SASS Wire Forum

Gibbs 1904A4

Trigger Mike

When I was young and stationed at Fort Bragg, NC there was a place called Jim's Pawn Shop that advertised they had over 500 guns in stock.  I went there often, but was only making $536 month at the time and rent was $250 a month for a trailer in the flight path of the C141 cargo planes out of Pope AIrforce Base.  It was down the road from the grenade and artillery ranges.  My poor wife would be laying in the floor crying when I would come home at the end of the day.  She was hot, missed home, and constant vibration from all around was unnerving for her.  

I still dreamed of the toys at Jims Pawn Shop.  one such toy was an original 1903A4 Sringfield sniper rifle that had a M84 scope on it that had rust in the crosshairs.  It was only $700. $700 more than I could get my hands on at the time.  By the time I got the money , it was gone.  Years later I discovered a real one was $3,000.  I bought one and took it hunting.  It did great.  

Later Gibbs put out a version but their scope was blurry.  I mounted a period correct Weaver on it and decided to leave the original at home.  I took it again this past week.  She handled a 110 yard shot perfectly , hitting a doe in the shoulder.  I prefer does' as my wife and daughter eat it better than a gamey buck.  That 30.06 drops them like a bad transmission.  

Archived