SASS Wire Forum

Ham Radio Group for Cowboy Action Shooters

Hiram A. Boeuf

Hi, Hiram A. Boeuf (SASS 108930) here! I recently got into Amateur (Ham) Radio (Callsign N2GDG), and created a talkgroup on the TGIF digital radio network for Cowboy Action Shooters. It is TG 1873 on TGIF. I would love to see fellow SASS Shooters who are also Hams to participate in a weekly Net. Anyone interested, please message me and I'll set one up. Feel free to use the talkgroup on DMR any time to chew the fat with fellow Hams and SASS Shooters. https://tgif.network/tgprofile.php?id=1873

I am a licensed HAM (KC7CEX) as are many others here. Unfortunately I don't have a DMR capable rig.

I bought myself an ALINCO DR735 for my b-day. Just have to get it installed in my truck.  These newer vehicles take a lot more work than the last one I had a mobile rig in.

Recently received my General, getting ready to work toward my Extra. Somehow just got elected Vice President of our county club. Nobody else was nominated, and I couldn’t really bring myself to decline.

At this time, though, I’m still wet behind the ears and my only rigs are 70cm / 2m. No DMR capability yet. That might very well change at this year’s Dayton HamVention, though.

KE8PHY

Howdy de KD8NGE, sorry but not DMR capable.

I do run PSK31 if anyone else is on the waterfall.

Nowadays, though, I generally end up with a religious experience.

I feel like John the Baptist ... you know, a voice crying in the wilderness, hi hi!

(I know, I know, two million comedians out of work and I've got to come along ... don't quit my day job ... hey wait, I'm retired!)

I would love to set up something with an Echolink connection...AllStar or whatever, but as a newbie, I don't have the skills or equipment. I set up the DMR TG because I do have a ThumbDV that allows me to go digital from my PC. If anyone has the know-how to set up (and host) a TG or "Conversation" on Echolink, that would be much more accessible to most of us with 2m/70cm capabilities and a linked repeater (or just a PC connection to the internet). I do appreciate the replies! It was worth a shot...maybe it'll pan out, maybe not. 73, y'all. N2GDG

53 minutes ago, Hiram A. Boeuf said:

I would love to set up something with an Echolink connection...AllStar or whatever, but as a newbie, I don't have the skills or equipment. I set up the DMR TG because I do have a ThumbDV that allows me to go digital from my PC. If anyone has the know-how to set up (and host) a TG or "Conversation" on Echolink, that would be much more accessible to most of us with 2m/70cm capabilities and a linked repeater (or just a PC connection to the internet). I do appreciate the replies! It was worth a shot...maybe it'll pan out, maybe not. 73, y'all. N2GDG

I would agree. Worth a shot, and hopefully something will pan out. My Kenwoods do support Echolink, although I have not worked with it at all, because I don't have a Windows computer. I am due to upgrade my Mac though, so I might get one of the programs that allows Windows to be run on it at that point. Or just spring for a cheap Windows laptop just for Ham radio.

7 hours ago, Jailhouse Jim, SASS #13104 said:

Working on my General

WB6RHR

Good luck! If I can do it, just about anyone can!

• 4 weeks later...

I have not yet ventured into DMR. I have an allstars repeater on the WIN system that is local to me which covers a big chunk of AZ, CA, TX and a few others. In addition, the Arizona Repeater Association has several linked repeaters for regional use that are right handy. I mention these as they were my first forays into more-than-local traffic and DMR is an extension to that. Besides, it's a new mode like PSK was to me as one point that I'd like to give a spin, hopefully soon.

Archived