SASS Wire Forum

We lost a GREAT one this week!!!

Ol Number4

For those in SASS who have been around awhile, we will all know "Ronnie" as a competitor, cooperator, mentor, helper and most any other positive characteristic we cowboys respect and appreciate.

Wrangler Ron was already a legend when I met him in the very early 20's.  Through all the time I was able to shoot and visit with him since, he never changed his attitude about this sport.  It was FUN, you got to play with your gear, share the activity with like minded, and compete for mere trinkets.   The most important issue of the shooting was "braggin' rights" among your fellows.

I am certain a lot you will have as many great memories of Ron  as I have.  Perhaps at the next shoot we will be able to share those memories with our friends and fellow shooters

I know I will miss his great stories, coaching and subtle criticisms.  Mostly, I miss a great old friend...

Ol'  #4

P S  feel free to continue the topic with any comments about "Ron"

Thank you ‘4 for your kind words of remembrance, Ronnie’s passing will leave a huge hole in the heart’s of many. He has been a champion, a true cowboy and a gentleman that has set a sky high standard while being a humble and caring man. 
Respectfully

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:
Gateway Kid

I met Wrangler Ron back when I first started CAS at a match with the Escondido Bandidos. A quiet, kind, caring, intelligent, you name it he personified it. When I manned the gate at EOT in New Mexico Ron and Lefty Jo stopped to visit every time they came in and every evening when they left they’d ask me if I needed them to bring me anything the next morning. His passing leaves a big hole in the CAS family, RIP, Wrangler Ron. Lefty Jo, you’re in my thoughts.

I crossed paths with WR several times this year.  He said he liked trains and wished I still dressed as a railroad worker.  I expect he'll be riding some trains in his new location.  I hope to join him when my turn comes.

So sorry to hear that.  Robbie and I had just noticed he was signed up for End of Trail next year and were looking forward to seeing him again.

Can’t say when we first shot with him, but for more than 25 years it seemed like wherever we went, there he was.

He was always a pleasure to see and to shoot with, and will be missed.

Crisco & Robbie.

Wrangler Ron and Lefty Jo were fixtures at our annual Eldorado events.  

The entire CAS community is diminished by his passing. 

The Creeker crew; Desert Scorpion, Painted Lady and myself offer our heartfelt condolences to Lefty Jo.

Was lucky enough to have  shot with Ron & Lefty both here in Australia & the USA...he will be missed by many.

RIP & condolences to Lefty Joe, family & friends.

Sad news indeed. I was looking forward to seeing WR in Yuma next month. 

Rest in peace my friend.

You're in my thoughts Jo

I've known and shot with Ron for 23 years and will miss seeing him three or four times a year. He would wear a smile that is unforgettable..

RIP Wrangler Ron

Received this sad news of Wrangler Ron's passing. He was 90 yrs of age a great friend and competitor in the great sport of cowboy action shooting. We have had many years of shooting with Ron and he will be missed. Did enjoy some time with Ron at his home in Grand Junction, Colorado and enjoying with him his love also in fixing up & working on very old vehicles from the past. Rest in peace my friend and see yah down the road somewhere in time.

No doubt one of the great ones in SASS.  I will miss our chats on shootings .17s and he telling me is "numbers" on prairie dogs  and such.  Great competitor and super guy.  A true loss to SASS.

So sad for Jo, family, and friends.  May God comfort you all. 

I always enjoyed Wrangler Ron and Lefty Jo's company,

I found this old poem written by Boston John Doucette. I think it's appropriate for Ron:

A Cowboy Psalm

Dear God, only You know when I'll reach the end of my trail,

So I want you to know I'm grateful.

A hundred times I've been thrown by life

And a hundred times You've lifted me back in the saddle.

Every morning I see Your smile in the sunrise over the prairie

And taste Your breath in the sage on the wind.

You put the aches in my bones at sunset to remind me that I'm still alive,

And the stars in the midnight sky to keep me humble.

I know that You love me.

When I've thirsted You've been my drink

And Your words have been my bread.

You catch me when I tangle my spurs,

You keep me from taking the crooked path.

You gave Your Son for my immortal soul.

And I know, Lord, that when I am judged

You won't care how long I stayed on–

But how well I rode.

