SASS Wire Forum

WTB 480 Ruger Ammo

Buffalo Bore has it in stock but you best be sitting down if you decide to order any. It starts at $85.00 for 20 rounds plus shipping and goes up from there. At those prices, even if you haven’t yet gotten into reloading, it is time to do so. I bought a bunch of .480 ammo when I first got my gun. There were several stores that had it on close out but I have not seen new ammo (except Buffalo Bore) in over two years.

Recently I saw Ruger is selling their  .480 Alaskans so I looked for ammo. None to be found anywhere. Hopefully we will see some ammo coming out pretty soon for this absolutely beautifully obscene monster of a handgun.

13 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

I've got ten boxes of Hornady factory ammo - 200 rounds, and maybe half a dozen more rounds in a partial box. Can an individual even ship ammo?

480Ammo.jpg

Short answer, yes. It might be a PITA based on your location...unless you're close to a UPS Customer Service Center. You can't just go to a UPS Store or the like. I've shipped ammo via UPS easily and with good results, but the UPS location was within 7 miles from my location.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/support/shipping-support/shipping-special-care-regulated-items/hazardous-materials-guide/how-to-ship-ammunition.page

1 minute ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My nearest UPS DC/Customer Service Center is ~16+ miles away, in the second town over, and only open from 5:00pm to 6:00pm, Monday to Friday. 

Be an hour+  travel/deal with "customer service".

Last time I shipped, I thought that UPS would have the black/white diamond sticker required...they didn't. Handed me a black carpenter crayon and told me to draw it on the box. I grabbed the crayon and went to work on a masterpiece. I guess I'll have to die to get recognition for the artwork...probably be worth millions then.

The first 50 rounds of .480 ammo I ever bought, in 2001, were actually head stamped .475 Ruger. I've never seen any others. I bought the revolver in the summer of 2001, but Ruger's Website says it wasn't shipped from the factory until 2002, go figure.

475Ruger.thumb.JPG.555bf31099f589ddef0f8c981ff44869.JPG

On 12/11/2022 at 7:43 PM, Wallaby Damned said:

I’ve got a full box (20 rounds) of Buffalo Bore 410gr WFN (wide flat nose) 1200fps I bought for a revolver I no longer have. Paid $70 for them at the time. You can have them for $45 shipped in the lower 48. 

image.jpg

If the OP doesn't want these I'll take you up on that offer.

4 minutes ago, Wallaby Damned said:

OP has said he’d take them but appreciate the offer. I’d have kept mine but really want a 475 converted Blackhawk someday for Montana/ Alaska carry. 

.475 Linebaugh or .475 JRH Special ?

14 minutes ago, Wallaby Damned said:

Either or really

I had this Blackhawk built into a .475 JRH Special by Jack Huntington at JRH Advanced Gunsmithing in Carson City, Nevada

He does great work

C777B131-02A0-467C-A80B-D62D1D1CDC46.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Wallaby Damned said:

She’s a beauty. What’s that run you!

I can’t say really. It’s been a couple years and I really didn’t even get a solid quote. I supplied the donor gun and we talked about what I wanted done then I sat back and waited. When he said it was done I asked how much cash to bring and went to pick it up. I never asked for a receipt and my memory isn’t that good. It’s not cheap but he is definitely less than the other big name gunsmiths. Jack is easy to talk to so if you have a donor gun and get close to wanting it done, give him a call on the phone. (Jack doesn’t do email or such)

1 hour ago, Wallaby Damned said:

@Three Foot Johnsonif you hate it, let me know. :P

I'm not real attached to it, I honestly can't remember the last time I shot it... probably fifteen years anyway. 

Wyoduster,

I have a 500 JRH mag like that.

Soooooo much.wrong with that caliber in a handgun and I love it!

• 2 months later...

Archived