SASS Wire Forum

Killer robots in SF

Rye Miles #13621

Don't worry, the government won't misuse them. Just ask them as they collect your weapons.

All it would take is one hacker to divert one of these things and things would go to hell in a handbasket real quick. 

Personally, I wouldn’t trust this crap at all and even less so when limp-wristed bedwetters approve of it. 

Hell, I don’t trust those darn floor scrubbing robots in Costco and Sam’s Club. 

Shrug.  Like most technology there is the possibility of abuse, but if properly used I can see a limited role in using robots, operated by humans, in very high risk situations to protect the lives of police. 

However I am far more concerned about autonomous robots being allowed to seek and attack targets which I've come across in reference to drones and their use by militaries and not just the U.S.

This is just putting a remote controlled gun on one of those robots that police bomb squads use.  Most agencies with SWAT teams have been using this capability for 20+ years.  Inserting tear gas and using a 12 gauge door breaching shotgun mounted on a robot is nothing new.  Disrupter rounds out of a shotgun have been used on suspected explosive devices for many years.  I guess in San Francisco, they have to debate everything that might hurt a criminal.  

More alarmist claptrap.  These, apparently, are not programmed and send out on search and destroy missions, they are under control.  I'm more worried about the 100+mph chases through residential neighborhoods (so what if 50 other cars get totaled in the chase and three pedestrians get injured).  Or warrantless searches that hit the wrong residence.  As Chantry pointed out, any technology has potential to be abused.

20 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

All it would take is one hacker to divert one of these things and things would go to hell in a handbasket real quick. 

Personally, I wouldn’t trust this crap at all and even less so when limp-wristed bedwetters approve of it. 

I present for your consideration:

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21476904

It's time to find the handle that will flush all the crap out of San Francisco.  These people are letting their fantasies get in the way of common sense (which, as the man said, is really UNcommon).

I don't understand, like, or trust computers and I've worked with them since 1966.  I have NEVER seen one that worked perfectly.

I don't even trust a Roomba, so why would I trust some science project fit for a high school class to have the power to take a life.

I'm curious if these mechanical marvels can drive over piles of poop, or if they get bogged down in it.
Which of course, opens up a new job for the PD maintenance techs.

2 hours ago, bgavin said:

I'm curious if these mechanical marvels can drive over piles of poop, or if they get bogged down in it.
Which of course, opens up a new job for the PD maintenance techs.

And from my experience working in the ghetto, that would be critical. Both animal and human, although I guess both are one in the same. :ph34r:

Years ago, I carried a tool bag on the midnight shift, while wearing a 3pc suit and tie.
It was bad enough way back then... would refuse altogether to do that today.

On 12/2/2022 at 8:33 AM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Last time I was at Sam's Club, one of those floor scrubbers was coming at me head on but it stopped at my cart, went around it, got back on the same side that I was on and said I'll Be Back. :ph34r:

Archived