SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use .410 for turkey hunting? Learned something interesting today.

Pat Riot

I have been researching turkey hunting here in WV and plan to hunt the Spring season. I currently do not have a turkey gun. I have been researching shotguns and came across guns listed as “Turkey shotguns” in .410.

At first I thought it was some know nothing blogger spewing silliness until I researched it a bit more. 
A few gun makers list .410 shotguns as turkey guns. The first I discovered was a Savage / Stevens 301 single shot. Then the Henry single shot and Mossberg 500. 
Then I found some articles on this issue, still thinking “This is nuts! Everyone knows you got have a 12 gauge!” 
Well, apparently not. Check this out…if you’re interested. 
https://www.fieldandstream.com/story/hunting/the-best-410-turkey-shotguns/

Or this: apparently they did see the above article.  
https://www.nwtf.org/content-hub/are-410-shotguns-ready-for-turkey-hunting

In the past decade I have injured myself pretty well. Fractured vertebrae, rib fractures and plating, joint surgeries, punctured lungs, herniated discs and so on. Firing heavy recoiling shotguns and rifles no longer has the allure it once had and I also have this bizarre paranoia about pulling the trigger and having some bone fragment pierce a spinal nerve and “Ta-Da” new lifestyle change! Sorry…silly dramatics. 

Anyway, I am curious. Have any of you turkey hunters heard of this? Apparently it’s been around since Tungsten shot shells have been tested for turkey hunting in 2018. 

40 yard kills with a .410 sounded a little far fetched until I did some reading. 

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/410-shotguns-for-turkey-hunting/

http://www.onwisconsinoutdoors.com/WisconsinBlog/Turkey-Hunting-with-a-410--TSS-Shot

I could see one of these with a red dot mounted on it as a neat little gun. 
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/new-stevens-301-single-shot-410-shotgun-for-turkey-hunting/

Tungsten shot is amazing stuff.  Yes, you can use it on turkeys.  Hal abbot has been pioneering the stuff and sells it through https://www.super18tungstenshot.com.  I don’t turkey hunt, but have used it on goose and pheasants.  Not cheap, but works well.  In your case it would make all the difference between being able to hunt or not. 

7 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't assume that a .410 doesn't have recoil.  Those turkey loads are hot and many .410s are pretty light guns.

Good point. I feel that am okay with 30-30 recoil in my lever guns, .308 in my Garand and 2 3/4” shotgun from my Mossbergs, I am just not too sure about 3” and 3 1/2” turkey loads. I was offered a Savage .300 Win. Mag. the other day for darn near free by my nephew. I politely turned that one down. ;)

7 hours ago, Still hand Bill said:

Tungsten shot is amazing stuff.  Yes, you can use it on turkeys.  Hal abbot has been pioneering the stuff and sells it through https://www.super18tungstenshot.com.  I don’t turkey hunt, but have used it on goose and pheasants.  Not cheap, but works well.  In your case it would make all the difference between being able to hunt or not. 

Thank you and thank you for that link. :)

I got nothing to add, Pat, except to say I’m glad you’re figuring out how to adapt and overcome so you still have ways to get out in the woods.

I thought I was done with sporting clays after C4 surgery a few years back. The 12 gauge hinge action guns got painful too fast, and I was paranoid of a re-injury.  Found a 20 gauge semi-auto and have stayed in the game. Might miss a few targets without the 1-1/8oz of shot, but at least I’m not sitting on the sidelines.  

Sounds like a 410 with tungsten shot is in your near future.

Do they allow a crossbow ? No recoil at all and they have ones now you can cock and de cock with a crank. Mine will ruin bolts if you shoot at the same spot a 40 yards . Some states that aren’t crossbow friendly will allow them with a Dr’s approval which it sounds like you might be eligible for 

The only good reason at all for a full choke in a .410 is turkey hunting. Why in the hell the manufacturers always put a full choke on them is lost in me. Open them up a little for squirrels, rabbits, birds and they work really well 

Interesting articles Pat. I have always hunted turkey with a 12ga. Charles Daly turkey gun. When I patterned it a couple decades ago with premium lead turkey loads of #5 or duplex 4x6 , I was amazed that even 3 1/2" shells wouldn't penetrate corrugated cardboard at 40 yards. But they wanted to make your shoulder fold backwards to touch the other! Nevers  tried this new hevi shot stuff. Sounds like it could be the answer for you.

