SASS Wire Forum

The ultimate dummy

Buckshot Bob

I’ve seen some great reviews on these from the tactical guys . Kinda expensive, does anyone know who makes them.

I remember about a year ago having a pretty extensive discussion here on the best dummies for practice 

https://www.vangcomp.com/product/training-kit/

Palo Verde (SASS Member)  makes dummy rounds for sale.  Believe most of make them ourselves.  I scrounge empty shells looking for colors that I do NOT use for my reloads.   Plug the primer hole with silicone or rubber o-ring,  Then I stuff 1/2 of a cheap plastic (Walmart) shopping bag inside, crimp and go practice.     GW

16 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Palo Verde (SASS Member)  makes dummy rounds for sale.  Believe most of make them ourselves.  I scrounge empty shells looking for colors that I do NOT use for my reloads.   Plug the primer hole with silicone or rubber o-ring,  Then I stuff 1/2 of a cheap plastic (Walmart) shopping bag inside, crimp and go practice.     GW

I’ve done the same but fill the hull with rice , maybe Vancomp makes these themselves, but if not and I could buy a half dozen cheap I might try them . But for this price they want I’ll keep making my own 

I just use once fired hulls  - reload them minus powder and shot leaving the spent primer in. Never ever ever had any issues doing this way.  Did I say never  ever !

if it makes a difference I shoot a 97 !!!

Hells Comin 

I found a video by Warden Calloway (I believe) making practice 12 gauge rounds.  

Hulls, like other said, in colors I do not normally shoot. 

De Prime

Fill Primer pocket with a hot glue stick chucked in a drill, and the friction melts the glue, and pushes through the primer pocket, trim flush. 

I then put a wad into the shell, a packing peanut, over shot card(because the compressed peanut kept trying to escape) and crimp carefully.  

So far they seem to hold up well, and they are only marginally heavier than an empty hull, so shucking mimics true unloading on the clock.  

Heavy snap caps give false feedback, while we all fumble loading from time to time, it's usually the shucking of shells that really is the time killer.  

1 hour ago, Nutmeg Ryder, SASS # 74966 said:

I found a video by Warden Calloway (I believe) making practice 12 gauge rounds.  

Hulls, like other said, in colors I do not normally shoot. 

De Prime

Fill Primer pocket with a hot glue stick chucked in a drill, and the friction melts the glue, and pushes through the primer pocket, trim flush. 

I then put a wad into the shell, a packing peanut, over shot card(because the compressed peanut kept trying to escape) and crimp carefully.  

So far they seem to hold up well, and they are only marginally heavier than an empty hull, so shucking mimics true unloading on the clock.  

Heavy snap caps give false feedback, while we all fumble loading from time to time, it's usually the shucking of shells that really is the time killer.  

I’ve found the chunk of o ring in the primer pocket holds up better. And I’ve got a 87 so I’m more interested in something that feels like a loaded round for loading , as long as I work the lever forcefully enough the mt gets out of the way. But I understand your shucking concern for the majority of shooters 

Archived