SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycle helmets

Rye Miles #13621

1979 FXSE LR. Black, much modified ;) :FlagAm:

Yes.

Helmet survivor from a 2000 crash.

Shredded the right sleeve of a leather jacket (Christmas present from Shortcake), scuffed up jeans, gloves and a month old Shoei helmet. Kept in hospital overnight for observation. No bleeding but sore from bouncing on the pavement. Yamaha 1100 V-Star Classic.

Did weekend Enduro races in the late 70's with Dad.

"If I see you on that bike with no helmet, the bike is gone."

Gospel according to Dad.

To all of the "I have been riding for xx years and don't wear a helmet because...

It is harder to hear...

It is heavy and might inhibit my vision...

I only ride where it's safe...

You don't "need" any safety gear until something happens; but the moment it happens - it's too late to strap it on.

Makes me wonder if you use the same arguments for your defensive carry firearms?

It's too heavy...

I only go where I won't need a gun...

It's uncomfortable...

Or for fire protection in the home?

Smoke detectors are ugly...

I only sleep in rooms lined with asbestos...

Fire extinguishers are heavy and make a mess when discharged...

I have seen first hand.

In 1984; on a road trip in Michigan - my mom and dad struck a Michigan State DOT dumptruck head on - straight dead center between the headlights on M37 in Hastings Michigan. 

His mistake - no one elses - but when flesh, bone and blood are striking metal - it makes little difference at that moment who was at fault.

My mother was ejected from the bike and flew over the truck landing on the road.

She broke her ankle, pelvis, ribs, bruised her heart.  Her helmet was unscratched.

My dad did not miss the truck; he broke his sternum, ribs, both legs, both ankles, crushed his left wrist, ruptured his spleen, ruptured his appendix, collapsed a lung and struck the windshield of the truck with his head.  I was on this road trip; riding behind them when this accident happened; I rendered first aid - I assisted my mom and dad onto their back boards and into the ambulance.  I dragged that mangled bike off to the side of the road.

And I picked the shell of my dads helmet off the road in three separate pieces.  

My dad survived this crash; underwent a year in a hospital bed but eventually recovered. 

He went on to teach classes at our local college, research and write the definitive book about Hamilton Boys Rifles (an obscure and unknown firearms company), follow me out west to Nevada, see his grand daughter born and have years of adventures with my mom after that accident.

I lost my dad in 2016 - but I had 32 years more with him because he was wearing a helmet.  

If you don't wear a helmet when you ride - you are a fool.

My very first road accident (had a few minor ones on dirt bikes) was due to a pair of contact lenses. My left lens fell out when I blinked because my eye dried out. Rather than close my left eye and pull over using my good right eye I left both eyes open and pulled of the side it the road. I didn’t see the low shoulder snd wiped out doing about 25 mph. 
When I got up I took my helmet off and accidentally dropped it on the pavement. It split right down the middle. 
Immediately a picture of a Bell helmet poster popped into my head.
 image.jpeg.2894635d13f1e3fc94a335bc09ee6495.jpeg

I bought a Snell rated Bell Star the next day. 

12 hours ago, Brandon A Bovine SASS 27688 said:

Shoei Neotech user here.

That's a good, comfortable helmet.  Had one before I bought the Schuberth.  Would have bought another if they had one in the store in my size.

Always.

A street helmet for daily riding and a MX helmet when I was off road.

6 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

To all of the "I have been riding for xx years and don't wear a helmet because...

It is harder to hear...

It is heavy and might inhibit my vision...

I only ride where it's safe...

You don't "need" any safety gear until something happens; but the moment it happens - it's too late to strap it on.

Makes me wonder if you use the same arguments for your defensive carry firearms?

It's too heavy...

I only go where I won't need a gun...

It's uncomfortable...

Or for fire protection in the home?

Smoke detectors are ugly...

I only sleep in rooms lined with asbestos...

Fire extinguishers are heavy and make a mess when discharged...

I have seen first hand.

In 1984; on a road trip in Michigan - my mom and dad struck a Michigan State DOT dumptruck head on - straight dead center between the headlights on M37 in Hastings Michigan. 

His mistake - no one elses - but when flesh, bone and blood are striking metal - it makes little difference at that moment who was at fault.

My mother was ejected from the bike and flew over the truck landing on the road.

She broke her ankle, pelvis, ribs, bruised her heart.  Her helmet was unscratched.

My dad did not miss the truck; he broke his sternum, ribs, both legs, both ankles, crushed his left wrist, ruptured his spleen, ruptured his appendix, collapsed a lung and struck the windshield of the truck with his head.  I was on this road trip; riding behind them when this accident happened; I rendered first aid - I assisted my mom and dad onto their back boards and into the ambulance.  I dragged that mangled bike off to the side of the road.

And I picked the shell of my dads helmet off the road in three separate pieces.  

My dad survived this crash; underwent a year in a hospital bed but eventually recovered. 

