SASS Wire Forum

which is a safer motorcycle - big one or little one?

Alpo

If you were going to choose a bike, based solely on the safety of riding it, would you prefer a 350 Honda or a 650 Kawasaki or a 1200 Harley Davidson. I chose those particular brands because I know there is, or at least there was, a bike of that size by those manufacturers.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve hit 52 mph on a bicycle and 130 mph on a motorcycle. Friends have died riding both. It’s the speed at which you hit the pavement or collide with something that’s the biggest factor, but sometimes that happens at walking speeds too. Like when a driver opens his car door in front of you.

No two wheeled conveyance is more or less safe than the next. 

In traffic? Neither. None. Especially where I live. Way too many total dumbasses in cages 100% oblivious to what they are doing.

Been there. Never again.

Honestly I would call all of those small. For large my thoughts go for Harley dresser, Honda Goldwing etc. After riding Full dress Harley's for around 500 thousand miles, I feel larger is better. Better chance of the idiots in cars seeing you and way more creature comforts. Appreciated on a long trip.

Having ridden half a million miles on motorcycles, I don’t know if I can really say.

I have been hurt much worse on smaller motorcycles, but that’s just me.

A Kawasaki 650 KLR will take a ditch much better than a Kawasaki 600 Ninja.

Regardless of motorcycle size a lot depends on the rider, experience and surroundings. One can die just as easily on a scooter as on a big full dresser.

I will say this, in a fast moving situation it is way easier to control a smaller bike than it is a larger one should you have to maneuver quickly or lay one down. 

I have owned the first 2 but not the 3rd. Personally, when I got to feeling too threatened by the cars I hung a sidecar on my 1000cc BMW. Not as maneuverable but I sure get cut off a lot less. I do feel safer on my Honda 500 then my Kawasaki 200, the bike just rides more steady and is less affected by irregularities in the road surface.

My personal opinion is when riding on pavement the bigger the better. Some bad situations can be avoided when you have the HP to accelerate. 

Big or small doesn't matter when you hit an immovable object.

I have been Riding Bikes of Various displacements since 1968 Starting with those between 50cc. and 100cc I currently own a Yamaha 200 cc. TT, 1981 GS 650GL and a Honda 1,100cc Shadow Spirit ... I have owned British, Spanish , Swedish, German, Italian, Japanese, Canadian and USA built bikes. The only bike I would never buy again is a Harley. My little brother owns two newer Harley's and says they are far less work to keep running than the bikes of Yore... A friend of mine rode Harley's for 25 years and rebuilt the motor on his bike 23 years of those years about 12 years ago he bought a Honda Goldwing... He has been giving his tools a rest ever since...

I have ridden a good many miles, I have been rear-ended twice on the road , been forced of the road 4 times, once I slid down the High-way on my side at 80 miles per hour ( luckily I got both legs top-side) and I crushed 4 inch of bone in my right ankle went the bike in front of me blew his engine spilling oil all over the track just as I made my move to lap him on the track...

In my opinion a mid displacement bike of about 650 cc of what they now call a naked style is the safest ...

Enough power to get out of the way, great brakes to avoid most stupid moves, light weight and a style that is nimble to throw around ...

Jabez Cowboy  

I'm with you Jabez. I'm in the middle of fixing up a Honda GL500. I came with a single disk up front but am installing the optional second disk from the Interstate version.

To keep up with/escape from traffic, I have a floor of 70 hp; that generally means a base of 700 cc.  Most of my bikes are 1,000 cc and up; and for me, the extra acceleration is worth it, for defensive purposes, and sheer exhilaration.

Dual discs are better, after about 350 lbs.

And, ride like everyone out there is a lunatic intent on your destruction.

I can't imagine a day without riding.

Cheers,

FJT

The keys to safety on a bike are visibilty, awareness, handling, braking and acceleration.

A larger bike is "usually" more visible.

But this is also aided by proper gear and reflective surfaces on bike, helmet and jackets/ pants.

Awareness is a component of the rider, but includes items like better/ larger mirrors - which is also more likely on a larger bike.

Small bikes "can" be more nimble - but because smaller bikes are often considered entry level machines - they are sometimes saddled with smaller frames and lesser equipment i.e. tires, suspension, etc.

