SASS Wire Forum

Don’t set your cruise control in China

sassnetguy50

He must have learned to drive from television or the movies.

Occasionally there will be a plot point. The good guy - it's always a good guy - we'llWILL be driving down the road and his sabotaged car will refuse to stop. The brakes don't work and the accelerator is pushed to the floor, and he's desperately steering the car trying to avoid running over pedestrians and other drivers while uselessly stomping the brake pedal.

And I would sit there thinking, turn the key off moron. Put it in neutral.

NotNOW possibly these things would not work. If the guy can jigger the gas pedal to go to the floor like it always does, then maybe he's also jiggered the transmission so you can't shift or disconnected the key so you can't turn it off. But no one ever tries.

So here's this poor schlub driving down the road and he can't get the cruise control to turn off. Push it out of D into N. Or simply turn the engine off.

Geez Louise, some people are just so damn stupid.

57 minutes ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I could see this happening with a self-driving EV . . . 

"Why are you trying to turn the key off, Dave?"

ANY car with modern computer systems.  (Yes, I know that some of you still drive a 1903 Curved Dash Olds or some such)

I don't use cruise control anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference. The article states that there are no Chinese made vehicles sold in the US...doesn't say anything about the millions of Chinese parts, computer chips, computer circuit boards and other electronics that ARE sold/imported into the US that are then installed in US made vehicles.

Most of us are old enough to remember when vehicle throttle was controled via linkage/cable/throttle return spring(s) from gas pedal to carburetor. I had it stick twice in my lifetime. Guess what you don't do to get it unstuck...punch it...doesn't work...makes it worse. Both times I just took it out of gear, turned the key off (then back to ACC) and hoped it didn't blow up between the time that I took it out of gear to the time I turned it off. The first time, I had very little time to react as I was coming up on stopped traffic at a busy intersection, I had plenty of time the last time it happened.

That’s a good one. I am betting it turns out he was with his mistress when he was supposed to be helping his wife with something and needed an excuse. 

My brother’s sister’s husband’s aunt’s cousin’s niece’s boyfriend’s uncle had this happen to him after going through an automated car wash. ;)

My Toyota has a clutch as well and the stock floor mat would get caught in it.  Turns out they don’t have two different mats even though the design of the foot box is different.  Luckily weather tech offer a clutch specific mat and it fits well. 

back to the original issue.  Modern cars are all computer controlled.  On/off, gear selection, throttle.  The brakes are still mechanical, but do have a computer over ride via traction control and abs.  It would be possible to have the car take over and I believe hackers have been able to do so remotely.  

4 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

30865940_meme-redflag.thumb.jpg.951a0d5761f68c842b851acfb1de512f.jpg

The anti-EV types see EVs even when they are not there.  Any mention of electronics in a car is a red cape that sets them off with ignorant anti-EV comments.  Just like The View and guns.

I take it that you didn't notice that the vehicle in the article has an internal combustion engine.

4 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I don't use cruise control anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference. The article states that there are no Chinese made vehicles sold in the US...doesn't say anything about the millions of Chinese parts, computer chips, computer circuit boards and other electronics that ARE sold/imported into the US that are then installed in US made vehicles.

Most of us are old enough to remember when vehicle throttle was controled via linkage/cable/throttle return spring(s) from gas pedal to carburetor. I had it stick twice in my lifetime. Guess what you don't do to get it unstuck...punch it...doesn't work...makes it worse. Both times I just took it out of gear, turned the key off (then back to ACC) and hoped it didn't blow up between the time that I took it out of gear to the time I turned it off. The first time, I had very little time to react as I was coming up on stopped traffic at a busy intersection, I had plenty of time the last time it happened.

You mean the 02-10 Toyota microprocessor recall?

We’ll see more issues as drive by wire, push button start, shift by wire vehicles age.

Uh, no. Cars didn't have microprocessors that weren't contained within a cranium then.

When I refer to "by wire", I'm referring to an actual human activated, mechanical connection. Simple explanation, kite on a string.

51 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

You mean the 02-10 Toyota microprocessor recall?

We’ll see more issues as drive by wire, push button start, shift by wire vehicles age.

Unfortunately this is far too true.  Already seeing this in boats.  Electronics failing in 10-20 years and no replacements available.   People having to scrap engines as there is no way to fix them.  Touch screens are the worst.  One mfg had to go back and add a manual switch for on/off as the screens were failing and no way to turn it off.  

A goodly number of Buicks are made in China.  Cheaper to make them there and import them than build them here.  Just go to a Buick Dealer and open the driver's side door.  On the country of origin tag it will proudly say Made in China.  This is the Buick Envision.  Made in Shanghai.

Buick_Envision_Plus_001.thumb.jpg.66402a0344de091e0ca72b7af339cf95.jpg

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

A goodly number of Buicks are made in China.  Cheaper to make them there and import them than build them here.  Just go to a Buick Dealer and open the driver's side door.  On the country of origin tag it will proudly say Made in China.

They’re also made in Germany, Canada, the USA and South Korea. It’s not that it’s cheaper it’s the demand is high especially in China. I believe the number one selling USA car in China is Buick. 
My Encore was made in South Korea. 

