SASS Wire Forum

WITHDRAWN

Colt factory letter says it was shipped in September 1897.  This old pistol has been nickel plated and engraved sometime on the past.  One piece carved wood grip.  This is a real piece of the west.  45 Colt caliber.  Have shot it a couple of rounds and it hits pretty good, with low power cowboy loads.  This pistol is in the transition period between the black powder frame and the factory proof for smokeless loads.

IMG_0497[1].JPG

IMG_0498[1].JPG

IMG_0499[1].JPG

IMG_0500[1].JPG

IMG_0501[1].JPG

43934003_IMG_06211.JPG

113495486_IMG_06231.JPG

That is correct Texas Jack Black and thank you for your service!  I have some first, second and third gen Colt pistols but I do not know a whole lot about them.  I welcome any information anyone can give me. The letter is more to confirm what it left the factory as and when.  It was not unusual for a barrel to be changed due to poor cleaning habits as the gun is still in the "black powder era" and corroded barrels from black powder corrosion were easy to change.  We also know that the finish is not original and the gun was later nickel plated and engraved.  What we do know is that it is a desirable, very old piece of Americana from the last part of the old west.  The stock is not original but is also a unique piece of western art probably done by a cowboy in the bunkhouse.  If only this piece could talk.  125 years old.  I have enjoyed having the gun for a while and thought I would let someone else enjoy it.  Fun showing it and my other Colts, Sharps and Winchesters to people.  Any input is welcome!

1 hour ago, Red River Rudy, SASS #8490 LIFE said:

That is correct Texas Jack Black and thank you for your service!  I have some first, second and third gen Colt pistols but I do not know a whole lot about them.  I welcome any information anyone can give me. The letter is more to confirm what it left the factory as and when.  It was not unusual for a barrel to be changed due to poor cleaning habits as the gun is still in the "black powder era" and corroded barrels from black powder corrosion were easy to change.  We also know that the finish is not original and the gun was later nickel plated and engraved.  What we do know is that it is a desirable, very old piece of Americana from the last part of the old west.  The stock is not original but is also a unique piece of western art probably done by a cowboy in the bunkhouse.  If only this piece could talk.  125 years old.  I have enjoyed having the gun for a while and thought I would let someone else enjoy it.  Fun showing it and my other Colts, Sharps and Winchesters to people.  Any input is welcome!

Thank you and I wish you well.

TJB

What a great piece of history. Today’s price the engraving and grips are worth what you’re asking for the gun. I’m surprised this thing is still sitting here at this price. There was some old ranch and back in the day sure proud to have owned it. Good luck with the sale on such a cool piece of history.

Get well quick!   EOT right around the corner!!  You and the family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year if I don't talk to you before then!  Also, the big Redfish are waiting.

Archived