SASS Wire Forum

Soup. Edit: It morphed into a recipe thread

Utah Bob #35998

My sister in law texted me that I should get some soup delivered by Uber. UBER!!!

She’s such an urbanite. :D :D :D 

D06FBDE4-1FF0-4F70-9D78-1535EFD4A8B5.jpeg

Pinto beans with ham seasoning meat, a fresh pone of corn bread, and left over sweet potato pie on the menu for tonight.

A pot of home made vegetable soup will be made sometime this week.  Got a head of cabbage that needs used up.

I made about five gallons of vegetable beef soup back in October. I froze three gallons and we went through the other two in about a week and a half.  I looked in the freezer this morning and there’s one gallon left!

I’ll probably make another batch after Christmas, but it COULD happen sooner!!

Having food Ubered or DoorDashed here will more than double the price!!  That’s if you can get it done at all!!  

We’re only about twenty miles outside of Nashville by road.  I won’t pay those prices, especially when I get to make it and can make it better AND cheaper!!

3 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Pinto beans with ham seasoning meat, a fresh pone of corn bread, and left over sweet potato pie on the menu for tonight.

A pot of home made vegetable soup will be made sometime this week.  Got a head of cabbage that needs used up.

I’m in the Pinto Bean Capital of the World! :wub:

Just now, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I’m in the Pinto Bean Capital of the World! :wub:

Some of my strongest memories of childhood meals involve the lowly pinto bean.  They were a family favorite, and of course, a bargain always.  

Amazon has a great selection of Campbell’s Soups and the prices aren’t too bad at all. It might take a couple of days to get to you though. :)

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Amazon has a great selection of Campbell’s Soups and the prices aren’t too bad at all. It might take a couple of days to get to you though. :)

Those aren't soup, borderline even as recipe ingredients!

I believe she was thinking hot soup from a local restaurant, not canned, :D

Progresso makes some excellent canned soup for lazy guys like me. I get the low sodium variety. 

The thread has turned into a soup recommendation thread. :D
My point was not soup. It was that my citi dweller relative thinks we even have Ubers out here. :lol::lol:

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I believe she was thinking hot soup from a local restaurant, not canned, :D

Hey, I thought you wanted soup, deliverable soup. :)

I do know what you mean though. My daughter thinks everyone can get Diner Dash or whatever the heck you call that service where strangers pick up your food, drive it in their car and bring it to your door. Creepy. 

7 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Menudo - that's hot peppers and stomach lining stew, right?

... or as Half-Breed Pete calls it... "Gut Soup!"  :lol:

He won't touch it.  "Can I have yours, Pete?"  ^_^

It's actually quite good.  Supposedly eaten on Sunday morning for a Saturday night hangover ~ wouldn't know, myownself.  I just like it.  Or rather, used to; have to limit it now - too high carb content for my A1C.  :(

That's what I heard - hangover cure.

In Wambaugh's THE CHOIRBOYS, one of the cops is of Mexican ancestry, although they spoke English in his house growing up so his Spanish sucks. And after the Watts riots, he was going home and saw people lining up outside of restaurant for menudo. All he had to carry it in was his riot helmet.

On the subject of soup good for a bad cold or other respiratory ailments, Sassparilla Kid swears by Chinese Hot and Sour.  image.png.93f7f142575e94e912284bef3cad4168.png

Come to think of it... so do I!  ^_^

5 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The thread has turned into a soup recommendation thread. :D
My point was not soup. It was that my citi dweller relative thinks we even have Ubers out here. :lol::lol:

(We know!):lol:

55 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Menudo - that's hot peppers and stomach lining stew, right?

32 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

On the subject of soup good for a bad cold or other respiratory ailments, Sassparilla Kid swears by Chines Hot and Sour.  image.png.93f7f142575e94e912284bef3cad4168.png

Come to think of it... so do I!  ^_^

I used to love Menudo. There was a restaurant near work that made it and my coworkers used to buy it there every week. One rainy day Liz brought me a big styrofoam container of it. Boy, it hit the spot so every week I would chip in and buy some. One day I asked what the noodles were made of…

They got a big kick out of telling me it was beef tripe (stomach). :blink:

I don’t eat menudo any more. 

And I should point out that I am not particularly fond of soup anyway. 
So most of your recommendations are falling on deaf ears.

But don’t let me stop you. I’m going back to bed. :lol:

On 12/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I have a German Potato and Bacon soup going now.

Recipe??

Please.

CJ

6 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Allrecipes.com. German Potato Bacon soup.  I’m working on making it more to my liking but it is certainly a start.

Thank you. I’d not seen that site. I’ll give it a look.

CJ

1 hour ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Thank you. I’d not seen that site. I’ll give it a look.

CJ

Good stuff on that site!

On 12/4/2022 at 1:12 PM, Utah Bob #35998 said:

My sister in law texted me that I should get some soup delivered by Uber. UBER!!!

She’s such an urbanite. :D :D :D 

D06FBDE4-1FF0-4F70-9D78-1535EFD4A8B5.jpeg

Ok then, Doordash.  ))))

on a lighter note….., on another forum somebody asked how the folks on the space station got their food.

I wrote that it was a test delivery service, DoorDashX, being run by Elon Musk. Custom meals provided daily. Musk was only charging NASA $30 mill a day for the service.

23 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Good stuff on that site!

Got busy last night and forgot to say, Thank You Marshall. I captured that particular recipe as my SIL loves potato soup and I like Bacon.:D

CJ

• Utah Bob #35998 changed the title to Soup. Edit: It morphed into a recipe thread
On 12/4/2022 at 8:28 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I used to love Menudo. There was a restaurant near work that made it and my coworkers used to buy it there every week. One rainy day Liz brought me a big styrofoam container of it. Boy, it hit the spot so every week I would chip in and buy some. One day I asked what the noodles were made of…

They got a big kick out of telling me it was beef tripe (stomach). :blink:

I don’t eat menudo any more. 

What, no Guts? Me either!

Archived