SASS Wire Forum

How many of you guys in the US ever use 9mm?

Buckshot Bear

I have never fired an actual 9mm firearm.  It just never happened.

The standard magazines for my .45acp EDC sidearms carry 13 and 14 rounds respectively.

I realize that .357 cal  firearms are very close to 9mm and I HAVE shot many of those.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I have never fired an actual 9mm firearm.  It just never happened.

The standard magazines for my .45acp EDC sidearms carry 13 and 14 rounds respectively.

I realize that .357 cal  firearms are very close to 9mm and I HAVE shot many of those.

Close in diameter, an entirely different level of effectiveness.  357 is a whole different animal than the best 9mm, or even my much loved Super.

12 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

About twice a year, I refresh my carry, currently mostly .45 ACP.

With three new boxes, I shoot off several rounds from each box. If they work, I set aside enough for my three carry mags, plus six rounds, two from each box. Then shoot off the rest of the three boxes. If no problems, I have carry ammo for the next six months.

Is six months a good amount of time to refresh? I then shoot off the three carry mags. They have always gone bang. So I'm good with six months.

Extreme clean and inspection of the firearm and all mags, then run the six reserved rounds, two in each mag.

Field strip and clean, load the three mags. Carry for the next six months with a field strip and clean every 2 to 3 weeks.

Same for 9mm. Same for any carry.

SD ammo is expensive, and once in a while I will compete in something like Steel Challenge with one of my carry firearms. But knowing my carry runs without hiccups on demand is far less expensive than the value of doing so.

Ammo in "cold storage" is good indefinitely, the stuff on my belt is not properly stored and must have some reduced life span. Given its purpose, it must be expended regularly. Cost be damned!

Once a year I’ll dump my carry ammo. So far no issues. I usually buy the LE HST in the 50 round boxes so it’s not real expensive. Usually just leave the gun loaded all the time so I don’t have to worry about bullet set back loading the pistol every day. Have some stashed guns around the house I do the same with. 

I, too, don't own a 9mm pistol and have never shot one.

No big reason, except that I came into handgun ownership and interest only in my early/mid-50s, via revolvers. So I got very intersted in revolvers and so it has stayed. I do own a Ruger MkIII .22, and have thought about a 1911 now and then.

When I see the enormous shelf space given to 9mm ammo, I always wish they could find room in the factory for .357 and .45 Colt.....   .44 spl and mag would be nice sometime, too.

I & the misses don't own a large number of handguns; so, we only have 3 chambered in 9mm Luger.  A CZ85, Glock 19 & Cobra derringer.  I own one 9mm Kurz (380ACP).  I have an AR-15 upper in 350 Legend which has same bullet dia as 9x19.

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

You guys are metricated ...... you just don't know it ;)

I think you’re right. A dollar now is worth about 62 cents…just like a Kilometer is .62 miles. :lol:

1 hour ago, Buckshot Bear said:

I was taught the metric system in grade school, they kept telling us that we need to learn it because we were going to drop the imperial/English system. 
I honestly think it would have been easier if we had. Wouldn’t be a need to have imperial and metric tools, and no need to figure out if it’s one or the other before working on something. Allot of things in the US can be a mix of both. 

One of the things I like about the 9mm is it’s been around a long time, longer that most other current handgun rounds. .38 Special is older than the 9mm. It’s another one of my favorite rounds. 

4 hours ago, Phantom Falcon, SASS # 46139 said:

I like 9mm but strictly as a recreational round. It ain't worth a damn as a combat cartridge; it has no knockdown power. It and that .22 Magnum M-16 just pissed the gomers off; it wouldn't stop them or kill them unless you shot them 50 times. Maybe they'd be OK with hollow points, but with ball ammo they are useless. And I'm not willing to trust my life to a HP 9mm or AR 5.56 mm with HPs. I'll stick to .30 cal rifles and .357, .40 Smith, 10mm or .45 ACP  handguns, thank you!

Opinions are like a--h---s, everyone has one. (some people ARE one!)

In my arsenal I don't have a 5.56 / .233.  Never did, never will, but I have seen what they can do and I don't ever want to be shot with one.  A hit from an SKS didn't kill me, but I don't want be shot with one of those again.  I'd druther not be shot at all, if I had my druthers.

