SASS Wire Forum

Sometimes internet search engines drive me crazy

Alpo

Couple of days ago I started having a craving for lumpia. So I did search. Filipino restaurants in my town.

Several hits. 10 best Filipino restaurants in my town. 15 best Filipino restaurants in my town. Like that.

So I look. The closest one on any of the lists is 85 miles away.

85 miles is not "in my town".

I've seen this before. I had a yen for schnitzel, so did the search on German restaurants in my town, and got several hits. The closest was 120 miles away.

Why can't they say something simple like "there are no Filipino restaurants in your town", "there are no German restaurants in your town", "there are no Aston Martin dealerships in your town", "there are no whatevers in your town".

They don't seem to be able to do that. They must supply a list. If they have to go as far as Texas to get things to put in the list they will do that so they can supply a list.

Sometimes it's useful to put an end to a discussion with a bit of data.  When SWMBO say's I'd like "XYZ" for dinner, and I

can tell her that the nearest place that serves "XYZ" is 85 miles away, it put's an end to the discussion . . .  about that choice!

I quit understanding search engines years back, when suddenly when you entered an additional term to your search, you got more results, not less.

I've never been able to grasp it since. Originally, as logic and reason would dictate, adding terms narrowed the search. Now you just get endless junk; stuff that even eliminates your added terms!

85 miles is not too bad, 2 hours? Go there and eat and get a room and make a night of it. Depends on how bad you want that dish! :P

Archived