SASS Wire Forum

WTB 10 gauge deprimer

I use brass hulls when shooting my 10 gauge side by side and would like to be able to deprime the brass at the range before putting them water.  Does anyone have a hand held deprimer (I am not sure that such a device exists) for these 10 gauge brass hulls?

Thanks for the help

Tennessee Snuffy

Small punch, block of steel or wood with a hole just bigger that the outside diameter of the primers.  Set the hull over the hole, line the punch up on the inside of the primer and strike with a hammer.  

I unprime all my brass 12 gauge shells that way.  

For my 12ga brass that uses pistol primers, I just hold the hull in my left hand, towards the mouth so that I can also hold an inserted punch in place, hold over the trash can and strike punch with a mallet.  Although it would be simple enough to make a little wooden block as mentioned, but I haven't needed it.

An Idea:

Hardwood dowel that easily slips into the hull, with just a little clearance,

while dowel is in, tap pin in to mark the center of the dowel end,

In the center of one end drill a hole & install a decapping pin from a spare dies set.

Use in conjunction with the counter-bored wood base as mentioned by others.

I have some shotgun depriming tools that were given to me. PM your email and I’ll send you some pictures. If they will work for you, I'll send them to you for the cost of postage USPS small flat rate box. (the brass shotgun shells are not included)

IMG_4556.jpg

A punch and a countersunk block of wood works well. But…..never mix in a live primer! I was depriving in my reloading room a bunch of 10 G brass. Lined up punch, gave it a whack and boom! Drove pieced of anvil & priming compound into my thumb. And mad my wife pretty upset!! 

I think Warden is the winner for one to use at the range.

It's easy to make & low cost & will do the job.

You won't have a lot of time or money in it & won't have to worry if it gets knocked around in your kit box.

Archived