SASS Wire Forum

Dallas Carhops

Subdeacon Joe

Drive-in car hops in shorts and cowboy boots at the Log Lodge Tavern near Love Field Airport in Dallas, Texas, 1940.

A woman from Oak Cliff (a Dallas neighborhood) made a complaint that she did not want to look at girls’ legs when she stopped by her local drive-in; she wanted to look at men’s legs. Drive-in owners thought that this was a great idea, and soon the idea of the scantily-clad male carhop was born.

The photo above ran in newspapers around the country with the headline: “Adonis and Apollo of Roadside Bring Trade to Daring Stand.”

The caption read:

"First large roadside stand Friday to bow to the demand of Dallas women and feature husky young male carhops in shorts was the Log Lodge Tavern at Lemmon and Midway where four six-footers found jobs. Above, in blue shorts, white sweatshirt and cowboy boots, Joe Wilcox serves Pauline Taylor who smiles her approval of the idea. Bound for another car is James Smith, at right."

FB_IMG_1670329439188.jpg

21 minutes ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I wonder how long this stupid idea lasted.

How is it any more stupid than good looking young women in tight shorts or short skirts and high heels or roller skates?  Yes, I admit, this kind of jars my senses too, but objectively is isn't any more unreasonable than the female carhop.

Car Hops | Flashback Miami

At the Carhop - Go Retro!

I want to like the post for its historical content but just can't because of the picture. :P

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

How is it any more stupid than good looking young women in tight shorts or short skirts and high heels or roller skates?  Yes, I admit, this kind of jars my senses too, but objectively is isn't any more unreasonable than the female carhop.

Personally. I prefer the look of the female legs.  (I'd fight before I'd switch!)

Could’ve been worse!!  Those guys could’ve had man buns too!!  (no puke emoji!)

My repulsion to the photo completely reassures me of my total hetero existence!!!

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

My repulsion to the photo completely reassures me of my total hetero existence!!!

We need a horror-stricken  looking emoji!

10 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Here ya go:

chickenpuking.gif

21 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Joe, I appreciate you recognizing men aren't the only visitors to this site.  We deserve some eye candy as well.

3 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Joe, I appreciate you recognizing men aren't the only visitors to this site.  We deserve some eye candy as well.

Thanks, Kris.  I posted it mostly for the history of it, and a little for the humor.  As I wrote above, it really isn't any more stupider (sic) than the outfits of some of the female carhops.  Well, the boots with shorts looks REALLY stupid.  And as Bob pointed out the jackets are a bit strange.   I do find some of the comments interesting though and wonder what would be said if the carhops were female and wearing the same outfits.

5 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

Here's to muscular, toned, yummy thighs! I do agree that the boots need to go.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:46 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

To me: because the young women wore short skirts on a Saturday night out and the lads wore knee length short pants or full pants.  This probably varies based on the decade of your youth.  Thomas Magnum often wore short shorts.

12 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

To me: because the young women wore short skirts on a Saturday night out and the lads wore knee length short pants or full pants.  This probably varies based on the decade of your youth.  Thomas Magnum often wore short shorts.

Valid to a point.  But the young men in the photograph are wearing what seem to be basketball shorts.   Maybe odd for a date night, but not at all unusual.

Archived