He went on to teach classes at our local college, research and write the definitive book about Hamilton Boys Rifles (an obscure and unknown firearms company), follow me out west to Nevada, see his grand daughter born and have years of adventures with my mom after that accident.

I lost my dad in 2016 - but I had 32 years more with him because he was wearing a helmet.  

If you don't wear a helmet when you ride - you are a fool.

Glad your folks survived.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion of those who choose not to wear a helmet and for my part, YOU CAN KEEP IT!! 

I will repeat what I said earlier!  LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE!!!

Nothing more need be said!!

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I will repeat what I said earlier!  LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE!!!

Nothing more need be said!!

Oh, you miss my point.

I firmly believe adults have the right to do ANYTHING that does not harm others.

Smoke, drink, ingest anything and everything to their hearts content.

Play Russian roulette with a semi auto pistol.

Have unprotected sex with $4 hookers.

Or even be a $4 hooker.

I fully agree - life is dangerous and you can fall down dead simply walking to the mailbox in the morning.

And I know the jokes - what's the difference between a motorcycle rider with a full face helmet, an open face helmet or no helmet?

Open casket, closed casket or cremation.

But If you know there are bears and you choose to run naked thru the woods smeared with honey - I agree it's your choice - but it's still a bad idea. :lol:

It's just a matter of degrees - I like the woods and I like seeing bears - but I'll do it fully dressed and without the honey.  ;)

Ride safely - with a lid or without. 

I'd rather argue with you about it than be right.

having survived a helmetless crash in 72 that tried to take my life ill not go without again , yet , im thinking ill not ever ride again , not at all sure why i rebnewed my DL with the endorsement ...........guess i dont want anyone telling me i cant , stubborn that way , 

helmets have come a long way since i sold my bike in 80 and bought the boat in 82 , it was my mental trade , the cash was not quite the same but really close given the time gap , 

West Virginia requires helmets. Pennsylvania does not. I was riding in PA recently and a guy pulled up next to me on his bike at a stop light and said “Hey, you can ride in Pennsylvania without a helmet. You know that, right?”

I said “Thanks. Yeah, I know. I prefer to wear my helmet.”

The guy said “Suit yourself.”

The light turned green and we took off. At around 40 mph I flipped my visor down and at around 55 a big bug or a rock or something hard and dark hit me just above the left eye position of my visor and put a dink in it and startled the hell out of me. I doubt anyone threw a rock. There were no vehicles ahead and the other gent was behind me. Not sure what it was but perhaps it was Karma reminding me of why I wear a helmet. :D

A P.S. to my earlier post.

A car, in broad daylight, made a left turn in front of me. My choices were go into oncoming traffic, hit parked cars, or lay the bike down at 35-40 mph. So I went down with the ship.

After I healed I did get back on the bike again, and dressed for it as I did before.

But I could not relax and enjoy the ride.

At work I drove a fully marked Chevy Tahoe. I had people pull out in front of me, broad daylight. Some even when I was running red lights/sirens!

If drivers have become so distracted that they miss a full size SUV, sometimes with lights/siren, than my chances of being seen on the bike were close to zero.

I sold the bike. I miss riding, but it wasn't worth it anymore. For me, anyway. You do you.

And my shoulder reminds me every time it rains.

1 hour ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

A P.S. to my earlier post.

A car, in broad daylight, made a left turn in front of me. My choices were go into oncoming traffic, hit parked cars, or lay the bike down at 35-40 mph. So I went down with the ship.

After I healed I did get back on the bike again, and dressed for it as I did before.

But I could not relax and enjoy the ride.

At work I drove a fully marked Chevy Tahoe. I had people pull out in front of me, broad daylight. Some even when I was running red lights/sirens!

If drivers have become so distracted that they miss a full size SUV, sometimes with lights/siren, than my chances of being seen on the bike were close to zero.

I sold the bike. I miss riding, but it wasn't worth it anymore. For me, anyway. You do you.

And my shoulder reminds me every time it rains.

My last accident rattled me a bit. Once I healed up I was pretty cautious for a while. It took me some time to get confident and comfortable riding again. I just took my time with it. 

There is no shame in hanging up the keys. I have always said that if someone is hesitant about riding they probably shouldn’t ride until they feel better about it. Being overly cautious can be just as deadly as recklessness, in my opinion. 

Here in northern Wyoming the factors going into the decision are interesting.

Statistically speaking, at our Interstate and highway speeds, a helmet doesn't improve survivability by any measurable amount. We also have virtually no traffic up here. With Sturgis so close, the locals are (pleasantly) aware of bikes. This makes it a very safe area to ride. Only one fatality in my memory that was caused by another vehicle, and it wouldn't have mattered if the rider was wearing a helmet, armor, air bags, etc...a Crown Vic hits you head on at over 70 MPH, your number is up. We also don't have a helmet law, but I find myself wearing one probably 90% of the time. If the weather is very hot, however, I go without rather than risk heat exhaustion. 

Archived