48 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

The only good reason at all for a full choke in a .410 is turkey hunting. Why in the hell the manufacturers always put a full choke on them is lost in me. Open them up a little for squirrels, rabbits, birds and they work really well 

That is why I was thinking about the Savage 301. I can use different chokes. It uses Win. Choke Pattern ½ 32UN, per Sportsman’s Warehouse. I would also like to use it for squirrels. 
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-gear-gun-supplies/shotguns/savage-301-turkey-xp-with-red-dot-mossy-oak-bottomland-20-gauge-3in-single-shot-shotgun-26in/p/1628936?msclkid=c057daffb47a125b7f20b967cbfbdcd1&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing - DSA - Product Pages&utm_term=%2Fp%2F&utm_content=DSA - Product Pages

Whew! This tungsten ammo ain’t cheap! Federal .410 TSS 3” no. 9 shot shells 5 to a box.

374239D2-75E4-48C2-89E0-8F57EB4F3A6E.thumb.png.cf050aef7e04edd575e8edca4a6aacd4.png

For this kind of money I sure as heck won’t be using a Tasco red dot for a sight. 

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Interesting articles Pat. I have always hunted turkey with a 12ga. Charles Daly turkey gun. When I patterned it a couple decades ago with premium lead turkey loads of #5 or duplex 4x6 , I was amazed that even 3 1/2" shells wouldn't penetrate corrugated cardboard at 40 yards. But they wanted to make your shoulder fold backwards to touch the other! Nevers  tried this new hevi shot stuff. Sounds like it could be the answer for you.

I shot some #7 on a steel plate at 15 yards. It dented the plate.  I am sure if it had been sheet metal it would have gone through.  Tss is amazing stuff.  Used some 9’s on pheasant.  Found a pellet under the skin on exit.  Went all the way through, just couldn’t get out.  Went to 7’s as the 9’s just put lots pin holes in the birds.  I would often see the holes clean through the leg bones, like a little drill.  Probably great on a head shot for turkey, but doesn’t drop pheasants with authority.  The 9’s were effective, just didn’t knock them out of the air with broken bones, never lost a bird that I hit with the 9’s but they might glide off dead.   

even handloading it’s an expensive proposition.  Last time I bought shot it was $55/lb.  Made my loads about $3.50/ round. 

Want little or no recoil?  Try an Air Rifle .

Umarex Gauntlet Air Rifle for Turkey Hunting

Umarex GauntletNothing beats a reliable pre-charged pneumatic for hunting. My choice is the Umarex Gauntlet. I’d go for a .22 or, even better, a .25—both of which pack ample punch. When zeroed at 40 yards, you have more than enough range to ensure proper shot placement on a turkey.

Use a good scope. A 3-9x40 is ample for a 40 yard shot, but the more magnification, the better. The kill zone on a turkey is tiny. As they walk, they tend to keep their heads level and somewhat still as their bodies move, so that’s a plus. Otherwise, you will have to sever the spine or penetrate a dense batch of feathers over the heart.

The real appeal of the Gauntlet is the rapid fire potential of this bolt action. If the first shot misses, you may get a second or third. As the Gauntlet runs from a precharged tank, those shots are easy to fire. I’ve hunted with the Gauntlet and find I can even run the bolt from the shoulder, without breaking from the scope. Since there is almost no noise or recoil, I rarely lose sight of the target after I fire.

Turkey Hunting with Walther Parrus Pellet Rifle

Walther ParrusThe downside to any PCP is that they do have to be charged. The .25 Gauntlet will fire 20 or more shots before you have to top off the tank. You might have to leave the woods to find air (or carry a spare tank and swap them out).

