SASS Wire Forum

jeep gladiator

Trigger Mike

5 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I got him one.  Tomorrow they are putting a steering stabilizer on it.  I did that to my f250 as it also had the death rattle and every bump on the bridges would shake the steering wheel to one side.  Stabilizer fixed that 

If you get death wobble at highway speeds in a Jeep the steering stabilizer won't help a bit. I know guys with dual steering stabilizers who got death wobble. The only immediate fix is to slow to a crawl or stop, let the wobble stop, and then resume your drive. You'll know it's DW as the entire front on the Jeep will shake violently and the steering wheel wants to shake right out of your hands. DW generally will scare the hell out of you when it happens whether its the first time or 10th.

Jeep will tell you that your steering stabilizer is bad. It aint. Problem is something much worse. Jeep has known about this for years and does nothing about it. If you get DW, have tires road forced balanced if needed and check the axle side track bar mount bolt for proper size.

Congrats on the Gladiator and I really hope DW is not part of your future. :D

33 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

If you get death wobble at highway speeds in a Jeep the steering stabilizer won't help a bit. I know guys with dual steering stabilizers who got death wobble. The only immediate fix is to slow to a crawl or stop, let the wobble stop, and then resume your drive. You'll know it's DW as the entire front on the Jeep will shake violently and the steering wheel wants to shake right out of your hands. DW generally will scare the hell out of you when it happens whether its the first time or 10th.

Jeep will tell you that your steering stabilizer is bad. It aint. Problem is something much worse. Jeep has known about this for years and does nothing about it. If you get DW, have tires road forced balanced if needed and check the axle side track bar mount bolt for proper size.

Congrats on the Gladiator and I really hope DW is not part of your future. :D

When I worked at a Jeep dealer as a service advisor, that's all Chrysler did was replace the stabilizer, then speed balance tires. Nothing ever seemed to completely get rid of it, just reduced how often. When I test drive one with the customer we went over rail tracks at about 40. It's real hard to pretend it's "not too bad"! Got to damn near stop to get it to quit! Not a pleasant experience to say the least.

I wouldn’t pizz on a Jeep Gladiator if it was on fire. Jeep and its Italian overlords blatantly price gouge the American public. Screw then and their products. 
Jeep Gladiators MSRP was around $35K 2 years ago yet you couldn’t find one for less than $55K west of the Mississippi. Then I checked east of the Mississippi and it was the same. Once CoVid hit Jeep in CA Jeep dealers in CA lowered their prices to MSRP.  I contacted a dealer in Huntington Beach. They had 86 Gladiators in stock. I went to the lot and these smarmy pieces of excrement acted like I was taking good from their baby’s mouths. 

I don’t know if buying used will be the same price gouging with parts or service but I will never own a new Jeep. I’d buy a Toyota first, and that is saying a lot for me. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I’d buy a Toyota first, and that is saying a lot for me. 

While I love the Gladiator concept from Jeep I agree with most of your sentiment. Plus with the troubles I've had the kind of money Jeep wants is nowhere near worth the product. My next Jeep will be a Toyota... just haven't figured out which yet... because I believe it is money much better spent. As a lifetime Jeep owner and with 5 Toyotas in the family I know of what I speak.

Maybe Toyota will do a Gladiator. :D

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

...I don’t know if buying used will be the same price gouging...

Price gouging?  I didn't have any problems.  Dealer told me what his asking price was.  I looked it over and took it for a test drive before asking the Dealer what his selling price was.  His selling price was the same as his asking price.  I thanked him for his time, stood up and took a step before he said "let me check with the manager".  And hour and a half later they decided to accept my offer.  The only addition to the selling price was State sales tax.

I could tell the difference in handling right away with the rough country stabilizer.  steering wheel doesn’t move around as much when hitting the cement lines on a bridge.  Doesn’t feel as loose.  

main thinking is it has slow take off, a steel bumper and sits lower than a pickup but functions as one so may be safer for my son, I hope.

Archived