SASS Wire Forum

Octagonal barrels for Ruger Vaqueros..?

Sasparilla Groz

Just now, Hells Comin said:

What length barrels do u have or getting. Vaqueros or Blackhawks.

Hells Comin 

I tried @Dream Chaser, SASS #79316‘s 5 inch and they were sweet but another pard let me shoot his 5 1/2 barreled guns and were just as sweet… im hoping the longer sight radius and every so slightly more heft will help keep me on target more… but both are amazing with cowboy loads!

We have had two sets done by Boomstick in Texas. Super happy with both sets. Been shooting them for four years no problems. 

I've seen this this mod done by both Snake Oil George and Boomstick on guns owned by friends. Both men do very good work. I was never a fan of the octagonal barrels until I saw that in person, then handled the guns, and WOW! A really nice change! Alters the feel a tad too. Now I'm just trying to determine when to have that done to my pair. :D

14 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

What length barrels do u have or getting. Vaqueros or Blackhawks.

Hells Comin 

I have 5.0" and 5.5".  Partial to 5.0"

Snake Oil George did mine on a pair of 44mag old model vaqueros, he also changed the grip frames to new model vaquero grip frames as I like the smaller grips better,went with 5" barrels, love the heft and I think it keeps me on target better. They already were short stroked by Roy's Creek Dan and are some slick handling pistols. I highly recommend these 2 gentlemen for any work you might need on your firearms.

As with many others, Snake-Oil George did a fantastic job on mine.  My advice is if you are shooting 44's or 45's go with 5.5".  If 38's go 4.5-5" depending on what you have and how you want them to feel.  The octagon barrel is somewhat heavier than the round barrel and adds weight up front.  I went with 5.5" barrels and wouldn't dream of ever going back.

If you follow my advice and it doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Possum

Totes - Absolutely beautiful!  I'm a getting my sled ready for that slippery slope... :rolleyes:

Possum Skinner- I'll be shooting .38's   I was thinking on doing 5.5" barrels.  I have another pair of 5.5" and shoot better with them than the shorter barrel guns so I figured longer would be the way to go.  What caliber are you shooting with the 5.5?

21 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

Snake Oil George will fix you up. Careful, it’s a slippery slope once you start. 

Totes

4371B40C-06AA-4013-A119-D660A4307E6A.jpeg

These are the pistols that helped convince me to go from 4 5/8 barrels to 5.5… thanks again @Totes Magoats! Cant wait to get mine back from Snake Oil George…in the next few weeks i hope! 

2 hours ago, Totes Magoats said:

I really like the 5.5" on my .357/.38s.  That extra weight really keeps the muzzle flat when shooting!

Totes

Years back,  going through Wally-World and noted they had AA Low Noise with $2.00/box rebate. I put 10 boxes in the cart.  Sawmill Mary asked what those were for. (I shoot black powder so she knew I didn't buy them for myself.)  I explained less noise and recoil.  She peplied, "What's the fun in that?".  They set on a shelf until eventually sold to buddy who was out and none could be found. 

23 hours ago, Sasparilla Groz said:

Totes - Absolutely beautiful!  I'm a getting my sled ready for that slippery slope... :rolleyes:

Possum Skinner- I'll be shooting .38's   I was thinking on doing 5.5" barrels.  I have another pair of 5.5" and shoot better with them than the shorter barrel guns so I figured longer would be the way to go.  What caliber are you shooting with the 5.5?

38's

On 12/5/2022 at 1:41 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

Just buy remingtons ;)

IMG_20181212_123035.jpg.d3b37676319ba4d7ecb4e2b0da209c05.jpg

These are purdy!

Archived