SASS Wire Forum

Hiroshi Myamura RIP. Korean War Medal of Honor recipient

I'm surprised they didn't kill him. The Japanese were not nice "occupiers" of Korea during the second World War, and the Korean war was only seven or eight years later. I'm sure the Koreans remembered the Japanese.

Perhaps they recognized him as American soldier. Also, it sounds as if it was the Chinese who captured him. Moreover, it's doubtful that they knew just what he'd done; that's why the Americans kept the award secret until he was repatriated.

1 hour ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

Also, it sounds as if it was the Chinese who captured him.

The Chinese weren't real fond of the Japanese either. Maybe you've heard of the rape of Nanking?

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

The Chinese weren't real fond of the Japanese either. Maybe you've heard of the rape of Nanking?

Yes, I have. You're surprised they didn't kill him. My guess in response is that it was because he was an American, in an American uniform, part of an American unit, in a war where there was no Japanese army around. But I don't know.

I've read a number of Medal of Honor and Victoria Cross citations and Hiroshi Miyamura's citation is definitely one of the more impressive ones I've read.

What a remarkable man

Both the Koreans and Chinese knew he was an American soldier. Hating people just because of what they look like is mostly an American thing. I have Arab-American co-workers who had to deal with that crap after 9/11 and my Chinese-American ex-wife has been dealing with it since COVID.

32 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Both the Koreans and Chinese knew he was an American soldier. Hating people just because of what they look like is mostly an American thing. I have Arab-American co-workers who had to deal with that crap after 9/11 and my Chinese-American ex-wife has been dealing with it since COVID.

I have not found that to be true.  In group / out group and prejudice is nearly universal.  I have found it in nearly every culture I have had significant contact with. 

Archived