Or you can simply crack open your Parrus and slide in a new pellet. The Walther Parrus in .22 is a beast. This is a hefty gun. That weight is a downer for long walks in the woods, but it makes for a very steady platform for knocking down turkeys.

The break-barrel Parrus in .22 can easily break a turkey neck, though—again—shot placement is everything. With 23 foot-pounds at the muzzle, this is a hunting gun.

The Parrus, though, is meant for the woods. The synthetic stock is ideal in wet conditions, and Walther’s smooth German engineering makes repeat accuracy easy. While I’d still recommend a scope, the Parrus has fiber optic sights that making getting a bead on a beard even faster.

RWS Model 34 Turkey Hunting Airgun

RWS Model 34 PIf you’re more of a traditionalist, the RWS 34 might appeal to you. The wooden stock of the 34 feels instantly familiar to those of us who grew up before the age of plastics. Both the Gauntlet and the Parrus have a tactile component of their innovation, but the RWS 34 feels like a classic centerfire.

Don’t discount its abilities, though. Yes, the 34 is an heirloom quality gun that—if properly cared for—will outlive you, but it is also a workhorse. There’s no need to baby it.

The 34 pushes a .22 pellet at 800 fps, which offers one-shot kill potential at reasonable ranges.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Don't assume that a .410 doesn't have recoil.  Those turkey loads are hot and many .410s are pretty light guns.

Indeed!

I made the mistake of buying a .410 H&R "Youth Model" for Sassparilla Kid when he was... well... a kid.

That thing was about the most brutal thing I've ever shot.  We quickly got rid of it (literally gave it away) and moved him on to a 20 gauge.  Years later, a really good friend gave the Kid a .410 Baikal double.  After having the truck springs replaced, it turned out to be an amazingly sweet shooter, and had a notable impact on the local dove population.

I shoot 20ga for much the same reason as Pat. Have seen a lot of videos of people who use 20's for turkey. Of the guns in the first link I'd pick the Tristar Viper, I have the Mossberg version ( both are made by  Armsan in turkey). Gas operated, less felt recoil, Beretta knock off.  I have put a lot of rounds thru that gun, sporting clays, trap , skeet. Never a problem, 3'' magnum to .7 oz cowboy hand loads, right from day one. Mine uses easy to find Beretta choke tubes, not sure of the .410. Just make sure you get the viper, not the raptor that is a different maker.

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Indeed!

I made the mistake of buying a .410 H&R "Youth Model" for Sassparilla Kid when he was... well... a kid.

That thing was about the most brutal thing I've ever shot.  We quickly got rid of it (literally gave it away) and moved him on to a 20 gauge.  Years later, a really good friend gave the Kid a .410 Baikal double.  After having the truck springs replaced, it turned out to be an amazingly sweet shooter, and had a notable impact on the local dove population.

I love my little H&R .410 for doves. I hit better than with my 12 for whatever reason. I have a Browning BPS in 28 I need to try.

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

There has not been any .410 ammo available locally for over two years let alone .410 with Tungsten shot.

I can get it on Ammoseek. Also Sportsman’s Warehouse had some .410 the other day. The only reason I know this is two guys were complaining about the cost of it. This was before I had any interest in this venture. 

It’s funny, all this ^^^^^ started because Mossberg has not had a Turkey barrel or any individual barrels with interchangeable chokes available for the 500 for a long long while now. The ones they do have are ridiculously priced. 
Also, I have an H&R SB1 Pardner shotgun. The barrel is a modified choke. I looked for other barrels with interchangeable chokes but apparently there are none for the SB1. Also, it seems that even if I did find a barrel it would have to be fitted. 
I am really lukewarm on fooling with the H&R anyway. So no great loss. I will probably give it to my nephew anyway. He wants one. 

I have a few months before Turkey Season starts on April 17, 2023. Though I do like to be ready for any hunting or fishing seasons a month before. 

