SASS Wire Forum

WTB - 38 Long Colt Ammo

Wallaby Damned

I have a Colt 1895 Army & Navy in 38 Colt (not 38spl). I used to have a few boxes but must have given them away as I can’t find them now and ammo seems to be non-existent at the moment.  Anyone have a box or two laying around they can spare? My eldest son (11) would like to shoot with me and isn’t a fan of my 45 Colt. 

If I am thinking correctly, you should be able to shoot 38 special.  I believe the Short Colt originally used a heeled bullet and the cylinder was through bored without a throat. Check your barrel and it it’s around .358 with a forcing cone you should be OK with the specials. If your concern is pressure, load them light. 

Or maybe not…….  I don’t have a 38 Colt to measure up, so measure carefully..   Don’t just take my word for it. 

Sam Sackett 

Wallaby,  You need .38 Long Colt. Not .38 S&W. You can also shoot the .38 Short Colt. Never, ever .38 Special. That gun was designed for the low pressure .38 Long Colt. By the way the .38 Special case should not quite fit all the way into the cylinder. The original .38 Long Colt did use a .360 heeled bullet, but later just use the .357 inside lubed bullet and they shoot good enough. If you reload, just keep the pressures low in that 100+ year old gun. And enjoy!

Just a further note. The .38 S&W is a little larger diameter case with generally a .360" inside lubed bullet. Also shorter. It should not fit into your cylinder. It is also the same as the .38 Colt New Police and Police Positive. With 200 grain bullet it was the British service round, the .38/200.

Another confusing issue is that the .38 Special was also called the .38 S&W Special, when first introduced.

One other note, the .38 Long Colt was also known as the .38 Colt Army/Navy. These were all .359" bullets, but .357, .358 will work. My .360 cast works out well.

Lead bullets only in these revolvers.

Perhaps this is all more than you wanted to know. Sorry, long post. I get carried away. 

I recently bought two boxes of .38 Long Colt from Choice Ammunition in MT.  Excellent service and they are a SASS affiliate.

https://choiceammunition.com/product/38-long-colt-125-grain-tcfp-hi-tek-coated-lead-cowboy-action100-hand-loaded/

Hope this helps.  SB

Archived