SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy Faceoff at 2023 Violence at Virtue Flat

So we here at the Virtue Flat Shootist Society at Baker City, Oregon have, for several years, held our annual match, Violence at Virtue Flat, the second weekend of July. By way of shamelessly poaching off of Major Art Tillery's "Classic Cowboy Showdown" we have decided to hold our own "Classic Cowboy Faceoff" at our next Violence at Virtue Flat match coming up this July 7-9, 2023. This will be a fifteen stage main match no warm-up event, and the following rules apply to the Classic Cowboy category, which I myself shoot (and I quote):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2023 VFSS Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Faceoff

Greetings and salutations! Do we have any brave cowboys and cowgirls ready to embrace the greatest category in SASS? If you think you're up to the challenge of shooting in the Classic Cowboy/Classic Cowgirl Category and want to shoot with the cool kids, then here's what you'll need to know to shoot CC at this year's match:

1. All SASS rules regarding the Classic categories will apply, i.e., duelist style only, hammered double or 1887 shotgun, 73, 66 or 1860 Henry rifle, any SASS legal hoglegm etc. All cartridge guns must be .40 caliber or larger. .36  or larger caliber cap and ball revolvers may also be used. If you want to shoot black powder in your cartridge guns because you think that it makes you even cooler than shooting Classic already does, feel free to do so; it's your choice! For further rules along these lines as well as clothing and accoutrement requirements see the SASS Handbook. 

2. There will be no age-based divisions of the category. If you're shooting Classic you're shooting against everybody who showed up to toss their hat in the ring, and that includes the ladies. I hope that this doesn't scare anybody off, 'cause I'd really like to see some of you fine ladies shooting CC. 

3. There will be only one award in the Classic Category, period. There will be no "participation trophies". The award will go to the fastest Classic, whether it be Cowboy or Cowgirl.  This is not a facetious declaration; there are some dang fast Classic Cowgirls out there, and one of them could be the overall champ! 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I do believe that we already have the trophy buckle for the top Classic ordered, so if there's even the slightest chance that any of you Classic shooters out there are available that weekend to come hang with us and test your skills against some of the coolest kids on the block, give us a holler and come shoot with us! It'll be a 'blast"!

Oh, and did I mention that we provide a catered lunch on all three days of the main match?

You all will have a FUN time with this!

Agree with Major... 15 stages! Awesomeness!!!!! :D

If I get real ambitious between now and then I may also include a knife forged by yours truly as part of the prize package. I’m just learning forging so it may be a skosh on the crude side but it’ll be like nothin’ you’ve ever seen before... :D

Do we have any brave souls who can fight the heat in eastern Oregon in July as Classics?

Come on out and join us! It'll be fun!

• 4 weeks later...

Think of it this way: if you come and play in our yard you get to try to hang with the likes of such gunhands as Boothill Bandit, Holy Rider, yers truly, and maybe even Major Art Tillery. What could be better than that?

And with a catered lunch every day to boot! Come and play in our yard!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2023 at 10:41 PM, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

Think of it this way: if you come and play in our yard you get to try to hang with the likes of such gunhands as Boothill Bandit, Holy Rider, yers truly, and maybe even Major Art Tillery. What could be better than that?

And with a catered lunch every day to boot! Come and play in our yard!

Ya never know... The trip is still undecided yet.

But free bump for another Classic Shooter event!!

Breaking news! Boothill Bandit will not be shooting Classic Cowboy at this match this year! That kind of rearranges the odds of winning that snazzy buckle, don't it? I know none of y'all have seen it yet, but trust me, it's purty!

And here it is!

Wouldn't that purty thing look good on your belt? Only one way to get it!

image.jpg

Come on now! Do we have any real shooters in the room? Do we?

Then come to beautiful eastern Oregon in July and show us what you got!

And don't forget, we serve some of the best lunches you'll find at any match, anywhere, as part of your match fee!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, Lightfoot said:

Count me in, it's time for a real classic cowboy, black powder and all.

Lightfoot

And don't forget they will have a great Plainsman event, Tethrow Tex LaRue has great plans.

Dang, and here I thought that buckle was gonna be hanging on my belt! Looks like I better bring my “A” game! The competition is heating up! 

Howdy all!

As a Classic Cowboy I've been a part of these CC showdowns several times and I can attest that the more Classics the better the event. We all have a great time and I promise this gets contagious (the good kind ;)). We in the midwest have turned this into quite the gathering of Classics. I look forward to the CC Showdown as much as any match I go to.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:16 AM, Dantankerous said:

Howdy all!

As a Classic Cowboy I've been a part of these CC showdowns several times and I can attest that the more Classics the better the event. We all have a great time and I promise this gets contagious (the good kind ;)). We in the midwest have turned this into quite the gathering of Classics. I look forward to the CC Showdown as much as any match I go to.

So how's about boogyin' right on out here in July and joinin' in on the fun? :D

33 minutes ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

So how's about boogyin' right on out here in July and joinin' in on the fun? :D

Believe me, I'd love to.

My work (4 letter word) schedule will not allow it. :angry:

On 3/13/2023 at 1:36 PM, Dantankerous said:

Believe me, I'd love to.

My work (4 letter word) schedule will not allow it. :angry:

Yeah, making a living sure does cut into a fella’s leisure time sometimes... :D

Dang, how did this getting pushed down to page 3? Let's kick it back to the top, shall we?

Got your registration in yet? Let's get some more Classics signed up!

At this point we even have a couple of frontier cartridge gunfighter types willing to only use one gun at a time just for a "shot" at the buckle. Anybody else want to try changing to the greatest category in SASS for a weekend?

• 2 weeks later...

So of all of the fine folks who have read this here rambling dissertation so far, how many of you  are coming to hang out with us for the second weekend in July?

Could be interesting finding out who all is getting brave in their old age! :D

Best hurry, y'all. Entries close July 1st, and we would hate to have you miss this because I didn't remind you! :D 

On 12/4/2022 at 7:38 AM, Dantankerous said:

You all will have a FUN time with this!

Agree with Major... 15 stages! Awesomeness!!!!! :D

Yeah, I'm quoting my own quote. :D

Don't miss this, Classics!

A whole posse of Classics makes a durn fine posse! Hope you get a great turnout!

We've got several either signed up or telling us that they're going to. I know of five for sure at this point!

The Plainsman stages are set and random movie and tv lines assigned to 'em...

Wild Bunch stages are written...

This is gonna be a fun match!

• 2 weeks later...

We'd best bring this out so the folks that are planning their summer schedule can add it on! Come on out and shoot in the beautiful sage brush country of eastern Oregon!

You get your Northwest Classics all tuned up and us Midwest Classics will meet y'all in Cheyenne sometime for a HUGE Classic Cowboy Jamboree!

:D

On 4/25/2023 at 5:38 PM, Dantankerous said:

You get your Northwest Classics all tuned up and us Midwest Classics will meet y'all in Cheyenne sometime for a HUGE Classic Cowboy Jamboree!

:D

Now that would be fun!

On 4/25/2023 at 8:30 PM, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

I will be in MT late May and WY in early June.  :ph34r:

And you need to be in eastern Oregon in mid-July! :D 

Archived