SASS Wire Forum

Motorcycle helmets

Rye Miles #13621

Some states require it. Way back when I had a bike I always wore a helmet. Just curious Do you??!

Always. 

Wearing a helmet is only part of the equation wearing the right gear on the rest of your body is just as important. 

I used to have a link to a study showing that. I’ll have to try and find it. 

Always.

I have a Shoei J-Cruise that I typically wear commuting and a Schuberth C4 Pro that I wear when hitting the road for a trip.

And while not asked, I also wear Aerostich jackets and pants any time I'm on the bike.

Don't know the details, but best,year younger friend was telling me about Crash clothes that can keep you alive. 

Back in the day, I always made my GFs  wear helmet and at least denim,  Pretty Gals who wanted to show it off - I wanted them to stay both pretty and alive.

I only rode for a year and a half, maybe 2 years. Got it out of my system. Had one accident.

Going down the hill with a curve to the left at the bottom of the hill with sand in the road. Bike slid right out from under me. It went sliding down the road. Needed a new left hand mirror, new glass on the tach, and a new left hand foot peg.

My nylon bomber jacket was pretty much melted from the friction from the left cuff to the shoulder. My jeans were white from the left handHEM to my hip. My left boot was seriously scuffed from the toe to the ankle. And my helmet had a serious case of road rash.

But I stood up. My clothes took a beating, but I was fine.

I see people riding with no helmets. People in the summer, because it's hot, riding in shorts and tank tops and flip-flops.

And I think to myself (sing it Satch) --- what a effin' moron.

I like seeing the full-face helmet, shorts, tee shirt, and tennis shoes.  Brings a smile to my face. 

BS

Yes I do! Years ago when I was bullet proof (stupid) I would occasionally ride without a helmet. 
I ride ATGATT. All The Gear, All The Time. Except knee pads. Can’t do them. Helmet, boots, leather jacket with back shoulder and elbow armor, heavy gloves and pants. I don’t care how hot it is. If it’s cold I will wear over pants with knee pads. I just can’t handle the strap on pads. 

ATGATT as well.  Never ride without the basics - helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and pants.  Been riding for over 50 years and mean to be able to keep riding as long as I can swing a leg over.

I don't adhere to the "All the gear, all the time" theory, but I always wear a helmet, jeans or other long pants, leather gloves, and leather boots/shoes.

Only in places where it is required and then only the minimum requirement.

LET THOSE WHO RIDE DECIDE!!!

Licensed rider for over 55 years.

nope - back when i was young and invincible i didnt want to wear one , iowa didnt require it , but on a trip some friends talked me into we went into wisconsin - they did . so i did , after that it became a little more common to me , 

i will admit to an accident that nearly took my life in 72 , i kept my replacement bike till 80 and it had 8000 miles on it , i sold it and bought my boat , never looked back , but i still have my endorsement on my drivers license so i could ride if i chose to ............something tells me ill never get around to it again , 

The Former Missus Hardpan worked several years as an ER nurse, primarily on the "night shift" - for some reason, they didn't like calling it "graveyard shift" in the hospital.

I lost count of the tales she'd bring home about non-helmeted "organ donor" motorcyclists.  I will never forget and still shudder at the memory of one morning having breakfast ready when she got home from work.  As we sat at the kitchen table enjoying the meal, I mentioned that she seemed to have spilled some scrambled eggs and salsa on her lab coat.  She glanced down then leapt to her feet and dashed from the kitchen, swearing as she ripped off the garment.

She returned a few minutes later and apologized profusely - 'twasn't scrambled eggs.  :(

Yes... 

Always sometime it's an open face and glasses , but more and more it's a fullface one...

Kept a helmet, for years to remind me that I wouldn't be here, had I not worn one...

Jabez Cowboy 

If ya got a hundred dollar head, wear a hundred dollar helmet.

It's probably the single piece of gear that prevents immediate death upon impact. When helmet laws went into affect they were pushed by insurance companies. More people survived but required MUCH more medical, PT and disability payments.

