SASS Wire Forum

WTB .50-70 Government Brass

Hermann Kuhl

Well, all the usual places are out and I have a backorder in through Starline. That could be months coming though. I'd like to get about 20 pieces of brass to work with for this 1870 Navy Type 2 rolling block I picked up. 

My youngest is getting me a mold for Christmas and I'd like to go from soup to nuts on making up the cartridges and shooting with him.

Any pards out there holding some brass?

30 minutes ago, RAWHIDE RED, SASS # 7076 L said:

I have 16 pieces of new Bell 50-90 brass if you want to cut them down to 50-70.

$ 40.00 shipped.

Rawhide

50-90 Sharps 2-1/2 is not the same as 50-70 Gov. They have the same rim diameter but the base diameter is .020" larger on 50-90 Sharps 2-1/2.

50-90 Sharps Specifications

Bullet diameter = .512 in (13.0 mm)

Neck diameter = .528 in (13.4 mm)

Shoulder diameter = .528 in (13.4 mm)

Base diameter = .585 in (14.9 mm)

Rim diameter = .663 in (16.8 mm)

Case length= 2.50 in (64 mm)

50-70 Govt Specifications

Bullet diameter = .515 in (13.1 mm)

Neck diameter = .535 in (13.6 mm)

Base diameter = .565 in (14.4 mm)

Rim diameter = .660 in (16.8 mm)

Case length = 1.75 in (44 mm)

Unfortunately all the big 50 cal BP cartridges are not interchangeable. There are significant differences in their dimensions.  I learned this the hard way.

As a corollary to what SD said, the chamber on your RB was designed and built ~45 years before SAAMI standards were even requested by Uncle Sam. Run a CeroSafe cast to get the real chamber, leade and bore/groove dimentions. YouTube for process, RB is probably easiest to cast.

Of course, if all you want to do is hit a 24"X24" steel plate at 10 paces, any old brass that safely seals the breech will work...

9 hours ago, Kid Curry, SASS# 2924 said:

I have new Starline brass. I’ll let you have it for the same price they sell it for, $1.25 each, plus shipping. Let me know how many you want. 

Tried to send you a message, but you are unable to receive messages. I am interested in purchasing some of your 50-70 brass.

La Sombra

Archived