SASS Wire Forum

Air Rifle For Hunting

Subdeacon Joe

So as not to derail the .410 for turkey hunting thread I decided to start a new thread

Here is an interactive map showing what can be legally hunted in each state with air rifles.  https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-map/#CA

By the way, only 3 states allow air rifles for hunting turkeys;. CA, MD, & VA.

13 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Subdeacon Joe the map doesn't have a key.  Since the words are red is that the key?  Red means legal method of take and grey means illegal.

Find a state on the map and click on it.  The game that is legal to take with an airgun will be displayed along with power restrictions.

From the linked page:

1. Airgun hunting by state: Simply click on the state, and it will list all the species that are allowed to be hunted in that state.
  2. Airgun hunting by specific game: Choose any state, and click on the species name you want, and it will highlight all the states where that particular species can be legally hunted.

Because of the ever changing laws, use this map as a guide, but consult with your local state authorities to be sure there are no recent state changes impacting hunting laws and regulations in that particular state!

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

So as not to derail the .410 for turkey hunting thread I decided to start a new thread

Here is an interactive map showing what can be legally hunted in each state with air rifles.  https://www.pyramydair.com/airgun-map/#CA

By the way, only 3 states allow air rifles for hunting turkeys;. CA, MD, & VA.

What airgun do you have - I posted mine earlier e.g. Seneca Dragon Claw .50 W/BSA Contender  6-24x40 1/8 MOA. But can't use airbolts in ND.

2 minutes ago, Charlie T Waite said:

What airgun do you have - I posted mine earlier e.g. Seneca Dragon Claw .50 W/BSA Contender  6-24x40 1/8 MOA. But can't use airbolts in ND.

None at the moment.  Well, an old Benjamin 5mm that I use to shoot rats on the bird feeders.

Just now, Subdeacon Joe said:

None at the moment.  Well, an old Benjamin 5mm that I use to shoot rats on the bird feeders.

Here's mine with the sling I just made.  Also sighted in at 45 yds on a 50' target had a raged hole from 3 shots about 1" w/5 shots.

IMG_4596.jpg

IMG_4598.jpg

IMG_4597.jpg

IMG_4599.jpg

Interesting. West Virginia just recently added air guns to their list of approved hunting weapons. 
I was in a PA gun store and the guy tried to sell me an “air rifle that shoots arrows” (bolts). He said they were legal for deer in WV, but not in PA. Turns out he was wrong. 
Joe, your admonishment to verify laws in one’s state is a very good recommendation. 
Here in WV an air gun must shoot .45” dia. projectiles or larger and weigh at least 200 grains for deer. 

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Joe, your admonishment to verify laws in one’s state is a very good recommendation. 
Here in WV an air gun must shoot .45” dia. projectiles or larger and weigh at least 200 grains for deer. 

Thanks, but that was straight off the Pyramidair site.

Sorry, Pards, I want something that will put them down dead, quicker.  I recognize that even a heartshot deer can run nearly 100 yds, but I prefer to do the animal in quicker.  And I have killed a few wild hogs down Tennessee way years back. Used a .30-06 at about 10 yds, behind the front shoulder that put the hawg down dead before it hit the grown, and two more at about 30 yds with a .33 WCF. Again, fast.  The third one did have to be given a second shot because the first one was the round that penetrated the one in front of it. (Couldn't see the pig behind it.) Just MHO!

Happy Holidays, Pards!

32 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Sorry, Pards, I want something that will put them down dead, quicker.  I recognize that even a heartshot deer can run nearly 100 yds, but I prefer to do the animal in quicker.  And I have killed a few wild hogs down Tennessee way years back. Used a .30-06 at about 10 yds, behind the front shoulder that put the hawg down dead before it hit the grown, and two more at about 30 yds with a .33 WCF. Again, fast.  The third one did have to be given a second shot because the first one was the round that penetrated the one in front of it. (Couldn't see the pig behind it.) Just MHO!

Happy Holidays, Pards!

Air Rifle Hunting Cape Buffalo | The High Road with Keith Warren

Also

24 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Happy Holidays, Pards!

