SASS Wire Forum

Trailboss powder

Finagler 6853 Life

I thought Trailboss powder was classified as unobtanium and discontinued until further notice.  Glad I stocked up years ago.  I see in the latest Natchez Shooters Supply catalog that they are offering Trailboss.  So it is either old stock or new production.  I know the Trailboss thing has been discussed before but I haven't been paying attention.

They are not "offering" anything.  The website says Out of Stock as it has for months.  Trailboss is not currently being made and may never be made again.

Their catalog has nothing to do with stock. Same basic catalog year after year in my observation. Check online for availability.

If'n any of you are near North Central Arkansas, I have a can if you want it.

27 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The site used to say that they planned on making and distributing Trail Boss in 2023. 

Good news for me.

I love the stuff.

13 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Good news for me.

I love the stuff.

I discovered Trail Boss late in the game. I am pretty sure I bought the last 2 - 9oz containers in USA. I really like it in .45 Colt. Looking forward to getting some more. 

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The site used to say that they planned on making and distributing Trail Boss in 2023. 

Yep..being told here that TB  hopefully back on Aussie shelves  between March - June '023..shotgun powder is our main concern as ADI definitely not going to make it anymore !!!

Do you know the brand Reload Swiss in the USA and Australia? Are RS powders available there? Because their new powder RS14 seems to be released now:

Announcement:

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/produkte/rs20_pistol_powder/rs14_rifle_pistol_powder/index.php

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/tipps___tricks/tipps_und_tricks_neu_1/einfuehrung_rs14/index.php

Load data:

https://reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/service_2/rs_ladedaten_1/index.php?kaliber=-&pulver=RS14&hersteller=-&gew_gesch=gr&gew_ladung=gr&geschw_mass=ft

It's supposed to be a copy of Trail Boss but with a different grain geometry that should better drop. Two of my pards got a can to test it in different calibers a couple of month ago. I also received a couple .45 Colt rounds to shoot, very pleasant! I will definitely settle on this powder in the future.

It might be available only in Europe yet, but if there's a demand world wide, who knows...?

Greetings from Switzerland

Equanimous Phil

5 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Do you know the brand Reload Swiss in the USA and Australia? Are RS powders available there? Because their new powder RS14 seems to be released now:

Announcement:

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/produkte/rs20_pistol_powder/rs14_rifle_pistol_powder/index.php

https://www.reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/tipps___tricks/tipps_und_tricks_neu_1/einfuehrung_rs14/index.php

Load data:

https://reload-swiss.com/en/reload_swiss/service_2/rs_ladedaten_1/index.php?kaliber=-&pulver=RS14&hersteller=-&gew_gesch=gr&gew_ladung=gr&geschw_mass=ft

It's supposed to be a copy of Trail Boss but with a different grain geometry that should better drop. Two of my pards got a can to test it in different calibers a couple of month ago. I also received a couple .45 Colt rounds to shoot, very pleasant! I will definitely settle on this powder in the future.

It might be available only in Europe yet, but if there's a demand world wide, who knows...?

Equanimous Phil

Thanks Equanimous Phil. If/when that makes it's way into Canada, I'll have to try some. 

Do you have any idea of it's performance in cold -0 weather?

27 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Do you have any idea of it's performance in cold -0 weather?

Unfortunately not, as we do not shoot outdoors during winter. Our last outdoor match is usually end of October and start is middle of March, usually with temperatures >10°C (50°F). But I'll ask my pards when I meet them next time.

Shoot the ORIGINAL Trailboss Powder .

It's called Unique  !

17 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Announcement:

Load data:

Equanimous Phil

Howdy Phil...At the moment we would take any powder we can get..hopefully the RS may make it down-under. As a matter of interest have you shot on the rifle range in Switzerland that shoots over a main highway...wow that looks super cool !!!!!  Cheers 'Mohawk

On 12/15/2022 at 5:19 AM, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

As a matter of interest have you shot on the rifle range in Switzerland that shoots over a main highway...wow that looks super cool !!!!!  Cheers 'Mohawk

Howdy Mohawk, no, never shot there. But as Switzerland is quite a tiny and crowded place you have to be creative in planning rifle ranges. It's not that uncommon that you shoot over a street. Below is an example of another range. It's in a narrow valley in the Alps that i cross quite often when I go snowboarding, and I always wonder how loud the echoing must be between those rock faces!

Basically, all the ranges are made safe with berms and walls, and some hiking trails are closed during shooting. But sometimes there are hikers ignoring the signs...:rolleyes:

SaasBalen_s.thumb.jpg.67b6fe242d2b8cc535aefe6c11c411f3.jpg

SaasBalen_3.thumb.JPG.fba9d1927b3bd73f4178e696854fc9c7.JPG

The range isin the Saas-Tal. The valley on the left is the Matter-Tal which leads to the Matterhorn :)

Also quite impressive was when the Swiss military artillerie used to shoot over the city of Frauenfeld (~26k population) for practicing with their M109s. You could see the 155mm (training) projectiles flying above you in the sky. I guess they stopped that in about 2008.

