SASS Wire Forum

1851 .44 cal with army grips

Blackwater 53393

I know that I can find the pieces and make one of these. I’m really wanting to find one that is originally configured that way.

Anybody know of such an animal??

15 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I know that I can find the pieces and make one of these. I’m really wanting to find one that is originally configured that way.

Anybody know of such an animal??

I don't think any 1851 was ever made in .44 and I know they didn't have brass frames like you see a lot these days.  I might be wrong (I was once before) so wait to hear what comes down the trail and post whatever it is.  Whatever comes along should prove interesting.

I think he means one of the original repros like a Pietta or Army San Marco from the 70s.

I’m really not interested in the historical correctness of this gun.  I’m sure that even back when these guns were relatively new, someone took an 1860 army grip frame and grafted it to an 1851.  I know that the 1851 only came in .36 cal. and that there was never a .44 cal 1851 produced by Colt or any of its licencees.

I want the gun described so that I don’t have to deal with another caliber, but I’d like to have the 1851 appearance.

1 hour ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

The Italians have made such beasts ......... :mellow:

Thanks, Wobbly!  I was thinking the same thing.  I’d just like to know which one and if it’s still available.

37 minutes ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

Nope! Wanting a complete gun.  I could do it myself, but I’d really rather buy a complete gun that was produced by a gunmaker.

Black Powder.  I shoot a pair of 1860s in competition. I’ve had 1851s in .36.  I just picked up an 1872 in .45 with army grips that I have wanted for some time.  

This ‘51 would sort of complete a string, so to speak.

4 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I’m really not interested in the historical correctness of this gun.  I’m sure that even back when these guns were relatively new, someone took an 1860 army grip frame and grafted it to an 1851.  I know that the 1851 only came in .36 cal. and that there was never a .44 cal 1851 produced by Colt or any of its licencees.

I want the gun described so that I don’t have to deal with another caliber, but I’d like to have the 1851 appearance.

They did that and also put some '60 grips on '73s.  Great feel in either case...and I agree that the '51 looks marvelous in any suit of clothes it wears.

When you get it sorted out send pictures

15 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Black Powder.  I shoot a pair of 1860s in competition. I’ve had 1851s in .36.  I just picked up an 1872 in .45 with army grips that I have wanted for some time.  

This ‘51 would sort of complete a string, so to speak.

FWIW, Traditions Firearms lists a 1851 replica in .44 caliber made by Pietta. They're also listed in the Pietta catalog.  It is, like all the others, only with Navy grips.

Dave!  I’m only wanting one.  I’m planning on shooting it, but only for the heck of it. It’s really just a whimsical thing.

Do let me know!  PM me and we’ll hook up on the phone!

24 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Dave!  I’m only wanting one.  I’m planning on shooting it, but only for the heck of it. It’s really just a whimsical thing.

Do let me know!  PM me and we’ll hook up on the phone!

Went through some pictures on my phone and I think I can swap a set of grip frames and end up with what you are looking for.  I'll let you know tonight.

This is just a preference thing. With the neuropathy in my hands, I like the larger army grip because it hits places on my hands that still have feeling!

Archived