As long as it delivers the energy down range, what difference does the platform make?   

4 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

My only air rifles are full-auto BB guns. Probably not legal for hunting anything other than rabid Coke cans, but still a lot of fun. :)

2gunsfiring.gif.0701c709627ae582dff2ee9a9366be19.gif

1212797821_2thumbsup.jpg.dab1c3b8bf5b9810f5f88858549835fe.jpg

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

As long as it delivers the energy down range, what difference does the platform make?   

It doesn't except to people that want it to.

19 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

?????

That doesn't make sense since a fair number of people do take deer, pig, and other game with air rifles . 

Yeah, you have to get close and can't take a bull elk three counties away. As with any weapon you have to know its limitations and your limitations with it.

5 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Happy Holidays, Pards!

5 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

55 minutes ago, Chief Rick said:

29 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

?????

That doesn't make sense since a fair number of people do take deer, pig, and other game with air rifles . 

Yeah, you have to get close and can't take a bull elk three counties away. As with any weapon you have to know its limitations and your limitations with it.

It doesn't matter what platform is used if the energy on target is the same, except to people that want to make a point of using one platform over another.

270 vs 30-06

30-06 vs 308

308 vs 7mm - 08

7mm - 08 vs 243

There are people that will argue that one of these should not be used when the other should.  And while these are cartridges, people are doing the same with platforms.

Flintlock vs caplock

Flintlock vs in-line muzzleloader

Slug-gun vs centerfire rifle

A bit of history is in order.  Large caliber airguns have been around for quite some time and used successfuly both for hunting and as a military arm.  e.g. The .46-caliber Girandoni air rifle was a secret weapon on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  With a full air reservoir, the Girardoni air rifle had the capacity to shoot 30 shots at useful pressure. These balls were effective to approximately 125 yd (114 m) on a full air reservoir.  The Girardoni air rifle was an important first. It was the first repeating rifle of a specific general kind to enter general military service.[8] It was one of the first uses of a tubular magazine.  The late 16th and early 17th century examples were used in the field for hunting, boar and deer and employed the same propulsion method, a rudimentary pneumatic pump to fill the butt stock chamber with pressurized air which provided muzzle velocities of 700-950 feet per second.

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

doesn't matter what platform is used if the energy on target is the same, except to people that want to make a point of using one platform over another.

Ah!   I took it as meaning that air rifles can't deliver enough energy to do the job and that people deluded themselves when they thought air rifles were good enough for hunting.

I don't see it as "making a point" but more of just having another possible platform.

I do get a chuckle when people blow the trumpet for the latest and greatest cartridge and are dismissive of the cartridges that have proven their effectiveness for a hundred years or more.  Especially when the round they are singing the praises of have almost identical ballistics of one of the century old workhorses.

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I do get a chuckle when people blow the trumpet for the latest and greatest cartridge and are dismissive of the cartridges that have proven their effectiveness for a hundred years or more.  Especially when the round they are singing the praises of have almost identical ballistics of one of the century old workhorses.

6.5 Creedmore vs 6.5x55 Swede? B)

On 12/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, Charlie T Waite said:

A bit of history is in order.  Large caliber airguns have been around for quite some time and used successfuly both for hunting and as a military arm.  e.g. The .46-caliber Girandoni air rifle was a secret weapon on the Lewis and Clark Expedition.  With a full air reservoir, the Girardoni air rifle had the capacity to shoot 30 shots at useful pressure. These balls were effective to approximately 125 yd (114 m) on a full air reservoir.  The Girardoni air rifle was an important first. It was the first repeating rifle of a specific general kind to enter general military service.[8] It was one of the first uses of a tubular magazine.  The late 16th and early 17th century examples were used in the field for hunting, boar and deer and employed the same propulsion method, a rudimentary pneumatic pump to fill the butt stock chamber with pressurized air which provided muzzle velocities of 700-950 feet per second.

There are some people who credit the Girandoni, and a little deception regarding the expedition's armory, for being the reason a small band of explorers were able to trek from St Louis to Fort Clatsop and back relatively unmolested by Native Americans.

Archived