SASS Wire Forum

Local news

Utah Bob #35998

They were doing a story on hunger in the state.

The reporter said “1 in 6 children in Colorado is Food Insecure” (New buzz term I guess. Whatever)

Then she said “For adults, it’s 1 in 5. Not much better”

Yeah. Not much better. You certainly can’t argue with that. 

Bureaucrat speak for “We need more control. Modify the parameters so we can justify more taxes for us to build our empire.”

The spec for “starving children” in many locals is if a child misses a meal once in 30 days they could be in need of assistance. 

And then the pronoun thingy.

The other night there was a shooting in Denver. They kept referring to the suspect as They, and said “they were still at large”. They? What? How many of them? There was more than one? I thought you said there was one individual.

Then I came to earth and realized what was going on.

It’s a strange world we live in. :blink:

The pronoun.

I was reading an article the other day. A Starbucks barista was explaining why you needed to not do this. Doing this could get you fired.

It showed a picture of the barista. It appeared to be a young man with longish hair and a beard. It gave the name of the barista. It was a masculine name (I believe it was Dennis, but don't hold me to it). And it said that the barista used the pronouns they/them.

At one point the article quoted the barista. "I did such and such".

And I wondered why, if the barista was a they instead of a he, the barista said I instead of we.

So is "it". If Dennis does not wish to be "he", that would be its decision. But it has chosen to be "they". It has chosen to be "them". Both "they" and "them" are plural. "I", on the other hand, is singular. If the barista does not wish to be a "he" but instead wishes to be a "they", then the barista should not be an "I" but should be a "we".

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Those same people also preferred the 1/4 lb burger over the 1/3 pounder.

You beat me to it!

47 minutes ago, Alpo said:

So is "it". If Dennis does not wish to be "he", that would be its decision. But it has chosen to be "they". It has chosen to be "them". Both "they" and "them" are plural. "I", on the other hand, is singular. If the barista does not wish to be a "he" but instead wishes to be a "they", then the barista should not be an "I" but should be a "we".

Referring to oneself as "We" just sounds pretentious! :lol: Wait, I'm sorry... Referring to themselves...? No, maybe I was right the first time... I just know on the outside chance I go into Starbucks and I haven't had coffee yet, and Dennis gives me a hard time for thanking him, I might come unhinged. The baristas need to realize that some uncaffeinated folk are a touchy, dangerous lot.

12 minutes ago, Seamus McGillicuddy said:

...and people with tapeworms. 

Seamus

Or inhabited by multiple demons...

4 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

At they VA med center there is a small poster that says “please inform the receptionist as to your preferred name and pronouns”

I prefer "Omnipotent and Almighty One"

On 12/9/2022 at 7:17 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

They were doing a story on hunger in the state.

The reporter said “1 in 6 children in Colorado is Food Insecure” (New buzz term I guess. Whatever)

Then she said “For adults, it’s 1 in 5. Not much better”

Yeah. Not much better. You certainly can’t argue with that. 

Reporters will never get the difference between 16.6% and 20% unless they take their shoes off. 

New math.....Hooray!

they ? he ? im so confused is there more than one person involved or was it not a person ? 

how can fewer kids be in peril of nutrition than adults ? arent the kids dependent on the adults ? in the end i wonder if they tried to find food or just sat back waiting for someone else to bring it to them ? 

7 hours ago, watab kid said:

they ? he ? im so confused is there more than one person involved or was it not a person ? 

how can fewer kids be in peril of nutrition than adults ? arent the kids dependent on the adults ? in the end i wonder if they tried to find food or just sat back waiting for someone else to bring it to them ? 

Some adults don't have kids?

kR

17 hours ago, watab kid said:

I suspect because of the predominantly adult homeless population.

Archived