23 minutes ago, Okie Sawbones, SASS #77381 said:

I did the Grand Slam with my Daisy BB Gun. Just sayin...

stock-vector-pants-on-fire-liar-icon-1830742703.jpg

I didn’t think the stock could take a hundred mile per hour fast ball…Impressive! :D

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

Can Tungsten shot be be used in shotguns with really tight chokes?

7 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

We dispatched a lot of pests with a single 410 in full.  Rats could scurry away from a 410 improved.  An old timer at the clay club shoots skeet with 410 o/u full chokes.  The turkey guns come with extra full now.

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Can Tungsten shot be be used in shotguns with really tight chokes?

Savage advertises their Turkey 410 with extra full choke as TSS ready.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I can get it on Ammoseek. Also Sportsman’s Warehouse had some .410 the other day. The only reason I know this is two guys were complaining about the cost of it. This was before I had any interest in this venture. 

It’s funny, all this ^^^^^ started because Mossberg has not had a Turkey barrel or any individual barrels with interchangeable chokes available for the 500 for a long long while now. The ones they do have are ridiculously priced. 
Also, I have an H&R SB1 Pardner shotgun. The barrel is a modified choke. I looked for other barrels with interchangeable chokes but apparently there are none for the SB1. Also, it seems that even if I did find a barrel it would have to be fitted. 
I am really lukewarm on fooling with the H&R anyway. So no great loss. I will probably give it to my nephew anyway. He wants one. 

I have a few months before Turkey Season starts on April 17, 2023. Though I do like to be ready for any hunting or fishing seasons a month before. 

If there is enough metal you can have the barrel modified for screw in choke tubes. On a single barrel the process is not difficult.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Call me around turkey time and come up. We can perk up a pot of first class coffee (maxwell House) and sit on the porch. You can call if you want or just wait. They cut through on their own. Open invitation.

6 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

At least around here, a shotgun is mandatory.

In Mi you can use a shotgun or a bow/crossbow for turkey. No rifles. But different states can vary allot with hunting regulations, heck sometimes it’s different depending on the region of the state you’re in. 

1 hour ago, Michigan Slim said:

Call me around turkey time and come up. We can perk up a pot of first class coffee (maxwell House) and sit on the porch. You can call if you want or just wait. They cut through on their own. Open invitation.

Mighty tempting. Thank you. 

I think a .410 is to light for turkey hunting. If you pattern a load of 4 or 5 shot (I feel 6 & smaller are too light) at you 40 yards, I think you will find too many areas that have hole in the pattern bigger than a turkeys head and too few shot for good body penetration. I think 1 or 1 1/8 oz would be the lightest shot load I would shoot for dependable kills. 

I use a 12 ga with 1 1/4 of #4 shot for turkeys. 

Pat,

The heaviest recoiling gun I have shot is 3 1/2" steel shot shell in my Benelli SBE II.  2 3/4" upland game load is a mouse fart load in it.  The perceived recoil difference above 3" was more than twice that of the 3" over 2 3/4".

P.S.  My daughter bagged a hen with her Rossi 38 snubby.  Her aim sucked; because, she was only trying to scare it & away.  She served it at Thanksgiving that year.  I was surprised it had no hint of gaminess like ducks.   There was a family of turkeys rooming her neighborhood of 5+ acre properties in the Calavaras County CA foothills.  They sometimes roosted on automobiles scratching the paint as well as crapping on them.  They liked to hang out during the hot of the day on my daughter's patio which meant that the crap had to be removed from the furniture & concrete for the patio to be used.  An interesting observation, the flock size included at least 10 chicks in early June.  The numbers steadily declined starting in late August.  The one my daughter shot was the last one remaining.  There were no turkeys hanging out in the area the next year.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

In Mi you can use a shotgun or a bow/crossbow for turkey. No rifles. But different states can vary allot with hunting regulations, heck sometimes it’s different depending on the region of the state you’re in. 

I believe archery is legal here as well, but not positive 

Up in my neck of da woods the smallest Bore size you can use of Turkey is 28 Ga.

You can also use a Muzzle Loader of .40 cal. or larger or a Bow and Arrow...

Jabez Cowboy 

Archived