SASS Wire Forum

How many of you guys in the US ever use 9mm?

Buckshot Bear

40 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

Yep, I don't know what 11.25 figures at but it is a 45 acp made on Colt equipment that was sent to Argentina and is stamped 11.25 on the left side of the slide model 1927. :)

kR

22 minutes ago, Alpo said:

This is a Norwegian 1911 Colt.

norwegian-1914-2-jpg.33776

If you blow the picture up you can easily see the caliber marking on the side of the slide. 11.25 mm.

So neither company knows how to use the metric system…and they are in countries that use the metric system. Just because it’s stamped doesn’t make it do. 11.25mm is .4429 inches.It’s not like the .45 ACP is like the .429” that folks call 44 Special or Magnum. :lol:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Buckshot Bob said:

So wentworth is another unit of measurement ? Or are you just referring to metric 

An old unit of measurement, British.

Ooops, I spelled in wrong. It's Whitworth.

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) is an imperial-unit-based screw thread standard, devised and specified by Joseph Whitworth in 1841 and later adopted as a British Standard. It was the world's first national screw thread standard, and is the basis for many other standards, such as BSF, BSP, BSCon, and BSCopper.

A very interesting article discussing the .45 ACP, it’s European designations and the 9mm is discussed as well. 
https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/lodge/45-auto-vs-45-acp/

From the article:

Other Names for 45 ACP

So now we have a cartridge with two different names. To make matters more complicated, the .45 ACP/.45 Auto is also known in Europe by its metric name 11.43×23 mm, in France specifically as the 11 mm 43, and in Argentina as the 11.25 mm. It’s also simply called the 45 by shooters who refer to it a lot.

So, not only is 45 ACP vs. 45 Auto the same exact cartridge, it’s also the same as 11.43x23mm or 11mm 43, or 11.25mm.

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

An old unit of measurement, British.

Ooops, I spelled in wrong. It's Whitworth.

British Standard Whitworth (BSW) is an imperial-unit-based screw thread standard, devised and specified by Joseph Whitworth in 1841 and later adopted as a British Standard. It was the world's first national screw thread standard, and is the basis for many other standards, such as BSF, BSP, BSCon, and BSCopper.

Knew an old farmer that measured everything in rods. I always knew it was longer, I just looked it up 1 rod = 5.5 yards 

https://boatinggeeks.com/how-long-is-a-rod/

2 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

Knew an old farmer that measured everything in rods. I always knew it was longer, I just looked it up 1 rod = 5.5 yards 

https://boatinggeeks.com/how-long-is-a-rod/

I know all about “rods”. My old man took the scripture “Spare the rod, spoil the child” to new levels when I was a kid. 

Otto’s gettin’ nothin’ for Christmas!

And the Russians had their own system prior to metric. The Mosin was known as the 3 Line Rifle.

Twelve pistols/revolvers, and two rifles. The revolvers are 3 screw convertible Blackhawks that occasionally get used in Cowboy matches with the 9mm cylinders. :)

i have over a dozen 9mms , my son has more than that and my daughter has a couple , my wife has three as well as  the czech 9mm MAK , we have a decent supply of ammo and shoot most of them regularly ......i do have a couple that are neglected - need to remedy that 

On 12/7/2022 at 5:16 PM, Buckshot Bear said:

Guys.......and you all reckon you don't use the metric system :D:D:D

My first two kidney stones were 7mm and 8mm respectively, left and right renal calyces.
In this case I did use the metric system.
With a great deal of profanity, I might add!

Hmmm, wonder why with all these center fire handgun calibers, the Italian Mafia and the Israeli Massad chose .22short for assassinations?  Maybe, just maybe, bullet placement is more important than caliber.

If I shoot at you with a 50BMG and miss, the noise and wind as it's going by you might scare you, but, if I put a .22LR in the right spot it will kill you.  Whatever firearm and caliber you can put two shots in the kill zone every time on a combat target is what a person should carry.  

2 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Hmmm, wonder why with all these center fire handgun calibers, the Italian Mafia and the Israeli Massad chose .22short for assassinations?  Maybe, just maybe, bullet placement is more important than caliber.

If I shoot at you with a 50BMG and miss, the noise and wind as it's going by you might scare you, but, if I put a .22LR in the right spot it will kill you.  Whatever firearm and caliber you can put two shots in the kill zone every time on a combat target is what a person should carry.  

IMHO Assassination is not combat.  No one wants to be shot. and .22 accounts for a lot of fatalities, but If I need to protect myself or family, even as a pretty fair shot, I prefer a bit more stopping power.

Yep, 12GA. #4 buckshot.  27 #4 buckshot pellets taking out someone's vital organs.  Mossberg 590 Shockwave or Remington TAC 14.  14in. barrel and 26" overall length.

Oh, sorry Californians and some folks from other states where they are not legal.

4 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I wonder if the difference between 11.43 and 11.25 is the bore and grove diameter.

Could be but the tightest measurement I could find for .45 ACP barrels online had the land dimensions of .445” which is 11.30mm

15 hours ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

Because they are lightweight, concealable, quiet, and good at close range. So is a knife.

They also use bombs. I suspect, but cannot confirm, they are metric. At least for the Mossad and Sicilian mafia.  :lol:

On 12/8/2022 at 6:17 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Same here,used by men and ladies when addressing more than one. Never meant to be offensive as far as know. Like " have a good night guys". Sheesh

"Guys" is a lot more compact than saying "men, women, boys, girls and those of you identify as some other gender, non-gender, or as some altogether different identity or description.

G'night, y'all.

in re-reading the thread i had to come back to the rod - its roughly 16' the length of a standard canoe , all the portages in minnesota are measured thus , so you got a rough idea how far you gotta carry that thing before you can go back to paddling along across the open water 

my winter & summer carry guns are 9mm Glock & Sig Sauer

a bunch of my uzis are 9mm (some are 45acp)

i use metric wrenches working on my motorcycles and some whitworth for the jag.

Instead of "guys" just say "folks". Gender neutral.

I have a few nines, the oldest being my Radom, the newest being a Sig 2022. Have a few 45acp chambered autos also. Mostly just shoot 44-40 these days, plus my new experimental 44 Cowboy short for my 44-40 revolvers.

Archived