SASS Wire Forum

Derringers

Highwall

What's an acceptable derringer for SASS besides the old Remington .41 short?

Richard Boone is listening! LOL

I have 3.    two american  one in .38 special    one in .45 colt    the third is an originsl Remington .41 with 5 boxes of ammo.   like all three

The American is a 38 special engraved by Kelly Lassiter.  The grips are real ivory.   I prefer the looks and lines of the American but the Bond is a better built gun.  The Bond is 45 Colt but I shoot the 45 Cowboy Special.  Bond is a lot heavier gun but not larger than the American, just has more meat.

Bond gives you flexibility with interchangeable calibers and barrel lengths so it can be more than just a cowboy side match gun. 

You can get oversized grips for them at Bond Arms Bond Arms | Plain Rosewood Extended Grips or check etsy and ebay for them if Bond is running low.  Gives you a place for an additional finger allowing for more control.

I've not seen a short barrel Bond before.  That one does look smaller than an ADC.  I don't know what model the Bond I handled was but it was .357 Magnum, same as my ADC.  It just felt heavier and and more bulky.  Your ADC looks great!

Picked this one up long ago.

Safety had been deactivated.
Recovered and sold at Sheriff's auction after the original owner threw it into a field.

He had reloaded it, then closed it with the hammer down and his hand in front of the muzzle. :ph34r:

RG17 .38spl (wire).jpg

17 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

He had reloaded it, then closed it with the hammer down and his hand in front of the muzzle.

Not a wise thing to do!

PaleWolf, how did you disable the safety?   

How do you find it to be as a shooter?   My experience has been easy to use, surprisingly accurate, and it functions well with Short Colts when I want to use them.   With "standard" factory .38 Special ammo, it is a little "flippy," but not excessively so.  I would not use any "high performance" ammo in it.   I don't mean +P type stuff, just the things at the higher end of the acceptable range for .38 Special.  I think such rounds would be "safe" but unpleasant to shoot.

Once went to a Gunshot Call.  Young gent tested his double derringer in his basement. Cleaned it and reloaded it and rested it on this thigh while he picked stuff off the floor.  Slipped off and hit the concrete hammer first.  Of course it went off, and he was the proud possessor if an in and out through calf and thigh muscle bullet wound.  Fortunately only a.22 and missed everything important.  Can't recall the brand, it was long pre Bond and in the classic configuration.  Beware with the old ones!

4 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Not a wise thing to do!

He lost a finger. Hospital notified local PD when he showed up at the ER.

PaleWolf, how did you disable the safety? 
The tab that blocked the hammer had been filed off (it was that way when I bought it).
The hammer in the "safety notch" will also drop when the trigger is pulled. It doesn't at half-cock.

How do you find it to be as a shooter?   My experience has been easy to use, surprisingly accurate, and it functions well with Short Colts when I want to use them.   With "standard" factory .38 Special ammo, it is a little "flippy," but not excessively so.  I would not use any "high performance" ammo in it.   I don't mean +P type stuff, just the things at the higher end of the acceptable range for .38 Special.  I think such rounds would be "safe" but unpleasant to shoot.

Shoots fine with my CAS .38spl ammo, IIRC (it's been a while since I shot it)

Archived