Also larger bikes are usually more ergonomic for a larger percentage of the population and a bike that pairs with the rider properly is paramount (relationships between rider and saddle, handlebars, hand controls, foot controls, footpegs/ boards, mirrors, etc) - better ergonomics generally means better handling.

Smaller bikes (entry level) are also often delivered with lesser equipment regarding brakes - and electronic assists (traction control, anti lock, etc.)  Stopping or immediately decreasing speed to facilitate handling can save lives.

Smaller bikes can also be dangerously slow and often times - the ability to accelerate away from danger is just (or even more so) as important as the ability to slow.

But this is not always limited to smaller bikes as the bikes response to throttle input is of utmost importance as well (a big bike that doesnt GO when you twist on it will get you killed just as easily as a small bike).

There is NO SUCH THING as a safe bike - riding two wheels is inherently dangerous.

I say it like this - on a motorcycle; everything outside your driveway needs to be considered Australia, meaning everything you come across is not only capable of killing you - it would like nothing better than to do so. 

(no offense toward my Aussie friends).

All of that being said - the RIDER plays a much larger role in keeping themselves safe than an arbitrary cubic centimeter engine size or a set of saddlebags.

Quality helmets, gloves, armored jackets and proper footwear and understanding your limitations/ riding within your skillset and spatial awareness will go a LOT further toward keeping you safe than engine size or bike type.

Remember no matter what you ride - that while you may be in the right regarding your lane, yielding, right of way or who arrived at the stop sign first - the car/ truck/ semi/ train will ALWAYS win any disagreement between you and them.

Painted side up, rubber side down and ride safe.

2 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

The keys to safety on a bike are visibilty, awareness, handling, braking and acceleration.

Having decided not to get a bike (was always on my bucket list), I think volume should be on the safety list.

In recognition of oblivious idiots on the road not knowing you are near them, louder is better. Of course many of these same idiots can not register the semi truck they are about to merge into.

There's a reason the motorcycle academy uses small bikes to teach new students.  Easier to handle, more responsive.  

Downside is less comfortable than a big bike.

'Load pipes save lives' is horrible advice. Doppler effect make the noise of your exhaust useless.

ATGAT All The Gear All The Time is the only way to go. Like @Creeker, SASS #43022 said assume you're invisible and they ALL want to kill you.

Riding isn't inherently dangerous its just less safe than a cage.

I've ridden 350, 500,750 and 1100. My next ride will be a 1300 and likely my last purchase so I want one that I like and is comfortable

38 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Having decided not to get a bike (was always on my bucket list), I think volume should be on the safety list.

In recognition of oblivious idiots on the road not knowing you are near them, louder is better. Of course many of these same idiots can not register the semi truck they are about to merge into.

I can tell you from experience that volume only placates the guy that thinks that.   At Highway speeds. Noise out the back doesn’t equate to safety in front, believe me. 

Also, in my case, just because you load the front end up with bright lights people still ignore you. 

By my estimation 10% of people driving at any given moment on and given road are idiots, self-absorbed morons or just plain selfish, rude ***clowns. 
In heavy traffic that 10% is all around you. 
In light traffic you have a little room to deal with or avoid them. 

7 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

In my opinion a mid displacement bike of about 650 cc of what they now call a naked style is the safest ...

Enough power to get out of the way, great brakes to avoid most stupid moves, light weight and a style that is nimble to throw around ...

I agree. It’s one of the reasons I selected a Kawasaki Versys 650 LT. 650’s today have the power of 900’s 10-15 years ago. Mine has dual discs in the front. Grippy wet and dry tires - Michelin Road 5 tires. Dual lights aweigh dual LED driving / Fog lights. I wear a sliver helmet and a black jacket on sunny days and a Day-Glo yellow jacket on cloudy or rainy days…with armor, of course. 

Night shots and one day shot of my bike to show lighting:

19D37DEF-BB22-42ED-B2BD-EC81F33555F3.thumb.jpeg.dd73511b2112a926baea41c104d760df.jpeg

725274A6-AF50-45C8-A73E-5B0C131159FB.thumb.jpeg.aab2b380b4efed89ec6101679761a606.jpeg

0AC7D6E0-3EF4-4C70-ACF8-445A1A973952.thumb.jpeg.834423e1f125aeb87456813f78ef1591.jpeg

41FF4518-8B74-4467-BA6C-17CCCD5541F9.thumb.jpeg.b0ea5422dac8e9de8444f9396f30d5b3.jpeg

I seem to have fallen in love with the new Harley Davidson 1250 Sportster S. I saw one the other day and I really like the looks of that machine. 

