SASS Wire Forum

changing out my rifle sight, is this legal?

El CupAJoe

Hey Guys,

this has probably been answered before, but I'm trying to upgrade my sights on my Rossi 92, mostly for hunting, and I was wondering if this is legal per the handbook, I couldn't tell by reading the handbook, so I figured someone must have asked already and had a ruling on it.  please advise.

image.png.3e6ed8beccd190b6eaed80bd57322ce8.png

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nope, not SASS legal. 

SHB pg 34:  "Sights must look like sights available during the cowboy era."

12 hours ago, I. M. Crossdraw, SASS# 8321 said:

Not legal.  But a Full Buckhorn might work.  

thanks for the advice, I have a hard time judging my aiming point with the standard Rossi sights, groups seem way to large, I'd say it's just my shooting, but I've had others try it with the same results, both factory ammo and reloads.

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

thanks for the advice, I have a hard time judging my aiming point with the standard Rossi sights, groups seem way to large, I'd say it's just my shooting, but I've had others try it with the same results, both factory ammo and reloads.

A tang sight would be legal, most have size apertures you can change out.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005873468

Randy

1 hour ago, El CupAJoe said:

but I've had others try it with the same results, both factory ammo and reloads.

Unless you had friends who can't use sights trying your gun, then the problem is not the sights, most likely.    If y'all were shooting at 50 yards or less and can't get five shots to fit under a coffee cup, then it's the gun.   You tried different folks aiming, you tried different types of ammo.   So what is left is a gun that won't hold groups.    Could still have been a sight that is loose (either front OR rear could be loose).  Check for loose stocks, dirty barrel, bent barrel, dinged muzzle.  

Putting different sights on probably won't help.   But a tang peep sight is SASS legal, as pointed out just above.   Always worth trying to FIND the problem before firing replacement parts at the problem.

good luck, GJ

I'm assuming this is a rifle, not a carbine?  Do you have a bead front sight?  If not, try changing that.  Smaller bead probably better for accuracy/hunting.  

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I'm assuming this is a rifle, not a carbine?  Do you have a bead front sight?  If not, try changing that.  Smaller bead probably better for accuracy/hunting.  

Aim small, miss small.

Archived