed fruit (drained)

Pecans chopped

Merachino cherries (drained and rinsed)

Coconut shavings ( optional)

Mix with mixer the softened cream cheese and Cool Whip

After really fluffy, add in the pecans and fruit.

Stir well.

Add in cherries, mixing gently.

Cover and refridgerate.

Serve with dinner!!!

Howdy,

Mom could make all that.

But what I miss is mince pie....or was it mince meat pie??

It was sorta like apple pie with raisins and some other goodies.

No actual meat that I ever could recognize.

Oh well.

Best

CR

Archived