36 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I hear this argument quite a bit.  Have you ever seen an emergency vehicle with horns/sirens pointing backwards?

Size doesn't matter and "volume" is just an annoyance.

A much better approach is to learn to ride the motorcycle and anticipate the traffic around you.  There are a lot of training courses available, but too many "riders" think they don't need to take a training course because they already know how to ride.  Really no different than a shooter claiming they don't need to take a handgun safety/training course.

I have typically found the rider that claims "I had to lay it down to avoid...." is a rider that hasn't had a training class or doesn't practice training on a regular basis.

2 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

I have typically found the rider that claims "I had to lay it down to avoid...." is a rider that hasn't had a training class or doesn't practice training on a regular basis.

I can tell you from ass on the road experience that laying it down can save your life versus going over a guard rail in a canyon or going through the side of a car that just pulled out in front of you. 

Pat,

The Verseys was on my short list for a while. Great platform for many reasons. I have not thought of that bike until just now... thanks a lot. ;)

36 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

Pat,

The Verseys was on my short list for a while. Great platform for many reasons. I have not thought of that bike until just now... thanks a lot. ;)

Let me help you. If you plan on riding lots of twisty roads the Versys 650 is very top heavy  and can be a bit squirrelly. It requires a lot more attention at speed. For sport touring it’s a blast. It’s designed like a sport bike in every way except the seating position and the high center of gravity. 
I think Kawasaki thought it would make a great Adventure bike. I would never take this bike in the dirt. 

39 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can tell you from ass on the road experience that laying it down can save your life versus going over a guard rail in a canyon or going through the side of a car that just pulled out in front of you. 

I did say "typically".

There are always exceptions to every rule.  Yes, laying a bike down may be a safer option.  Reduced speed, alternate lane positions and being more attentive are "usually" better options.

As for going over a guardrail (even into one) or into the side of a car, it would depend on what you hit afterward .  I do not say that lightly and I'm not trying to just be argumentative.  I believe that MOST motorcycle riders, who are honest, can look back at MOST accidents they are involved in and see where it could have been avoided if they had better positioned themselves in a traffic lane or adjusted their speed.

The type of bike also makes a huge difference is how agile they are to avoid obstacles.  Heavy cruisers, with feet/hands forward and a$$ back are terrible at maneuvering.  Crotch rocket/road racers are not much better at slow speeds due to steering angle.  Adventure bikes/standards are the most maneuverable, but then you need to be aware of how top-heavy they can be.

2 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

Heavy cruisers, with feet/hands forward and a$$ back are terrible at maneuvering. 

Boy-oh-boy, I 100% agree with that statement. My crash in 2017 on my Kawasaki Vulcan really proved this out for me. 

I started riding dirt bikes in 1969. I got my first street bike in 1979. That 10 years of off road riding allowed me to learn what I needed to know to ride as safely as possible amongst people in large vehicles. 

5 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Pat,

And don't think about the Versys 1000, like the one I have...20210807_103814(1).thumb.jpg.47f8ddba198983351e3422b0f5ef54b4.jpg

I have only had 2 serious accidents in my 50 years of riding most every day, and both could have been avoided by me. On my Honda 350 all cafe'd  and Yoshimura'd out I tried to keep up with some Triumph's and just overstepped my ability and ran myself off the road. Launched my self over the bars and knocked myself unconscious, but later managed to drive home, even though my bike now only turned hard right and straight!

The second time I had a Pinto(told you I have been driving a while!) pull a U-turn right in front of me, leaving me no where to go. I managed to slow down enough so that I wasn't thrown from the bike, but I did manage to dent the right passenger door pretty good. It was mostly my fault as I had just done some engine work to the bike and was paying more attention to seeing how it ran instead of paying attention to traffic.

Fortunately I managed to learn from my mistakes and haven't had more than a few close calls in the last 40 years, mostly with people in other vehicles not paying attention. Cell phones have had a part in most of these.