©Copyright2002 Boston John Doucette

The passing of Ron is a true loss for the SASS community. I have only known Ron for the last five years. He is one of the greatest ambassador‘s for our sport. Such a caring and cheerful man. His influence in the SASS world has a far reaching effect. I was lucky enough to get to shoot with him many times in the past few years and got to spend a couple of hours setting and talking with Ron and Lefty Joe at hell on wheels this past summer. I am deeply saddened at his passing. Rest in peace my friend. 

I met Ronnie at the first San Juan Range weekend match in 1996....one revolver, one rifle, one '97. He really KNEW how to shoot cowboy, and we had many great times at shoots, especially on the western slope, since then.

Don't have the words, right now....thinking of you, Lefty Jo.

el Pueblo

We met Wrangler Ron in 1995 at our first annual shoot in Pueblo, Colorado.  He and I both shot Colt's and talked history of the whole west for the weekend.  He and Lefty Jo are legends  in our games and should be treated as so.  I will his smile and is badgering for shotgun hulls every time I saw him.  He was a gentle man with many stories of life, and I will miss him severely. God Bless Lefty Jo and his family for their loss.

Luther and Lady Justice

Wranger Ron a true legend in our sport. Ronnie never said a bad word, always a friendly hello, always took time for his fellow cowboy. I meet Ronnie close to 25 years ago and when we would see each other we would recall the good old days of Cowboy Shooting. He loved trains and old cars. He was looking for a train whistle last I spoke to him.

Our hearts go out to his family including Lefty Jo.  Know Wranger Ron lived a life that was full of friends that thought the world of him.
He will be missed.

Big Iron Buster & Evergreen 

Besides his smiles and stories, I enjoyed talking to him about old cars.

I never got to see in person his "Boat-tail A".  He would bring out his photo album for me to enjoy.

-wylie and Starr

This is such sad news. Ron was always a cowboy I loved talking to when we met at shoots. His stores and words of advice were always a treat to listen to when we ran into Ron and Lefty at shoots. His smile and words of advice will truly be missed. We will be keeping Lefty Joe and Ron's family in our thought and prayers.

Absolutely a legend, and one of my heroes in this game.  I would, literally, take a knee every time I saw him.  He cut a broad and wonderful swath in this sport; not everyone will be as well remembered as he will.  I really liked that guy. 

Blessings to those he leaves behind.

Sincerely,

FJT

I cannot add to the tributes except to say he was a friend and a role model.  He has left a hole in my life that will not soon be filled. 

Met Ronnie 26 years ago at WA state championship.  He and I and my shooting partner Anciano struck up a friendship.  Would see each other at many CAS events during the year.  Never forget the picture of him at Siege At San Juan when you had to sit on toilet and dig in it to get your shotgun shells.  Look on his face was priceless.  After he hitched up with Lefty Jo he seemed to be the happiest I had ever known him.

RIP old friend.

Ron was the first Super Shooter I met when I started shooting. The first guy to really help me shoot better. Always a pleasure to spend time with him. I once hauled a Cushman scooter from Cody to Cheyenne for Ron, he restored Cushman's along with Model A Ford's and old Maytag washing machines. Korean war veteran too. Ron once told me he'd rather run a marathon than shoot stand and deliver stages. SASS won't be the same without him.

Ron has been a fixture in SASS since the early days and will be missed by everyone. He was always the gentleman and willing to share his knowledge. 

My condolences to Lefty Joe, family and the many friends he leaves behind.

Long Hunter

I met Wrangler Ron and Lefty Jo in 2020 at Eldorado and had the pleasure of being on the same posse and watching them shoot. A great time, for sure. Ron and I were in the same "age category" along with Jackrabbit Joe [whom I've never met, but intend to]. Eldorado 2020, Jackrabbit Joe finished first, Wrangler Ron was second and me luckily came in third. Wrangler Ron was a great guy and an inspiration to me as a shooter. He will be missed. We spoke this past year at Eldorado about next years Eldorado and that we were going to compete in the new [to us] El Rey category. I hope to continue on and will have Wrangler Ron and Jackrabbit Joe as mentors. My condolences to lefty Jo and family.

Wrangler Bob

Eldorado Cowboys

Boulder City, Nv.

IMG_1460.JPG

Archived