So if you notice the freedom to choose has returned because the insurance companies no longer lobby to keep those laws.

It's cheaper to pay out the death benefit once and be done.

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

If ya got a hundred dollar head, wear a hundred dollar helmet.

Some would argue that my head and what's in it are not worth nearly that much.

That said, I wear helmets that cost considerably more.  They really don't offer any more protection (I personally believe both DOT and SNELL testing is flawed, not familiar with ECE) but what they do offer is comfort for extended periods of time.

I have gifted more expensive helmets to other riders that had only worn cheap helmets.  They couldn't believe the difference in comfort.

10 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Some would argue that my head and what's in it are not worth nearly that much.

That said, I wear helmets that cost considerably more.  They really don't offer any more protection (I personally believe both DOT and SNELL testing is flawed, not familiar with ECE) but what they do offer is comfort for extended periods of time.

I have gifted more expensive helmets to other riders that had only worn cheap helmets.  They couldn't believe the difference in comfort.

Your head is priceless, without it you're dead so it truly is priceless!

I once attended a state congressional hearing on a bill to repeal our helmet law. During the open testimony session of that hearing, a gentleman presented some startling statistics that were not favorable to helmet requirement. A few that still stand out to me are as follows.

Riders tend to ride ten to fifteen miles per hour faster when wearing a helmet.

DOT approved helmets restrict periferal vision an average of fifty percent.

Helmets of the full face variety diminish hearing by an average of forty percent.

The average full face helmet weighs from seven to ten pounds. This radically increases the strain on the neck.  Dale Earnheart’s death was caused by his helmet. His cranium was undamaged, but his neck was broken by the added weight of the helmet. This is the reason for NASCAR’s institution of the “HANS” device.

I don’t argue the ability of a helmet to protect your skull and it’s contents. I wear the most up to date helmet when driving a race car.

I learned to ride before the first helmet law was introduced and was licensed before they were required.  When the helmet law was passed in my state, I was amazed at how much my vision and hearing were restricted the first time I wore one and I soon learned how much it contributed to fatigue.

I have no quarrel with those who choose to wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle. I do take exception to those who would FORCE me to wear one!

43 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Riders tend to ride ten to fifteen miles per hour faster when wearing a helmet.

Helmets of the full face variety diminish hearing by an average of forty percent.

Two of the points you mention.

Statistics show that the more training a rider receives, the more likely they are to continue to push their level of riding.  This is usually indicated by increased speed in turns.

Older helmets and new cheaper helmets create wind noise which will appear to reduce hearing.  What a lot of people don't understand is that riding with no helmet also creates wind noise which not only affects your hearing while on the bike, but over extended periods will affect hearing for life.  Riding behind a large windshield may help, as long as loud pipes aren't also playing a factor.

I am 100% for each rider to make their own choice and I won't try to preach to anyone to dress like I do.

I also ALWAYS wear earplugs of some kind when I'm riding, regardless of which helmet I have on.

Helmet from accident 7/17/17. Broken metatarsals right foot, extreme bruising to both feet & knees, bruising everywhere, 3 broken and 3 cracked ribs on right side, 3 cracked ribs left side. 

Bell Mag 9

6D4F0163-3E41-4411-AF13-DFF774F1C910.thumb.jpeg.89f474dfdf24b57514671e5dc9011545.jpeg

C8124204-68AE-4486-8E6C-44EA9FF187F3.thumb.jpeg.de234fa7a17b6e27d4b5e9c68362e79e.jpeg

Helmet from Accident 7/11/19. 3 shattered ribs in back near T6, T7, T8 vertebrae. Fractured T6 from prior accident had more compression, Left lung punctured, 3 fractured ribs left front, several cracked ribs right side, lovely road rash on knees and left elbow, joint trauma to knees, both feet bruising on soles (weird), lots of aches and pains- soft tissue damage. 