Under the right circumstances almost any round will kill a man, some quite efficiently, others not so much.

I have never felt "under-gunned" with a .45, .44. .38, 9mm or some other calibers I've come across, but my .38 Special six shot DA is my daily carry piece, and my really "hard time" gun is a .45acp.  I'm confident I can make a kill shot twice in two seconds with either one at twenty yards and see very little chance of ever needing more that that.

You go to your church, I'll go to mine.

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Opinions are like a--h---s, everyone has one. (some people ARE one!)

In my arsenal I don't have a 5.56 / .233.  Never did, never will, but I have seen what they can do and I don't ever want to be shot with one.  A hit from an SKS didn't kill me, but I don't want be shot with one of those again.  I'd druther not be shot at all, if I had my druthers.

Under the right circumstances almost any round will kill a man, some quite efficiently, others not so much.

I have never felt "under-gunned" with a .45, .44. .38, 9mm or some other calibers I've come across, but my .38 Special six shot DA is my daily carry piece, and my really "hard time" gun is a .45acp.  I'm confident I can make a kill shot twice in two seconds with either one at twenty yards and see very little chance of ever needing more that that.

You go to your church, I'll go to mine.

I honestly buy into shot placement being the biggest thing. I believe the ballistic testing and research that’s been done, if something will penetrate enough to get to the vitals it can kill. I’ve killed plenty of deer with a bow and they are all about blood loss. It’s pretty much the same with handguns. They just don’t have the hydrostatic shock that a rifle does. I’ve read too many cases of people soaking up many handgun rounds and not stopping their bad behavior until they bled out. I’ve had many veterans tell me it takes multiple rounds to anchor someone with a 223. The only thing that seems to reliably get the one shot stop everyone always talks about is a 308 or larger rifle or a 12ga with slugs or buckshot. But also with the proper shot placement. 
These days with the body cams that police and military wear there’s plenty of video footage of things that work and things that don’t. 
I like the 45acp but I would think with the usage around the world of 9mm and 30 tokarev, each of those calibers are probably responsible for the death of more people than the 45. 

11 hours ago, Buckshot Bear said:

When it's acceptable to say "I milometered closer and closer", instead of "I inched closer and closer", ONLY then will I be metricated.

9mm is the top selling pistol ammo in the US, so…….

;)

9 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's the same here.

And it always affected a server’s tip when they asked my wife and I, “What can I get you guys?”

11 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Many Americans prefer the 11.48mm round over the 9mm, however...most Americans prefer to not get shot with anything, be it metric or Imperial.

I have a 1927 Colt chambered in 11.25 mm (45 acp) but have never heard of a 11.48. What caliber would that be?

kR

10 hours ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I was taught the metric system in grade school, they kept telling us that we need to learn it because we were going to drop the imperial/English system. 
I honestly think it would have been easier if we had. Wouldn’t be a need to have imperial and metric tools, and no need to figure out if it’s one or the other before working on something. Allot of things in the US can be a mix of both. 

And then there's Wentworth:P

10 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's the same here.

Same here,used by men and ladies when addressing more than one. Never meant to be offensive as far as know. Like " have a good night guys". Sheesh

17 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I have a 1927 Colt chambered in 11.25 mm (45 acp) but have never heard of a 11.48. What caliber would that be?

kR

11.25 is .44”

17 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

The school, the TV series or the town ? 

My old British motorcycle a BSA was wentworth, I still have some of the sockets somewhere!

38 minutes ago, Kid Rich said:

I'm thinkin they figured it at .451 as that is what is stamped on the slide.

kR

The .45 ACP FMJ/HP/SJ (most jacketed) bullets are .451. The lead bullets, I've been using are .452. What's .001 among friends?:D

16 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

My old British motorcycle a BSA was wentworth, I still have some of the sockets somewhere!

So wentworth is another unit of measurement ? Or are you just referring to metric 

22 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

The .45 ACP FMJ/HP/SJ (most jacketed) bullets are .451. The lead bullets, I've been using are .452. What's .001 among friends?:D

Yep, I don't know what 11.25 figures at but it is a 45 acp made on Colt equipment that was sent to Argentina and is stamped 11.25 on the left side of the slide model 1927. :)

kR

Archived