SASS Wire Forum

I used to think my life was uninteresting

Finagler 6853 Life

I used to think I was the most boring person in the world.  I don't have stories about being in the service like a lot of you guys do.  I don't have stories about being in college like some you other guys do.  Hell, there are parts of the late  70s, when I was in college, that I can't even remember.  My work has taken me all over the world so I know what the inside of a hotel room looks like all over the place.  Hint, they all pretty much look the same.  If you look up dull in the dictionary, you will find my picture there.  Until this last month.

Last November, I lost my mom.  Don't feel bad.  She was 97 years old and had a great run.  She was a great mom and marvelous person.  She put up with my father which is more than he deserved.  Raised 7 kids.  A couple of them turned out alright, a couple are/were hellions (if you can't remember it, it didn't happen, right?), and a couple whose halos are screwed on a bit too tight. 

Ten days ago, I had surgery on my foot, for the third time to remove a fibroma for the second time.  Long boring story.  Don't ask.  So I've been hobbling around on crutches to keep weight off my foot.  Yesterday, I'm hobbling around, helping my wife get some gas in her vehicle.  As I'm hobbling to the station office to pay, some dude backs out of his parking space, doesn't see me, I don't see him because I'm focused on maintaining solid footing and WHAP, he back right into me.  It is going to take more than a Chevy Cobalt to knock me down.  I did make a sideways hop and he did bump into me.  Knocked a crutch out of my hand.  I think I exclaimed some invectives at the top of my voice.  I have been told for years that I can be very loud.  That comes from all the years of being in choirs of one sort or another.  You are told to project.  I projected.  I got everyone's attention.   Attendants in the building heard me.   Dude jumps out of his car and is in a panic trying to find out if I'm alright.  I was not hurt, I wasn't knocked down, I picked up my crutch from under his bumper, growled at him that I was fine.  I may have questioned his parentage.  I continue hobbling into the office, finish paying, hobble back to my wife who has witnessed all of this and is almost in hysterics.  She is shaking and ready to cry, she is so upset.  She said she was screaming at me to look out but of course I couldn't hear her.  She was in the car.  I assure her I am fine.  She proceeds to start to pull out from the pumps and another lady comes up to her window.  The nice gal says she witnessed this as well and was screaming in her car as well.  She wanted to know if I was alright and said she wrote down the guys license plate if we wanted it.  I assured her I was fine as she was visibly shaking also.  Dude was gone.  So yeah, that was different.

So lately, I've been having flutters with my ticker.  I've had them on and off for years.  The may last for a 3 count and then they are gone.  No biggie.  Everyone has them.  Well, 

the fluttering has been more frequent and lasting longer.  Last couple weeks hit has been even more pronounced and consistent.  I have been thinking it is indigestion, my pancreas pestering me or maybe my gall bladder as I have been feeling full all the time even hours after eating.  But yesterday I started being short of breath.  So this morning I go talk to the nurse at work.  They couldn't get a good BP reading and the rudimentary ECG machine they have did not give out a happy report.  So off to the ER I go.  Without all those boring stories, they hooked me up to all the machines they could that made some kind of noise.  It sounded like a marching band gone bad.  So I have atrial fibrillation.  So I'm sitting here at home, my bum foot on a hassock, feeling the meds kicking in taking the docs advice to rest.  I'm getting tired of resting.  I've read the entire internet, all the magazines I have and have a need to fidget with my fingers.  I'm ready to start playing the piano again and I haven't done that in 55 years.

I really want to go back to boring.  My dance card is full.  This exciting lifestyle sucks.

6 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

I used to think I was the most boring person in the world.  I don't have stories about being in the service like a lot of you guys do.  I don't have stories about being in college like some you other guys do.  Hell, there are parts of the late  70s, when I was in college, that I can't even remember.  My work has taken me all over the world so I know what the inside of a hotel room looks like all over the place.  Hint, they all pretty much look the same.  If you look up dull in the dictionary, you will find my picture there.  Until this last month.

Last November, I lost my mom.  Don't feel bad.  She was 97 years old and had a great run.  She was a great mom and marvelous person.  She put up with my father which is more than he deserved.  Raised 7 kids.  A couple of them turned out alright, a couple are/were hellions (if you can't remember it, it didn't happen, right?), and a couple whose halos are screwed on a bit too tight. 

