SASS Wire Forum

Army 20, Navy 17 in double overtime!

Trailrider #896

Never saw overtime played like this, starting at the defense's 25 yard line.  NFL OT is wacky enough.  Congratulations, Army.  Of course, now we know which service academy has the best football team.  Air Force, right?! (Winner of the Commander's Trophy!) ;)

52 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Never saw overtime played like this, starting at the defense's 25 yard line.  NFL OT is wacky enough.  Congratulations, Army.  Of course, now we know which service academy has the best football team.  Air Force, right?! (Winner of the Commander's Trophy!) ;)

Before or after their NCAA recruiting violations??????

New motto: Integrity, Honor, Falsification of records

Recorded it while I was in town. Just watched it! Might as well celebrate out here on the porch. :)

9442166A-BE63-4067-9D5A-1110DA5F7A2E.jpeg

bob - i like your style , i was rootin for navy but then my wifes side of the family is all navy , my fathers side would have been army [air corp] but they are mostly gone now , ill have a ceegar and a jigger of that brown liquid please 

Not really a football related question, but, why were officers doing pushups on the sidelines?  I wasn't paying close attention to the game and at one point I noticed several (half-dozen?) officers (gold braided epaulets) on the sidelines doing pushups.  What's up with that?  Did they get gigged for having a dirty uniform? :D  Are they doing the pushups for players on their team that incurred a penalty on the field?

Angus

23 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Never saw overtime played like this, starting at the defense's 25 yard line.  NFL OT is wacky enough.

NCAA. I'll take that over the NFL any day. Both sides get a chance, instead of like the NFL, where all too often a flip of the coin determines the winner in sudden death.

8 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Not really a football related question, but, why were officers doing pushups on the sidelines?  I wasn't paying close attention to the game and at one point I noticed several (half-dozen?) officers (gold braided epaulets) on the sidelines doing pushups.  What's up with that?  Did they get gigged for having a dirty uniform? :D  Are they doing the pushups for players on their team that incurred a penalty on the field?

Angus

Tradition.  One push-up for every point on the board. Cadets.  Officers.  Cheerleaders. I did my share in the mid-80s.

11 hours ago, Black Angus McPherson said:

Angus

They have done it for years. As mentioned, when the team scores they do a pushup per point.

And a proper push up will not get your uniform dirty

A great game!  And for the record from this Navy brat, Navy uniforms sucked. It looked like NASA was fielding a team. 

I’ve had a standing bet with a West Point grad friend of mine for the last twenty years and have not missed watching together since. (Well, we skipped 2020 due to Covid.) As said, I’m a Navy brat and dad was Annapolis, hence the “rivalry”. Our get together has grown from just the two of us into a major gathering. Anyway, the loser had to do 20 pushups. About 5 years ago that was dropped to ten cause we ain’t what we used to be. 

So last night I had to do my ten in front of the group. And they were proper “plank” push-ups too, worthy of any cadet or recruit. At 69 years, those ten are a lot harder now than the twenty of years ago! :o

8 hours ago, DocWard said:

NCAA. I'll take that over the NFL any day. Both sides get a chance, instead of like the NFL, where all too often a flip of the coin determines the winner in sudden death.

Sudden Death in regular season only.  Effective this year, NFL overtime will no longer be sudden death with postseason games; both teams will be guaranteed a possession.  

Evidently, this is the result of a bunch of fans being unhappy after Kansas City beat Buffalo in a playoff game last January.  KC won the toss, and scored with a single drive downfield.  Some folks were displeased that Buffalo never got to touch the ball during the OT period.   :mellow:

6 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Sudden Death in regular season only.  Effective this year, NFL overtime will no longer be sudden death with postseason games; both teams will be guaranteed a possession.  

Evidently, this is the result of a bunch of fans being unhappy after Kansas City beat Buffalo in a playoff game last January.  KC won the toss, and scored with a single drive downfield.  Some folks were displeased that Buffalo never got to touch the ball during the OT period.   :mellow:

Yes, but it should be that way even during the regular season, IMO.

10 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

A great game!  And for the record from this Navy brat, Navy uniforms sucked. It looked like NASA was fielding a team. 

I’ve had a standing bet with a West Point grad friend of mine for the last twenty years and have not missed watching together since. (Well, we skipped 2020 due to Covid.) As said, I’m a Navy brat and dad was Annapolis, hence the “rivalry”. Our get together has grown from just the two of us into a major gathering. Anyway, the loser had to do 20 pushups. About 5 years ago that was dropped to ten cause we ain’t what we used to be. 

So last night I had to do my ten in front of the group. And they were proper “plank” push-ups too, worthy of any cadet or recruit. At 69 years, those ten are a lot harder now than the twenty of years ago! :o

With my right shoulder issues (courtesy of Army Combatives) push-ups are quite painful. I think I could do ten. Not going to find out today.

Archived