SASS Wire Forum

Junior Gunfighter

Rye Miles #13621

On 12/14/2022 at 4:39 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

•  

SASS Territorial Governor Voting Items                                     

Effective date: Jan 15, 2023

ITEM #1 - Allowing competitors to shoot Gunfighter style in the Junior Category. 

OPTION 1: (VOTE NO) - No change. Under current Gunfighter category rules, Gunfighter is an open category. (No age restrictions). A Junior could shoot in the Gunfighter category. 

SHB p. 10: Above the “Base Categories” listed in this handbook, the local club monthly match and club annual match level, all SASS recognized shooting categories may be offered by subdividing by all factors, including age, gender, shooting style, and propellant.

*Shooting categories offered at any match are ultimately at the discretion of the Match Officials to ensure the success and viability of each match individually.

OPTION 2: (VOTE YES) Allow Gunfighter-style in the Junior category as follows: 

SHB p.5: 

AGE BASED CATEGORIES 

Age based categories are offered to allow all participants to compete amongst their peers. Age based categories carry the following guidelines: 

- May use any main match revolver. 

- Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter.

      * Junior category shooters may shoot Gunfighter-style under close supervision.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks 

Randy 

I was told Saturday by a member of the SASS Board that I was telling my club wrong about Voting Issue #1, Junior Shooters allowed to shoot Gunfighter Style in the Junior Category. He said that this would only allow a Junior shooter to shoot Gunfighter style for the entire match if they declared at the start of the match they were shooting Gunfighter. This would not let them change shooting style depending on the setup of individual stages. They would have to shoot the entire match either 2-handed or duelist ( as both are allowed in age-based categories) or Gunfighter style.  I apologize if I have swayed anyone with wrong information but I certainly didn’t understand it the way he said and apparently many others didn’t either. 

If we can get updated wording on the voting issue that explains this better I’ll go back to my club for another vote. Currently we’re overwhelmingly no on #1 but apparently I explained it incorrectly according to him. 

Thanks

Randy

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently shooters in the age-based JUNIOR category are NOT ALLOWED to shoot Gunfighter-style.
"Revolvers may be shot in any SASS legal shooting style – EXCEPT Gunfighter."
That same restriction applies to ALL "Age-based" categories.

A YES vote on the ballot issue would REMOVE the "EXCEPT Gunfighter" restriction for Junior category competitors.

It would NOT require a Junior category competitor to declare/commit to shooting Gunfighter-style for an entire match.

The allowance would be similar to B-Western category which allows a shooter to use ANY shooting style "at will".

A
NO vote would maintain current rules that do not prohibit a "16 and under" competitor from signing up in Gunfighter category.
A
NO vote also does not change the current allowance for a match to offer a "Junior Gunfighter" category (as noted in the ballot text). In that case, all Gunfighter category rules would apply...including the option to shoot "Double Duelist-style" on any or all stages in a match.

Without looking at the handbook, I recollect that B Western requires spurs.

Add spurs and two loaded revolvers out...What could go wrong?  :D

Anyway that was a joke, son!

I am a TG and gathering votes on both item.

MG

Archived