SASS Wire Forum

Dismantled some .45-70 rounds

I've not been able to get my favourite Trail Boss powder for a while, but I had a lot of .45-70's loaded, some for a Trapdoor, the other for a Rolling Block I no longer have.

I was able to load almost 150 .45 Colt rounds from each box of 50 .45-70's I salvaged the powder from.

That'll more than do me for the Christmas GRINCH match next Saturday.

I'll continue getting my supply of .45s ready for next year.

Found some CLAYS and I'm good for large pistol primers for a while and I have LOTS of large rifle primers I bought before Covid, at a Going Out Of Business sale @ $35.00 Cdn per 1000!

Our club house has a good wood stove, a generator, propane cook stove, heated shooting shacks, burn barrels on the range floor and propane heaters in the storage sheds, out of the wind. Should be a lot of fun. 

DSC00181_zpsxhscx9o8.jpg

GRINCH Christmas Match Cover.jpg

I really hate to say it guys...ya'll need to give up on Trail Boss being made any time soon. From what I've read, not going to happen in the near future. Clays is more likely to come back before TB will. I really suggest finding a different powder to use. Plenty of other powders out there.

35 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I really hate to say it guys...ya'll need to give up on Trail Boss being made any time soon. From what I've read, not going to happen in the near future. Clays is more likely to come back before TB will. I really suggest finding a different powder to use. Plenty of other powders out there.

Yep I never used it have plenty of other , like clays so no problem here . Just one of those when it comes back out and decent priced i would try it 

10 hours ago, PowerRiverCowboy said:

What you do put them back together and do it again ? :) double post . Never used trail boss when it comes back out I will have to get some and try it .

When I got back into CAS and started reloading again*, after a lay-off of several decades, I started using it with a dipper and those bulky little TB donuts filled the case and the loads were nice and forgiving.

I have a better set-up now, but I continued to use TB in spite of bridging issues in the hopper.

* Prior to retiring and getting into CAS and reloading, by invitation, I shot frequently at our indoor Police range, in our new Police Station HQ;

Just testing the firearms and ammunition I was buying as the Purchasing Agent, you understand.

It was a quality control thing.

Trust Me, I'm a Liberal.

I've never used CLAYS in .45-70.  I haven't seen a load for it.

I have a couple of 50 round boxes of loaded .45-70 rounds prepared for the Sharps and the Hiwall I have remaining 

I follow the Hogdgon recipes carefully and I have VARGET and a couple of other powders I can use.

On 12/5/2022 at 11:06 AM, Matchlock said:

The only problem with Clays is it does not like the cold.

Thanks for the heads up Matchlock.

I had 100 rounds in my ammo box for this Saturday's Grinchmas match.

I'll use what I have in TB for Saturday.

I'll save what I've loaded with CLAYS for next spring and summer.

Any other powders sensitive to heat or cold you are aware of?

1 hour ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

Thanks for the heads up Matchlock.

I had 100 rounds in my ammo box for this Saturday's Grinchmas match.

I'll use what I have in TB for Saturday.

I'll save what I've loaded with CLAYS for next spring and summer.

Any other powders sensitive to heat or cold you are aware of?

Try a couple of the Clays, they may not be a problem at our distance. The only time I actually could tell the cold difference was when it was below 30 or so. Just my experience, never could tell at all with Clay Dot.

Our match Saturday will see -5 going up to a balmy +1 in the afternoon, so It'll be TB for sure.

We'll fire up the wood stove in the club house and the propane heaters in the shooting sheds.

The propane stove will be heating up a gourmet meal of hot beans for lunch and generators are working, so we have lights and the tea and coffee pots going.

All the comforts of home!!

Square Circle HoHoHoDSCN3438.JPG

Square Circle HoHoHoDSCN3443.JPG

Square Circle HoHoHoDSCN3434.JPG

I do not know of other cold sensitive powders.

The clays rounds go off and the bullets hit the target, The rounds sound like bad reloads. As-in BANG, BANG, pop, BANG. I only shot Clays in 2 cold matches, then changed to Trail Boss.

I was able to get some UNIQUE and some HS-6 from a couple of former shooters, (my age and one a little younger, The WImp!) who sold off their handguns after our Left Wing Prime Minister announced he was banning further import, sale and or transfer of handguns in Canada.

Those handguns remaining in private hands must be turned over to the government for destruction on the death of the current owners. 

It's too bad we never saw the need for a Canadian version of your NRA.

Those are from last years Pre-Christmas match..

Try our website, for a lot more, including videos produced by Bucky Moonbeam. His videos are also on YouTube.

Just don't look at my posted scores OK?

We just finished this year's pre-Christmas match, this year titled "Grinchmas" and pictures will be up soon.

I just sent them to our website administrator, Tumbleweed Tom down in Florida, who administers our site. from there.

Meantime, here is a preview of todays fun:

The match boolet cover; a heated shooting shed, the posse and the wood stove c/w THE TURBO FAN

IMG_2714.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Archived