SASS Wire Forum

Making Change

Dusty Devil Dale

Today, my wife bought groceries.  The young clerk told her it was $75, so my wife handed her a $ 100 bill.  She input the $100 into the computer-register and the machine made change.  But the change was not the expected even  $25.  The machine dumped coin change into the little COVID cup and the cashier began counting paper money change

When the total finally appeared on the screen, it explained the discrepancy.  The toral was actually $75.57.

My wife didn't want the coin or small bills, so she handed the cashier the other $.57.  

The young clerk froze in place, pulled out her phone, and tried using the calculator to figure out how to  handle the $.57.   

My wife explained:  "I gave you $100.57.  It costs $75.57, so just give me $25 change."  The clerk didn't understand or believe her.  She phoned the floor manager -- a young Millennial-age man.  He played with the computer-register for a moment, canceling the transaction.  Then he again scanned in all of the groceries, with the same $75.57 total.  He took my wife's $100.57 payment and handed her $25.  All was well------ until he reminded her to get her change out of the cup.  My wife told him that if she took it, the register would come up short.  He said it would not, because "the computer automatically computes the correct change".  My wife left the change in the cup and left the store. 

It appears that several generations have not learned very basic arithmetic or critical thinking skills.  It's kind of scary seeing what our schools have de-prioritized.  I can't wait to see them handle crypto-currency. 

I got change back from a Wendy's drive through. It was .53 cents change. The nice young girl gave me 5 dimes and 3 pennies. I said, "Are you out of quarters"? She just gave me a blank stare and then said "No, we have quarters". I said "Thanks have a great day"! 

We were tought making change in grade school.  Backwards one room school.  Mom worked in Western Auto for years. I helped out putting bicycles and such together.  Watched them make change a lot. We still do a lot of shopping with cash. I use to be shocked when a sales clerk just hands back a hand full of change - bills and coins.  Got use to it. Went through checkout at Wally-World and a young sales clerk rang me out. She looked stumped when I pulled out cash. 

In Wally-World,   Mary needed a $10 bill.   Paid with card. Sales clerk asked if she wanted cash back. Mary said $10. She got two $5s. No she wanted a $10 bill.  They didn't use $10 bills in cash register.  She could go to service desk and they could exchange the two $5s.

And to think these are our future politicians and will be running the country when I'm retired

Attractive personable well groomed young woman at the register in a medium sized retail store.  When I got to the register to pay, the power failed.  She could open the register, but couldn't make change.  I needed the stuff so I wrote a check.  Apparently they no longer teach anything of real life value in schools.  I find the same in my local small supermarket.  Strangely enough, the local HS has a pretty good rep and frequently has students place well at state wide academic events.

Taught all three of my kids when they were young how to make change and count it back to a person. Had a few bills and a pile of assorted change on the table. I'd tell them what the item "cost" and what I paid them. They had to count my change back to me. My oldest son is now a math teacher and can figure it out in his head before you can get your calculator out. 

They're not even told how to tell time anymore! Our school system is spending tens of thousands to change them all to digital.:angry:. My education taxes are double my property tax and we have never had kids. Rental folks with all the kids don't have to pay ed taxes. But the landlord that owns the dump does, but it's about 10% of what I pay for a modest residence. Mine is up over 6k just for the school that's more concerned with teaching kids to change gender than to count change or tell time. Oh and don't forget, we don't teach them to write anymore either.:angry::FlagAm:

Now I'm Grumpy :D.

11 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

If you only pay idiot wages, you only get idiot employees.  

If all you can find to work for you are idiots, why should you pay competent wages??

31 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Don't you think that he factors the taxes into what he charges?

He does, but taking my situation; my property is appraised at 450k, the trailer park is appraised at 250k and 30 kids come out of there. The few apartment houses that have 4 family's with 3 to 4 kids each are appraised at roughly 150k each. So the landlords taxes are a third to half mine and all the kids come from them. Then the government subsidizes all their expenses because they are "poor". Just like the student loan BS. You made the decision, you pay for it. The more kids, the more welfare and subsidies. But they can afford the 30 pack every night on the way home. Grumpier now. :D 

I was mistaken above, my ed taxes are over 9k and property tax to the town is under 4k.

Edit: and during COVID they didn't even have to pay rent, I still had to my mortgage! 

Rant off.:P

I was at Harbor Freight in CA. The lady had just rung me up at $52 and change. The power went out. The register stayed active as it was on a UPS but the card reader couldn’t take cards. I gave the lady $60 - three $20 bills. This is a grown woman in her 30’s, not some high school girl. She looked at me like I had 3 heads. 
“What an I supposed to do with this?”

