SASS Wire Forum

FOUND—-WTB ISO 44RF

Wooden Nickel

Only looking for a few rounds.

For context:  I read in an article by Rick Hacker that a Henry rifle once was chambered in a .44 Henry proprietary cartridge called the “Henry Flat”.

Navy Arms produced a limited number of these Union Pacific Railroad commemorative reproductions in that .44Rim Fire. I don’t intend to fire this rifle but would like to see and have a few rounds for it.AD2A08C5-BFA7-4510-BD48-C0653C2DFE19.thumb.jpeg.957c0a6aa8e87525104e4f4f98c15065.jpeg8CAA6680-5EE6-4518-837D-770F5C0C8492.thumb.jpeg.bb0a4577ab558a70bec0d42c57f25bcf.jpeg

Tex,  I did talk to them at fakebullets.com, seem to be a great outfit with great service.  What they would do in this case is cut a ..44 spl to length, fill primer pocket smooth.  This will most dimensions within a couple thousands.

Im still gonna keep on the search for a few cartridges or casings.

Thanks again for the referral I may need them again in the future.

WN

Seems like some .44 Henry rimfire ammunition was manufactured back in the ‘80s when Uberti put out a run of replica Henrys in the original chambering. Some of that might still be out there. Also, there is a YouTube channel called The Cinnabar, the guy on this channel is working on fabricating some .44 rf so he can shoot a couple of ‘66 Winchester rifles. You might contact him and see where he is in his project. Good luck.

I have two .44 rimfire rounds for the Henry rifle that I have had for more than 30 years. One is marked with the Henry "H" on the case and the other is unmarked. The H marked cartridge has a flat nose, the other one is rounded. I never did buy a Henry rifle or .44 rimfire Colt SAA. 

$160.00 shipped to you.

IMG_4572.jpg

IMG_4573.jpg

IMG_4576.jpg

Thank you Cheating Charlie great videos and part of me says OK let’s give it a go! The other part of me says I already struggle with too many projects and not enough trigger time. Life is good either way.

I remember when those rifles came out.

There was an Article in a Magazine. That said a survey crew was attacked, surveying for the Rail Road.

One of the surveyers lost his rifle. The article was written in the late 1980's or early 190

90's.

Someone spent years looking for it. He found it around 30 years ago.

I would like to have a Rifle like yours.

I would be tempted to purchase, a centerfire bolt and cut down cartridges for it.

Then you could enjoy it . 

Then have the option of to turn it back if you wanted too.

Bailey Creek,

An article was published in 1981 Guns & Ammo I’ve not found but here is a link to an Article by the same author, Rick Hacker in March 2021 you might find interesting.

(fixed link I hope)

https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/Henry-railroad-rifle/390229

According to Hacker 100 of these commemoratives were made some in 44 RF and some in 44-40. The pic I posted is #44 ( cool huh? S/N UP 44 in .44RF)

On 12/6/2022 at 8:11 PM, Wooden Nickel said:

Ethan Cord thanks for the opportunity, it’s exactly what I was looking for but not a price point this cowboy can wrangle.  Your pics are now the closest I’ve been to a real 44RF!

You may be able to find some at a lower price if you watch Gunbroker. Best wishes on your quest. 

You might want to look at yours to see , but I believe the originals had two firing "pins" on the boltface.

This was done to help make sure the ammunition would go off as early rimfire rounds had issues with areas with no priming compound sometimes.

Would really hate to break a part in that one.

On 12/13/2022 at 11:33 AM, Cheatin Charlie said:

Wooden Nickle I know this is out of reach but thought you and everyone else should see this.  

https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/products/106656-rare-umc-44-henry-rimfire-ammunition-packet-mis1182.html

Almost $10,000 for an empty .44 Henry rimfire cartridge box???? Wow!

Thanks to a remarkable Cowboy who contacted me via PM, I now have  3 original .44RF rounds. I’m humbled and grateful to him.  

I appreciate all of the offers and comments. It has been a learning experience. 

Archived