SASS Wire Forum

A new friend

DeaconKC

I have a part time job at a local gun store. Today a young couple came in with a young raccoon, their pet. She was a cute little thing, and as I held my hand out to her to sniff, she just crawled right up my arm and on to my shoulders. She was quite happy there, as I am 6' 3" and she likes to be up high according to her owners. Her name is Violet and my new friend.

raccoon violet.jpeg

I had a friend who had a pet raccoon. It didn’t end well.

@DeaconKC nice to see a photo of you. For some reason I imagined you as a tall skinny fellow with a black frock coat and a black flat brimmed hat. :D

My wife’s granddad had a raccoon. I saw photos they had taken of it sitting in a high chair eating dinner. Apparently he had this raccoon for years. It got sick snd died. As far as I know it remained tame and friendly the entire time he had it. 

My father was given a coon kit when I was in grade school.

It adopted us as its family, just like your Violet, Dan'l Coon (my father had a rotten sense of humor) loved shoulders.

Cousin Tom was a lusty young buck with a convertible and he'd come down to borrow Dan'l when he went trolling for the ladies.

He said Dan'l was a better chick magnet than his waxed and shining convertible!

A frat brother had one (Pancho Villa) who lived in the house.  Every time some one was going out and something was missing (pens, coins, tie pins, cuff links, keys....anything shiny) it could be found in the third floor head in Pancho's hidey hole under the rear sink.

I wonder whatever became of him.

I agree with Pat.  A buddy has had coons (and many other animals) on and off for over 60years.  Many of them were "tame" until death or dissapearance.  They still were pests in that they go through cabinets, steal things, climb woodwork.  Almost as good as a fluffy lapdog at the bar.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

Damn...that face is soooo cute! I'd like to have one!

There’s only one DeaconKC. You could see if he has a relative he’d be willing to ship you. 

:rolleyes::D:lol:

Raccoons

Now a raccoon llooks fine with his cute little mask

”Should I make him a sweet little pet?” You might ask

It’s been done more than once by some fine, trusting folks

They are then soon surprised by some rogue raccoon jokes

They’ll gobble the treats that you feed them by hand

And they playfully topple the umbrella stand.

Then one day while you’re out of the house for a spin

They’ll see just what mischief a coon can get in

Curtains for shredding are first on their list

You will find not a can in your pantry they’ve missed

Now how ‘bout that fish tank that’s worth all that money

It’s now down on the floor mixed with white bread and honey

The furniture’s chewed along with your clothes

And where Fluffy the cat is, well only God knows

A check of the driveway will make your heart freeze

Truck’s gone. The trash panda made off with your keys

12 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

The Japanese imported many raccoons to be pets. After a time the coons were released to the wild. Now they are an invasive species.

I figure it’s payback for those pesky beetles.

huh , gate to admit it but .. nice to know we invaded their country with our exotic species as much as they invaded ours with the stupid carp and orange beetles 

@Buckshot Bear, it is a raccoon, commonly called coons as well. Very intelligent and inquisitive little critters. Also, wicked in a fight, will actually drown dogs that are chasing them.

9 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

@DeaconKC

Deacon....out of interest (and I ain't turnin' into @Alpo looking at the ceiling in the shop....what is it?

2 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

@Buckshot Bear, it is a raccoon, commonly called coons as well. Very intelligent and inquisitive little critters. Also, wicked in a fight, will actually drown dogs that are chasing them.

Deacon, I think that Buckshot is asking about the type of ceiling in the building.

If that is the case...from what I see in the picture is...

The building is a steel frame building with red iron purlin ceiling trusses. It is insulated with fiberglass that has plastic on one side installed between the red iron purlin and the aluminum (or steel) roof panels. A link to a picture of a typical large steel building (without insulation) is below.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6N0gkECO&id=51B893BDCD6543310FA45FEC26DE9618418A0DB5&thid=OIP.6N0gkECOo0vwMHLIWj_mzQHaEK&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.alliedbuildings.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2f4I-min-1-1920x1080.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.e8dd2090408ea34bf03072c85a3fe6cd%3frik%3dtQ2KQRiW3ibsXw%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=1080&expw=1920&q=Steel+Building&simid=608005204575416509&FORM=IRPRST&ck=3E18C5B9F15641EE63155DCD633CF0EE&selectedIndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

14 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Deacon, I think that Buckshot is asking about the type of ceiling in the building.

If that is the case...from what I see in the picture is...

The building is a steel frame building with red iron purlin ceiling trusses. It is insulated with fiberglass that has plastic on one side installed between the red iron purlin and the aluminum (or steel) roof panels. A link to a picture of a typical large steel building (without insulation) is below.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=6N0gkECO&id=51B893BDCD6543310FA45FEC26DE9618418A0DB5&thid=OIP.6N0gkECOo0vwMHLIWj_mzQHaEK&mediaurl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.alliedbuildings.com%2fwp-content%2fuploads%2f2018%2f03%2f4I-min-1-1920x1080.jpg&cdnurl=https%3a%2f%2fth.bing.com%2fth%2fid%2fR.e8dd2090408ea34bf03072c85a3fe6cd%3frik%3dtQ2KQRiW3ibsXw%26pid%3dImgRaw%26r%3d0&exph=1080&expw=1920&q=Steel+Building&simid=608005204575416509&FORM=IRPRST&ck=3E18C5B9F15641EE63155DCD633CF0EE&selectedIndex=0&idpp=overlayview&ajaxhist=0&ajaxserp=0

Cheers.....I couldn't work out what the ceiling was made out of.

A friend was driving down a country road once.  He came across a raccoon that appeared to have been hit and killed by a car.  Running around the downed  animal was a half dozen miniature versions.  He said to himself, "what would be nicer than a pet coon"?  So, he stopped and approached the batch.  As he reached to grab one of the little ones, the mama 'coon came alive and latched onto his hand.  He smacked, slapped, beat and knocked her about the head, trying to get her to release him.  Finally, he put his hand and the mama 'coon down to the ground and waited until she decided to turn loose.  After a minute or two more, she did, and she and her batch of furballs hurried off into the night.  

I don't recall him ever having any type of pet after that.  

Archived