SASS Wire Forum

Taurus .38 Special

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

I have a friend (Surprised that have one?  Actually, I am much beloved in some societies :D  STOP THAT LAUGHING!!) who just bought a nearly new Taurus .38 Special and wants to know if the gun will handle +P loads.  

It's a 2- 2 1/2" stainless five shot revolver about the same size as my Colt Detective Special.  I'm not familiar with Taurus guns any more and don't want him to damage the gun or the shooter, so I need some advice here.

Thanks.

Hey, it snowed here last night.  Not much but made the roads "slicker than teflon snot".....a phrase from my grandson way back when he was a little snot himself.

Can't offer intellectual comment on the revolver (like that fancy language? Paid good money for it!) :P:P:P -- but thank you most kindly for your grandson's "Slicker than Teflon Snot" comment :lol::lol::lol: ... that one will come in handy! 

Ok, now a question from a novice in this +P stuff. Will a revolver made for .357 Mag handle .38 +P ammunition? I feel that it should but would not risk it unless I knew it was safe. 
That said I’m not likely to use either and just stick to .38 special. So count me just curious (though more serious than Alpo).

CJ

30 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Ok, now a question from a novice in this +P stuff. Will a revolver made for .357 Mag handle .38 +P ammunition? I feel that it should but would not risk it unless I knew it was safe. 
That said I’m not likely to use either and just stick to .38 special. So count me just curious (though more serious than Alpo).

CJ

Read the link that  Cliff hanger posted.  More info there than most people want to know about standard, +P, and +P+ ammo.

3 hours ago, Cliff Hanger #3720LR said:

More info than you every probably wanted on 38sp and 38 spl +P.

https://revolverguy.com/all-about-the-38-special-p-and-38-special-p/

29 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

CJ

Yes it will. .38 Special +P ammo is still a bit of a jump behind a .357 Mag load.

3 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

Yes it will. .38 Special +P ammo is still a bit of a jump behind a .357 Mag load.

3 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

A whole lot of jump....

Thanks Pards. As I said not likely to go there as right now the only .357 mag revolvers and rifle are my SASS guns. I had thought to look for a medium DA revolver for carry.

CJ

i looked at a taurus revolver , matt stainless 38 spcl , at the gun show on saturday - had i possessed the cash at that moment i would have bought it , they didnt take cards at that table , i liked the look and feel , i would have been good running my cowboy loads in it as a backup gun or fun at the range 

I had one of those Taurus Ultralights. Handled +P great and absolutely loved the Winchester White Box 110 grain JHPs.

2 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Thanks Pards. As I said not likely to go there as right now the only .357 mag revolvers and rifle are my SASS guns. I had thought to look for a medium DA revolver for carry.

CJ

While there are many who will carry a small or medium .357, and many good ones are available, my own preference is a light .38 +P rated like the Ruger LCR or similar offerings. The .38+P with a good defense-designed round is in my view a very good choice.

10 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

It will handle +P loads. About 20 Years ago, Guns & Ammo tested a model 85 for several thousand +P rounds with no damage.

And no Forty, we're not surprised that you have a friend. We ARE surprised that he would admit it, though.

He never admitted it.  I did. :rolleyes:

12 hours ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

CJ

I have 2 J frames Smith & Wessons. A model 442 and a model 36. I carry the 442 all the time. I can fire 5 standard velocity .38 Special SD (self defense) loads and put them on a paper plate at 10 yards in just a touch over 1 second. With +P loads and speed my 5 shot accuracy goes out the window. 
I am a firm believer in Zombieland Rule #2: Double Tap!

With standard velocity SD loads I can put 2 rounds in the bread basket in a quarter of a second. With +P the first round is dead on. The second is usually a foot away if I fire at he same speed. 
I prefer accuracy over power. 
Also, out of my 442 with it’s boot grip and 15 Oz weight my right wrist hurts after 20 rounds of +P. Not worth the hurt. 
My model 36 is much more pleasant to shoot with the added few ounces but I don’t run +P in that one. Once I get another ankle holster the 36 will ride my ankle and the 442 will be in my pocket, as usual. 

Here is a link that is very helpful in determining the expansion and penetration from 2” and 4” guns with many different ammunition choices. It was a real eye opener for me. I now carry either Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HST in my Snubbies. 

Actually here is the link that compiles all their testing. More better. 
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

I have really large paws so the standard length grip was always too short for me on the Taurus 85 or S&W J frame. Altamont makes a slightly longer grip that serves me very well. You might want to give those a look.

27 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

I have really large paws so the standard length grip was always too short for me on the Taurus 85 or S&W J frame. Altamont makes a slightly longer grip that serves me very well. You might want to give those a look.

I've actually gone the other way. Even though I wear XL gloves, I get the old "Banana" style grips and cut them down to more of a "Boot" style for concealment. The first Pic is as "Before", and the second an "After". It's still enough grip for me to control.

baf9ad838e3c3cf08c8a5554a8da537d.jpg81841369_032-Copy.thumb.JPG.448462728cec92d547c5d66b02dd8667.JPG

When I first got my 442 I couldn’t hit squat with it. I tried different grips and eventually just decided to put the factory Uncle Mike’s boot grip back on it and practiced, practiced, practiced. 

I forgot to post my photos of my 442 and 36 earlier. Here they are. B4204304-7BD5-4572-BFE5-5249F619BC8E.thumb.jpeg.eb6d2dfd90eebfb324bbb5d257d9fae5.jpeg

B9DC93BF-5840-455B-AE25-904B52751D2E.thumb.jpeg.02a5f9bb331a3799cc6d22a47c44236a.jpeg

497E797F-2D6C-4070-A850-9A8055EDBD8F.thumb.jpeg.23daf8432cbe1c2a7a8afda5aeab7e9a.jpeg

Archived