My sidecar about 15 years ago. I wasn't driving my bikes much at all because of the kids so I hung a sidecar on it to haul them to school, Karate lessons, Boy Scouts.  That is Little Blacky and Thunder Iron sitting there. Thunder will have his own bike license on the 30th of this month. Little Blacky has parking lot drove the sidecar as most of my bikes are too tall for her, she is only 5" tall. I think the 1964 Honda 160 Dream I bought recently might fit her OK, though. FWIW I much prefer the handling on the Honda compared to my Blue Kawasaki next to the Honda, although both are much too small for me.

BMWsidecar-1.webp

20221105_124933.jpg

6 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

There's a reason the motorcycle academy uses small bikes to teach new students.  Easier to handle, more responsive.  

Downside is less comfortable than a big bike.

The Motorcycle training courses use small bikes for training because they are lighter,  less intimidating, less powerful and cheaper.

There will rarely be a class where a bike does not get slow speed dropped or fall over. 

A Honda Rebel costs a lot less than a Ducati - simple economic reasons.  

In no way should their choices for cheapest option in a parking lot be held up as a guide to the best bike on the road.

An analogy would be a firearms training class where the pistols are provided - the instructors are going to provide Taurus/ Canik polymer pistols in 9mm.

Perfectly servicible firearms that will function, accomodate all shooters and are cheap enough to not care when one gets dropped in the dirt. 

But NONE of us would look at their choice and state that was the absolute "best" choice for outside the range.

38 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

The Motorcycle training courses use small bikes for training because they are lighter,  less intimidating, less powerful and cheaper.

There will rarely be a class where a bike does not get slow speed dropped or fall over. 

A Honda Rebel costs a lot less than a Ducati - simple economic reasons.  

In no way should their choices for cheapest option in a parking lot be held up as a guide to the best bike on the road.

Not arguing with you on that.  My point is that small bikes are easier for a beginner to learn how to use, and more forgiving than a 900 pound touring bike.  In no way did I mean to be understood that they were the best choice overall.

That said, I have never owned anything smaller than a Honda Shadow 1100, and currently ride a 2017 HD Road King.  

Let's ask my boy. The one that sold his bike the week his son was born. "I HAVE TO come home now, dad." Two major wrecks. Two new knees and a rod in his femur. And a TBI to make things interesting. Velocity is everything.

IMG_20151115_144257959.jpg

Got hit head on at a traffic light by an old lady when I was 22. Shortened my Harley chopper from 14' to 7! Broke my neck, collapsed a lung, broke both bone in my rt.  wrist , and broke my left foot! Glad I was stopped I guess.

Then around 2000, totaled a brand new Ultra into a doe at abt. 40mph. No one injured other than a scraped elbow. The game warden wanted to know if I wanted the deer if they found. I sure do said I, it will be good eating.

36 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Not arguing with you on that.  My point is that small bikes are easier for a beginner to learn how to use, and more forgiving than a 900 pound touring bike.  In no way did I mean to be understood that they were the best choice overall.

That said, I have never owned anything smaller than a Honda Shadow 1100, and currently ride a 2017 HD Road King.  

I misunderstood then and I apologize.

My bikes started at six years old - a Yamaha YZ80.

Then...

Suzuki 90

Suzuki 125 Dual purpose

Honda CB200

Honda CB350

Honda CB400 (fast bike)

Honda CB500 (slow bike)

Yamaha 550 Vision (neat bike)

Honda 600 Nighthawk

Honda CB750 with 836cc kit and Turbo (stupid fast squirrelly bike)

Honda 900 custom (loved that bike)

Kawasaki 900 vertical twin (hated that bike)

Yamaha 900 V twin (Harley pretender)

BMW 1000 flat twin (loved that bike)

Harley Sportster XLCH 1000 (1972 kickstart only)

Harley Wide Glide 1340

Harley Heritage Special 1340

then I tore up my knee in a fall completely unrelated to motorcycles and went without a bike for a while.  When the bug bit again and I had to admit I didnt feel safe holding up a bike any longer (especially with a passenger); I purchased a three wheeler.

2021 Can Am Spyder Limited 1330

20220412_164022_HDR.jpg

Archived