SASS Wire Forum

WTB Uberti 1866 (Found One and bought it) Thank you all for your interest

Fallon Kid

Hey Y’all. I’m looking for a Uberti 1866 45 colt 20”carbine but open to anything available. Was thinking of using this as a black powder SASS gun. Plus I don’t have an 1866 and that is reason enough.

I’m in Northern Nevada and still young enough to drive to a meet up in the Western Territory.  Please keep in mind I’m old, confused and easily taken advantage of. There is nobody to tell me NO. I sold a kidney 2 years back to buy an Aydt  Schuetzen*  22LR so down to cash on hand.

And a bit serious, I have a Marlin Cowboy Limited 45 colt. Is a Marlin OK for black powder.  I tend to shy away from Marlin as throwing that brass down range leads to brass going AWOL.

Thanks. Please MSG me or PM for my phone number. Fallon Kid  a.k.a Jerry

*Came with period Unertl scope and original iron peep sights making this decision a ‘good choice’

Marlins are great for BP because they are so easy to take apart to clean, something you will likely be doing on a somewhat regular basis shooting BP.

If you have an opportunity to get one in one of the bottle necked cartridges, 38-40 or 44-40, you will be a lot happier in the long run as they stay a lot cleaner.  Harder to find, but they are out there.  My Local Gun Store has/had a '66 in 38-40 when I was there a week ago, and they had a '73 in 44-40 3 weeks ago, but I don't know current status of either.  They did have at least one new '66 there in 45 as well, but I wasn't looking at prices as I was there for another reason.

You can give them a call but obviously, there would be an FFL to FFL shipment involved.  Atlantic Guns, Rockville, Maryland  You can tell them Dogmeat from the Damascus Wildlife Rangers told you to call.  They will probably only charge you 10% extra! :lol:

Actually, they are great folks there and have supported our club since it's inception 25 years ago.  They have also been our Main Match Sponsor for the MD State Match for the last 23 years.  (Shameless Plug, but I am not affiliated with them in any way, other than $$$$ leaving my pocket and going into their cash register! :P)

I second what Dogmeat Dad says - I have a 1860 Henry in .45 Colt and a 1866 Winchester in .38sp, I shoot both with BP and regret not getting the bottleneck cartridges (at the time I purchased I was intimidated by the reloading process for bottleneck cases.)

I have to clean the rifles a bit after every stage - if I don't, by the 4th stage I'm typically locking up.

• Fallon Kid changed the title to WTB Uberti 1866 (Found One and bought it) Thank you all for your interest

Archived