SASS Wire Forum

What would YOU call a 12" barreled Sheriff's Model?

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Believe it or not, "Sheriff's Model" does not mean short barrel, it means no ejector.   The frame is slightly different from a "normal" SAA, and there's really no way you could put an ejector on it.

Now, I have also see pictures of collections Sheriff's models, usually commemoratives of something that have pistols with a 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 inch barrel.   Kinda cool looking, but out of my price range.

That being said, if you could obtain, a Sheriff's model frame and put a 12" barrel on it, what you call it?   A Buntline Sheriff's Model, or a Sheriff's Buntline?  I am actually considering trying to figure out how to get such a beast without spending stupid amounts of cash.   :)

I’d call it Belle

For reference, I offer the following image.

1846961481_SAAMisc.thumb.JPG.27eb07484d043e96ad722e08dbaca4b6.JPG

Usually when I shoot the top Buntline, I pair it with the nickeled Sheriff.    The two Sheriff's are the first "matched pair" that I was able to obtain.

The Big Iron is not normally paired with any of these guns, but the image was created for...  reasons I don't recall.

As to why I "want" this, Sheriff's models, in .44 or .45, are all C&R.   The odds of me finding another Buntline, in .45, that I can purchase in Massachusetts, are remote.  But if I could find a .45 Sheriff, that I can buy.  I can then drive down to Hartford and say, "Please put a 12" barrel on this."  Maybe.   I dunno.  Used Sheriff's are getting more expensive every day, and ordering a new one from the Custom Shop is STUPID expensive.   And as much as I "want" one, I don't really need it.

Much contemplation is in order going forward.

9 hours ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

I'd call it pointless.  IMHO, the main reason for not having the ejector is because the barrel is too short to mount it.  If you want the long barrel, why not have the ejector?

No ejector with proper frame = Sheriff's model, regardless of barrel length.
Sheriff's Model = C&R

C&R = Exempt from stupid laws in Massachusetts that say, among other things, you can't buy a new SAA in this state cuz it's not a safe design.

Conclusion:  It's just about the only way I can get a new "Buntline like" Colt in .45.

7 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

It's just about the only way I can get a new "Buntline like" Colt in .45.

I understand your motivation.  I am thankful that I am not bound by those type of restrictions.

Why not be twice as cool and get a 24" barrel?

29 minutes ago, Chuckwagon McTaggart said:

I understand your motivation.  I am thankful that I am not bound by those type of restrictions.

Why not be twice as cool and get a 24" barrel?

I still want to be able to draw it from a holster.   The 12" is hard enough, to say nothing of the Mares Leg type pistols!

Archived