HJC modular 

9D6F4FF5-BE1F-4BB9-A7C6-B947F8D426AD.thumb.jpeg.9cb1f01447be1cd7f33bfab0a339a0c6.jpeg

B167F0DF-D16C-470D-BF63-98B4461E83FA.thumb.jpeg.0fe1de7f13c5907526a0c18d817c42a1.jpeg

529F6A07-072F-4660-8486-89EE7C545E67.thumb.jpeg.3c3dba9d1638924ca2ee27c33c3640ca.jpeg

BE54FC72-59A6-4F03-A7E5-91D53F7797BB.thumb.jpeg.d3a21548e06defa6c6c4c9303eba73c6.jpeg

Both accidents were the fault of drivers who should not have been driving. The first was an 86 year old man that couldn’t pass a mandatory retest. The second was a young girl that borrowed mom’s car and had no idea what mirrors were for. 

To each his own. Rode for over 35 years rarely wore a helmet. When I got on the autobahn in Europe I always wore a helmet. If I were riding on todays American highways I would wear one, however I spent most of my time on country roads, adding time and leisure to my rides. Then I never wore a helmet. 

Today, all the city freaks are coming to the country and bringing their crappy driving habits with them. Glad I’m not riding anymore. When I bought my place 25 years ago we were lucky to see 30 cars a day go by in addition to the farm equipment and farmers. Now I’m lucky if that number is in an hour and they are all in a hurry somewhere. I live on a double S curve and would be hesitant to pull out on a bike. 

No no way on today country invasion by city folk with bad driving habits that I would with or without helmet. 

Something I wanted to mention regarding safety gear and what not to wear. Steel toed boots. NOT to wear. My surgeon in Oregon said if he could he would ban them, especially for motorcyclists. During an accident if your foot gets folded like mine did one usually breaks a few bones. Foot surgery sux! Don’t wear steel toes on a bike. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Helmet from accident 7/17/17. Broken metatarsals right foot, extreme bruising to both feet & knees, bruising everywhere, 3 broken and 3 cracked ribs on right side, 3 cracked ribs left side. 

Bell Mag 9

Helmet from Accident 7/11/19. 3 shattered ribs in back near T6, T7, T8 vertebrae. Fractured T6 from prior accident had more compression, Left lung punctured, 3 fractured ribs left front, several cracked ribs right side, lovely road rash on knees and left elbow, joint trauma to knees, both feet bruising on soles (weird), lots of aches and pains- soft tissue damage. 

HJC modular 

529F6A07-072F-4660-8486-89EE7C545E67.thumb.jpeg.3c3dba9d1638924ca2ee27c33c3640ca.jpeg

BE54FC72-59A6-4F03-A7E5-91D53F7797BB.thumb.jpeg.d3a21548e06defa6c6c4c9303eba73c6.jpeg

Both accidents were the fault of drivers who should not have been driving. The first was an 86 year old man that couldn’t pass a mandatory retest. The second was a young girl that borrowed mom’s car and had no idea what mirrors were for. 

That helmet reminds me of the one on Gort, from "The Day the Earth Stood Still".  :)

dtess-018.jpg?w=640&ssl=1

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Something I wanted to mention regarding safety gear and what not to wear. Steel toed boots. NOT to wear. My surgeon in Oregon said if he could he would ban them, especially for motorcyclists. During an accident if your foot gets folded like mine did one usually breaks a few bones. Foot surgery sux! Don’t wear steel toes on a bike. 

I might add steel shank boots. I was working one day and a friend brought by his new Yamaha 360 Enduro. I tried starting it (kickstarter) and it kicked back! Bent the steel shank in the boot at about 45 degrees and I had a hell of a time getting the boot off. I had to beat the shank back into place with a tire tool and hammer!:rolleyes:

20 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Those who don’t are called organ donors.  

Old veteran paramedic here and too many war stories to include.
Please wear 'em.
I've seen too many helmets, after the fact, with deep nasty gouges to say otherwise!

21 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

yep, always

Honda Shadow 1100

What Year is your Shadow?

Mine is Red 2005

Jabez Cowboy

Archived