SASS Wire Forum

22 LR inserts for 45/70

G W Wade

Anyone here have any experience with either the Crossno or Shaver 45/70 barrel adapter particularly in Uberti 1885.  Havn't been able to find much info except sounds like Crossno is one piece case adapter is fixed to barrel versus Shaver sounds like case adapter is removed for reloading.  Correct, or am I misreading something?     Thanks    GW

GW, your take on the differences between the two is correct.  I had a Crossno before the CPA.  I used it in my 45-90 highwall.  It was very accurate with a five shot, dime sized group at 50 yards.  It was easy to install & use.  However, it is not handy if you want to switch back & forth from .22 to big bore.  

Looks like the collective votes for Crossno..    Thanks      GW

I have a Crossno. The only thing I don’t like about it is I have to remove the sight base to get it in and out of my Sharps.

My brother had a Lee Shaver. He has no problem with the sight base. And, I believe, he can also use it in a 45 or 40 caliber.

Uriah

Getting into it now.   One friend offered me his Shaver and have 2 Crossno in line for decision      GW

Barrel Erosion - no

Upon removal of the insert it’s a good idea to clean the barrel. Wax at the end of the insert, with wax coated 22s and a lot of shooting. On the Crossno insert, it goes in better with gun grease applied to the insert. Cleaning.

Lots of people are taliking about  a sleeve to protect the rifling made of a tube on .014 brass with a wrap of tape to hold in place to prevent  damage/ corrosion to bore.  I HAVE been trying but not a lot of info out there   GW

Archived