SASS Wire Forum

20 Gauge load recommendations

Sasparilla Groz

I'm fixin on reloading some 20 gauge for a Cowboy friend of mine.  Looking for recommendations.

I have Clays, 700-X and WSF powders available.

Loading on a MEC 600 Jr. so I want to get the right bushing.

7/8oz lead shot.

Winchester AA  HS hulls

What do you all think?

EDIT:  my bad for not reading.   I know clays isn’t recommended for 20ga, too fast a burn rate.  I went to Unique for 20’s.    

Hodgdon does not show 700-x as a choice either.  700-x is 12 and 16ga specific.  
HOWEVER, WSF does have a load.  

You can go lower since we don’t need 1200 fps on the load.

A395EE5F-5997-4DA3-A5CB-DD61A09654CA.png

DA301987-1129-4921-AAE2-DDABEA5FF091.jpeg

7 hours ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

The OP requested info for 7/8 oz loads.  Hodgdon lists loads for WSF and 7/8 oz shot.

Sorry, updated.  

I load 20ga with WSF powder, which I really like, on a Mec 600 jr. I use a #16 powder bushing (16.6 gr), with 7/8 oz of shot inside a CB1078 Claybuster wad, and CCI 209 primers. It's a nice load that will handle any knock downs with mild recoil.

Back in the day, for a skeet load I used Green Dot for a while, but 20 ga prefers powder a bit slower burning. I ended up using 473 and 4756.

Unique and the 20 gauge belong together. It is also one of those powders that will tolerate a bit less powder than the recipe calls for. That is where I'd go. 

Light loads are usually 3/4 oz. 

Are you after a light load or are you wanting a standard 1200 fps load. 

Be prepared to make some wad swaps, or add the odd card filler to get decent crimps. I used a LEE Loader, Mec 600 Jr and then a Mec Sizemaster. For S&G I also have a LEE Loader in 20 ga. 

But to the point, Lyman #5 has 4 loads with WSF and they are all in the 1135 to 1190 fps depending on the wad. and amount of powder. The publication is current, and the material copyrighted. But I'd use a PC 20 Yellow wad, 15 grains of WSF and a Win 209 primer in your hull if I were you. See Down Range Manufacturing for the wads. 

BB

your gonna download these right ? for cowboy ? you can find cowboy specific loads i think , clays and 700x are hotter loads but i cant think they wont work in a cowboy load ....but i dont load 20ga so ignore me if im wrong here 

Archived