SASS Wire Forum

New Rule Changes...!

Rancho Roy

A few new changes were announced.....White slip on rifle front sight, wire ejector spring for 1897 SG, 9mm allowed in Ruger revolvers.....All good.

But this one is an issue in my mind:

"Gun Skins" DIY vinyl wraps approved as firearm and/or stock/grip coating.

"Many of the Gun Skin themes are patriotic and support first responders and the military."

** NO "CAMO" or "SPORT TEAM/Advertising" LOGOS ALLOWED.

No problem with "imitation wood" type wraps........But Tattoos on the stock with colors, words and images is a real mess.......Bad idea. Totally distracts from the "Cowboy " image....

Plenty of room on vehicles, bumpers, and other places if you want to reskin things.  Certainly not a cowboy thing, and distracting in photo displays of our sport.  Besides, if these can be placed on your firearms, why won't similar images be used for shooting clothes and boots?

I'm ALL for supporting first responders and military.  Why not put that money towards THEIR needs rather than one's own desires?  (I do).

good luck, GJ

1 hour ago, Rancho Roy said:

No problem with "imitation wood" type wraps........But Tattoos on the stock with colors, words and images is a real mess.......Bad idea. Totally distracts from the "Cowboy " image....

Painting of stocks, grips, and metal (particularly with patriotic themes) has been done for MANY years.
This is just a different method of application.

Just make sure it is pre-1900 vinyl. :)

Here are the current rules regarding other items:

- The displaying of any manufacturer’s, sponsor’s, or team logos on apparel. (Manufacturer’s labels on such apparel or equipment are acceptable)

SHB p.4 - OUTLAWED ITEMS

Apparel – Articles of clothing including: shirts, pants, dresses, vests, jackets, coats, dusters, chaps/chinks, leggings, boots, and hats. Not to include: Gun leather, ammo belts, garters/arm bands, wrist cuffs, or bandanas.

SHB p.42 - GLOSSARY OF TERMS

Logo – distinctive graphic design, stylized name, unique symbol, or other device for identifying an organization. This includes those of SASS, individual clubs/ranges, match commemorative and those of any subgroups within the Cowboy Action Shooting community. Exceptions: Badges, pins, belt buckles, scarf slides, military unit/rank insignia of a standard size.

SHB pp.43-44

29 minutes ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Painting of stocks, grips, and metal (particularly with patriotic themes) has been done for MANY years.
This is just a different method of application.

I did not know that! I guess I haven't been very observant as I don't remember seeing any of this......Thank for the clarification.

3 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

A few new changes were announced.....White slip on rifle front sight, wire ejector spring for 1897 SG, 9mm allowed in Ruger revolvers.....All good.

But this one is an issue in my mind:

"Gun Skins" DIY vinyl wraps approved as firearm and/or stock/grip coating.

"Many of the Gun Skin themes are patriotic and support first responders and the military."

** NO "CAMO" or "SPORT TEAM/Advertising" LOGOS ALLOWED.

"Cowboy image"?

Perhaps, you'll explain to me why your version of "Cowboy image" should be mine also.

4 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

"Cowboy image"?

Perhaps, you'll explain to me why your version of "Cowboy image" should be mine also.

Easy....Nothing that we can see that wasn't around before 1900......Internal stuff is OK....But carbon fiber etc is not...It simply kills the vibe...IMO :D

Well folks, I am the culprit that started this whole situation on this thread that has created all this heartburn. Maybe someone else also, but I did send an application for consideration of the patriotic "Guns Skins" wraps, and here's why.

We have three grandchildren that we are introducing into CAS. Two Buckaroos and one Young Gun. Our oldest son (their father) is a USAF veteran. The kids love wearing all kinds of patriotic clothing. They have even used "U.S." military collar insignia on their cowboy hats, and other veteran pins. They are proud of their dad as they should be.

We purchased two Ruger Wranglers and a Henry .22 lever rifle for them. Once when they were at our house, I was looking at gun photographs online. One was a stars and stripes Gun Skins wrap on a 38 revolver. They all commented how cool the gun looked and could we get their guns to look like that. I told them that there are rules to CAS, and I would have to check on it. A call to the SASS HQ got me a form to download asking for a rule change/clarification. I filled it out and sent it in, along with the Guns Skins photo we had seen.

So as revealed above, it was approved with conditions. 

I thought showing patriotism and following rules was very much within the "cowboy" image. 

I apologize for any grief that this has caused to SASS members.

LDD

3 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Easy....Nothing that we can see that wasn't around before 1900......Internal stuff is OK....But carbon fiber etc is not...It simply kills the vibe...IMO :D

Does that blue plastic timer, plastic tables with ponchos made in China on them and spitting distance targets kill the vibe also?

Just wondering...

1 minute ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

Well folks, I am the culprit that started this whole situation on this thread that has created all this heartburn. Maybe someone else also, but I did send an application for consideration of the patriotic "Guns Skins" wraps, and here's why.

We have three grandchildren that we are introducing into CAS. Two Buckaroos and one Young Gun. Our oldest son (their father) is a USAF veteran. The kids love wearing all kinds of patriotic clothing. They have even used "U.S." military collar insignia on their cowboy hats, and other veteran pins. They are proud of their dad as they should be.

We purchased two Ruger Wranglers and a Henry .22 lever rifle for them. Once when they were at our house, I was looking at gun photographs online. One was a stars and stripes Gun Skins wrap on a 38 revolver. They all commented how cool the gun looked and could we get their guns to look like that. I told them that there are rules to CAS, and I would have to check on it. A call to the SASS HQ got me a form to download asking for a rule change/clarification. I filled it out and sent it in, along with the Guns Skins photo we had seen.

I thought showing patriotism and following rules was very much within the "cowboy" image. 

LDD

No grief here. Just don't like being told what my image of "Cowboy" should be.

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Does that blue plastic timer, plastic tables with ponchos made in China on them and spitting distance targets kill the vibe also?

Just wondering...

No, it doesn't....That is all necessary for the game....If it did you could join NCOWS, the other cowboy shooting organization....You want to talk about RULES...And no close targets! Oh, and during the 1800, LOTS of goods came from China by way of the west coast......

15 minutes ago, Lawdog Dago Dom said:

LDD

Could you post a picture of the gun skin??

Thank You

1 hour ago, Desert Pete SASS #42168 said:

The Steam Punks have done really weird stuff for a long time.  Nobody cares.

I do.

The approval of the modification has been posted.
The basis for that approval has been explained.

One example of the modification has been posted.

Further commentary won't change those facts.

Archived