Buick only exists today because gm positioned it as a luxury brand in China.  It sells well and they did a good job with branding.  In the us, it became an old peoples car and really lost market share.   My grandfather was looking to buy a new Buick and he had the typical pamphlet from the dealer.  They were touting a bunch of safety features, almost all of them had a asterisk by them.  Turns out that was required by law.  They were selling the car by pointing out safety features all cars had.  Could tell what demographic they were targeting.  

4 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

It all started going downhill for Buick when it started using Chevy engines in the late 1970's.;)

I don’t know about that, I’m a big fan of Buick . They’re  quiet, they ride great and are dependable. I personally think they’re great looking ! I could care less about what engine is in there. It’s all Gm anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

Buick only exists today because gm positioned it as a luxury brand in China.  It sells well and they did a good job with branding.  In the us, it became an old peoples car and really lost market share.   My grandfather was looking to buy a new Buick and he had the typical pamphlet from the dealer.  They were touting a bunch of safety features, almost all of them had a asterisk by them.  Turns out that was required by law.  They were selling the car by pointing out safety features all cars had.  Could tell what demographic they were targeting.  

Lots of young buyers are Buick fans. You’re a little behind times, at one time it was considered an old persons car but not anymore. A good friend of mine works at a Buick/GMC dealer, young people are their biggest sales, especially young families. They don’t even make a car anymore, it’s all SUVs.

But do new  Buicks have holes?  :P

tunnelram_buick_port-holes.thumb.jpg.bde20701dcc1fb3120052d54acd90180.jpg

Buick has the second oldest demographic.  Of course for SASS members anyone under 80 is a youngster.:lol:

42503089_ScreenShot2022-12-11at12_27_46PM.thumb.png.4f0e8b622c69d6d6ce85232fb26407e6.png

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

But do new  Buicks have holes?  :P

tunnelram_buick_port-holes.thumb.jpg.bde20701dcc1fb3120052d54acd90180.jpg

Buick has the second oldest demographic.  Of course for SASS members anyone under 80 is a youngster.:lol:

42503089_ScreenShot2022-12-11at12_27_46PM.thumb.png.4f0e8b622c69d6d6ce85232fb26407e6.png

No holes anymore, they stopped them in 2014 I think. I miss em they made the cars go faster !:lol:

I can only speak for my dealership that I buy at and they said they’re most customers are young families. :)

5 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

@Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 Yes, relative to other brands.  Buick has spent a lot to get in that middle age and young adult category.  The dealer said the average purchaser nationwide was 62 when I looked at a new Buick around 2004.  That is a huge change.

The dealership I buy my cars from says it’s mostly young families with kids, average age around 35-40. 

There’s no cars for old guys anymore! :lol:

The wife bought a '91 Buick LeSabre brand new. Until it hit a pole with 168k miles the only repairs were front brake pads every 28k miles @ abt. $30 a shot for the first set with lifetime warranty! The car was a tractor in the snow, better than my 4x4 truck! Rode nice and quiet, luxurious velour interior with the 2.8 litre engine. Wish we could get another.;)

Had '88 (hit a pole at 76k) and '89 lesabres both with the 3800.  They did surprisingly well in the snow until the chin spoiler hung up, then it was shovel time.  The '91 Bonneville with 3800 was just drivable in the snow.  Cruise control was vacuum operated, pulling a hose by the firewall stopped it from working.

18 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

Had '88 (hit a pole at 76k) and '89 lesabres both with the 3800.  They did surprisingly well in the snow until the chin spoiler hung up, then it was shovel time.  The '91 Bonneville with 3800 was just drivable in the snow.  Cruise control was vacuum operated, pulling a hose by the firewall stopped it from working.

3800 sounds familiar!, that may have been what was in ours! I don't remember for sure, yikes!

We previously had an'87 Bonny and it was worthless in the snow, no matter how expensive or fancy the tires we ran. It was our first front wheel drive. Boy were we surprised and disappointed after all the hype of front drive.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

3800 sounds familiar!, that may have been what was in ours! I don't remember for sure, yikes!

We previously had an'87 Bonny and it was worthless in the snow, no matter how expensive or fancy the tires we ran. It was our first front wheel drive. Boy were we surprised and disappointed after all the hype of front drive.

It probably was the 3800, the Century offered a 2.8L.  I never drove one.  The '94 Century with the 2200 was gutless and worse in the snow.  Aluminum i4 made the nose 300# lighter.

18 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

The anti-EV types see EVs even when they are not there.  Any mention of electronics in a car is a red cape that sets them off with ignorant anti-EV comments.  Just like The View and guns.

I take it that you didn't notice that the vehicle in the article has an internal combustion engine.

Go back through everything I've said about EVs. You'll see that I'm not anti-EV. I'm antii-'EV-for-every-body-and-every-purpose-my-GOLLY-anyone-against-EV-is-uncouth-uneducated-Luddite-who-wants-to-kill-the-planet-ohmygosh-EVs-are-WONDERFUL'. I've said that EVs are fine where they fit, and that I'm not fine with them being crammed down everyone's throat.

I saw the article, saw it was an internal combustion engine. So what? Which type vehicle would most people consider to be more likely to be technologically advanced, to fit a joke that played on the line by HAL 9000?

It's was a joke, for cryin' out loud.

I became a Buick fan when my dad bought a 79 LeSabre. He had that car until 1994 when he passed away. It had about 70k miles on it, he didn’t drive too much. My son got it and put 100k on it. He sold it to a mechanic who wanted it because it had a 4.3 6 cyl and a carburetor of  course. That was a great car!

Archived