Ten days ago, I had surgery on my foot, for the third time to remove a fibroma for the second time.  Long boring story.  Don't ask.  So I've been hobbling around on crutches to keep weight off my foot.  Yesterday, I'm hobbling around, helping my wife get some gas in her vehicle.  As I'm hobbling to the station office to pay, some dude backs out of his parking space, doesn't see me, I don't see him because I'm focused on maintaining solid footing and WHAP, he back right into me.  It is going to take more than a Chevy Cobalt to knock me down.  I did make a sideways hop and he did bump into me.  Knocked a crutch out of my hand.  I think I exclaimed some invectives at the top of my voice.  I have been told for years that I can be very loud.  That comes from all the years of being in choirs of one sort or another.  You are told to project.  I projected.  I got everyone's attention.   Attendants in the building heard me.   Dude jumps out of his car and is in a panic trying to find out if I'm alright.  I was not hurt, I wasn't knocked down, I picked up my crutch from under his bumper, growled at him that I was fine.  I may have questioned his parentage.  I continue hobbling into the office, finish paying, hobble back to my wife who has witnessed all of this and is almost in hysterics.  She is shaking and ready to cry, she is so upset.  She said she was screaming at me to look out but of course I couldn't hear her.  She was in the car.  I assure her I am fine.  She proceeds to start to pull out from the pumps and another lady comes up to her window.  The nice gal says she witnessed this as well and was screaming in her car as well.  She wanted to know if I was alright and said she wrote down the guys license plate if we wanted it.  I assured her I was fine as she was visibly shaking also.  Dude was gone.  So yeah, that was different.

So lately, I've been having flutters with my ticker.  I've had them on and off for years.  The may last for a 3 count and then they are gone.  No biggie.  Everyone has them.  Well, 

the fluttering has been more frequent and lasting longer.  Last couple weeks hit has been even more pronounced and consistent.  I have been thinking it is indigestion, my pancreas pestering me or maybe my gall bladder as I have been feeling full all the time even hours after eating.  But yesterday I started being short of breath.  So this morning I go talk to the nurse at work.  They couldn't get a good BP reading and the rudimentary ECG machine they have did not give out a happy report.  So off to the ER I go.  Without all those boring stories, they hooked me up to all the machines they could that made some kind of noise.  It sounded like a marching band gone bad.  So I have atrial fibrillation.  So I'm sitting here at home, my bum foot on a hassock, feeling the meds kicking in taking the docs advice to rest.  I'm getting tired of resting.  I've read the entire internet, all the magazines I have and have a need to fidget with my fingers.  I'm ready to start playing the piano again and I haven't done that in 55 years.

I really want to go back to boring.  My dance card is full.  This exciting lifestyle sucks.

Best wishes for an excellent outcome. 

I take one capsule every morning for A Fib that was diagnosed in 2001, and it works, no more arrhythmias.  Kinda boring, you should like it.

Seriously, don’t ignore any kind of symptoms.  Get better, Pard.

I hope the docs figure it all out for you. Do yourself a favor. Regardless of how much ululated like your Doc, get a second opinion on that heart issue. Afib is nothing to fool with. I was misdiagnosed with Afib, turns out I have PVCs…and not the plumbing kind of PVC. :D

My heart gives extra beats at irregular intervals. I have no idea what Afib is versus PVCs I just know that everyone I have dealt with medically always says “PVC’s? That’s much better than Afib.”

Be well. 

take care and get better - nothing worse than being laid up in this time of year , find a great book and read it , watch a great movie , those are my hopes for the upcoming months 

i think most all of us would love a bit of boring a lot of the time , or at least some normal hum drum , this time of year is always way to full of chit for my liking , you can have t-give through new years with my full gratitude for saving me from it  , ill suffer february cold and enjoy the rest of the year save these weeks , 

After putting a quarter of a century of my life under the lights-and-siren, I've come to enjoy Quiet and Boring reeeeeeal well!

I genuinely had to laugh at your description of being hooked up to every machine they had that makes noises, and my mirth and merriment at your description of said medical devices sounding like a marching band gone bad, genuinely tickled my funny bone.

You sound like a survivor from the word go.

I'll second the notion about a second cardiology workup.

May your fortunes improve and your health increase, and considering that aforementioned Chinese curse --

Whichever of us finds the geriatric Oriental magicworker intent on uttering maledictions in our general direction --

Let's treat him to a good dose of singletree!

since we're doing ethnic:

Irish Blessing

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.
May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.
May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you

Archived