I’ve never tried TB, I’m happy with TiteGroup or Clays . I’ve been using them for years. HP 38 is another good one.

Thank you @Equanimous Phil

I will have to try some RS14 if I can find some here in the US. I did a search for it and it seems it’s not here and lots of suppliers don’t carry Reload Swiss powders. 

I did find something very interesting. It seems many RS powders equate to Accurate powders load data. 
https://www.xxl-reloading.com/Powders/Reload-Swiss-RS-Powders/

57 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will have try try done RS14 if I can find some here in the US. I did a search for it and it seems it’s not here and lots of suppliers don’t carry Reload Swiss powders. 

I did find something very interesting. It seems many RS powders equate to Accurate powders load data. 

I haven't yet seen it on the shelves around here either, but it's brand new and I haven't been to gun stores the last few weeks.

The company's name that makes RS is NITROCHEMIE WIMMIS. It seems that they make powders for different other brands. Alliant and Hodgdon are names that pop up for sure. Maybe they are also a supplier for some Accurate powders?

By the way, is Hodgdon and IMR the same company? Because you can find IMR Trail Boss and Hodgdon Trail Boss. Is/was this the same powder? Maybe the next TB is comming from Wimmis...

Edit

Just googled it: "Hodgdon purchased IMR® Powder Company in October 2003"

When I first started with SASS, I stocked up with two 2# tubs of TB.
Glad I did, as it is truly unique (pun intended) in powders.
VV N32C Tin Star is the next closest for fluffy powders.

N32C appears sporadically on the US markets... dunno about Europe.

15 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Howdy Mohawk, no, never shot there. But as Switzerland is quite a tiny and crowded place you have to be creative in planning rifle ranges. It's not that uncommon that you shoot over a street. Below is an example of another range. It's in a narrow valley in the Alps that i cross quite often when I go snowboarding, and I always wonder how loud the echoing must be between those rock faces!

Basically, all the ranges are made safe with berms and walls, and some hiking trails are closed during shooting. But sometimes there are hikers ignoring the signs...:rolleyes:

SaasBalen_s.thumb.jpg.67b6fe242d2b8cc535aefe6c11c411f3.jpg

SaasBalen_3.thumb.JPG.fba9d1927b3bd73f4178e696854fc9c7.JPG

The range isin the Saas-Tal. The valley on the left is the Matter-Tal which leads to the Matterhorn :)

Also quite impressive was when the Swiss military artillerie used to shoot over the city of Frauenfeld (~26k population) for practicing with their M109s. You could see the 155mm (training) projectiles flying above you in the sky. I guess they stopped that in about 2008.

Thanks Phil..That looks like the range I saw on you tube..you are only allowed to shoot lying down & you have a monitor screen beside you that shows hits etc..certainly a range I would like to go to.

• 2 months later...

And next year they'll announce Trailboss available in 2025...

58 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

And next year they'll announce Trailboss available in 2025...

Optimist...

So...the company that distributes Trail Boss states that it is hearing 2024 for the next production of TB. Hearing? That means that they have no clue as to when TB will be seen again...if ever.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

So...the company that distributes Trail Boss states that it is hearing 2024 for the next production of TB. Hearing? That means that they have no clue as to when TB will be seen again...if ever.

Hodgdon doesn't make Trail Boss. They contract with ADI Australia to make it for them.

ADI has said it'll be available next year so many time they wore out the recording.

9 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Hodgdon doesn't make Trail Boss. They contract with ADI Australia to make it for them.

ADI has said it'll be available next year so many time they wore out the recording.

That's why I stated that Hodgdon distributes TB. By the time that ADI begins to produce TB again (if ever), I think they are going to find their sales of TB low and disappointing due to the fact that people have found other powder that is cleaner and performs better.

I know Vihtavuori's Tin Star is supposed to be a good replacement for Trail Boss, but the places I've looked that still have it listed on their ste all show it as either out of stock or discontinued.

It's getting hard to find a good cowboy powder that is actually "in stock" regardless of what flavor tastes best.

OH Well.

Maybe I'll load some of the Lil Gun I bought on the advice of a shop owner, when I aske dif he had something I could use in .45 Colt under a 250 grain LRNFP for CAS. (Didn't know the powder then)

That should prove interesting and I can go back to my WARTHOG designation.

I don't think Lil Gun is meant for reduced loads. It's meant for .410, of course, and heavy magnum sixgun loads. I use it in .410 and .475 Linebaugh.

Archived