”Your register works. Cash me out.”

”The card readers don’t work!”

”So what? It’s cash. Ring me up and I will be on my way.”

”But the card readers don’t work…”

”Lady, keep the sixty. I’m leaving.”

”I’ll call the police.”

”I gave you $60, right?”

”Right.”

”You owe me seven dollars and some change, right?”

”Uh…”

”Bye. Keep the change.”

”Hey Bill! That guy’s stealing that stuff!”

”Bill, my stuff rang up to $52. I gave her $60. She’s not smart enough to figure it out. That’s my truck right there. Go ahead and snap a photo of the plate ‘cause I am leaving if you think I am stealing too.”

”Have a nice day, Sir”

”You too. Put her somewhere besides a cash register.”

Look of bewilderment.

I left. 

I have a feeling she was there because she was pretty. 

Pretty sure the $&@#%* Otto Communist is a moron too.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I was at Harbor Freight in CA. The lady had just rung me up at $52 and change. The power went out. The register stayed active as it was on a UPS but the card reader couldn’t take cards. I gave the lady $60 - three $20 bills. This is a grown woman in her 30’s, not some high school girl. She looked at me like I had 3 heads. 
“What an I supposed to do with this?”

”Your register works. Cash me out.”

”The card readers don’t work!”

”So what? It’s cash. Ring me up and I will be on my way.”

”But the card readers don’t work…”

”Lady, keep the sixty. I’m leaving.”

”I’ll call the police.”

”I gave you $60, right?”

”Right.”

”You owe me seven dollars and some change, right?”

”Uh…”

”Bye. Keep the change.”

”Hey Bill! That guy’s stealing that stuff!”

”Bill, my stuff rang up to $52. I gave her $60. She’s not smart enough to figure it out. That’s my truck right there. Go ahead and snap a photo of the plate ‘cause I am leaving if you think I am stealing too.”

”Have a nice day, Sir”

”You too. Put her somewhere besides a cash register.”

Look of bewilderment.

I left. 

I have a feeling she was there because she was pretty. 

Pretty sure the $&@#%* Otto Communist is a moron too.

You just can't make that up, unbelievable level of stupidity. Even at 30 something, she's still the product of 21st century education. I'm still shaking my head.

We can say what we will about the schools, and I fought them the whole time my kids were in their clutches.  Parents are culpable as well.  My grown kids are both in math heavy professions.  I was no superstar but helped and pushed on their studies.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Give them a Sacagawea or a Susan B Anthony sometime...stand back and watch their head explode.

LOL:D:D, hand em a couple $2 bills as well:lol:

Just remember to compliment those that can count change. If I can I also tell manager about the excellent job they are doing.  I have run into several that know how to do it properly.

Doing it properly also includes not putting your bills into the register until after you have accepted your change.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Give them a Sacagawea or a Susan B Anthony sometime...stand back and watch their head explode.

My wife used some old twenties to pay for some things we were buying at a store in CA. The bills were some we stashed in a small safe back in 2005 or 2006. The young cashier looked at these bills and loudly announced to a manager that she had just been given counterfeit money. My wife told her they were older bills. The manager came over and confirmed our money was good. 
I mentioned we got them from the bank around 2005. The cashier said “I was in kindergarten then.” I told her she did a good job of recognizing that the bills didn’t look right, but one shouldn’t announce something is wrong in front of a possible criminal. She looked a little embarrassed and agreed. 

In the early '60's my team went to Madison, Wisconsin for a tournament and got there a day early.  That county had a 18 year old drinking age, which Wisconsin border counties did not.  We went to the Var Bar in our letter jackets.  Another interesting story, but back on track.  Beer was a buck and a quarter a pitcher.  For some reason I was into "real money" and laid down a couple of silver dollars (you could ask for them at the bank in those days).  The dim bulb server wouldn't believe they were lawful currency.  I managed not to give her the two dollar bill I keep in the back of my wallet to this day and give her a couple of singles with "keep the change."

3 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

When I was a young Marine stationed at Camp Lejune, I spent a "few" nights in the various bars that featured topless dancers. One of the tricks some of them tried to pull was giving SBA Dollars as change for a beer. They would show you a hand full of coins, and ask if they could keep the change. I never fell for it, but figured that in a dark bar, with several beers in them, somebody must have.

Archived