SASS Wire Forum

Soccer

Rye Miles #13621

59 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I find all team sports to be a waste of my time so I am an equal opportunity disdainer. Curling looks like fun though. ;)

I used to be pretty good at 12oz curls. I used to tell the guys at work, if your team never played another, game how much would that affect your life? If the garbage man never came again how much would that affect your life? I think garbage men are worth more than pro athletes, should be paid more.

6 minutes ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I used to be pretty good at 12oz curls. I used to tell the guys at work, if your team never played another, game how much would that affect your life? If the garbage man never came again how much would that affect your life? I think garbage men are worth more than pro athletes, should be paid more.

At one point in time, I recall San Man being listed as a very dangerous job.  In the country, it is all DIY and safe enough!

after watching us get beat today , i may have a little more appreciation for the game - besides the fact i believe these players have huge stamina to cover that court as much as they do , they are athletes , but also as actors ...........never seen that much faked injury outside of pro-wrestling , im not saying 5there wasnt real injury in a few cases , but really ? a few were so faked - guess the penalty flags were wanted ? but saw little of that as well , 

i then watched tulane play - what a difference , at least in my mind , ill watch american football before soccer ......im old , i dont care to change my ways for the new global order , 

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

after watching us get beat today , i may have a little more appreciation for the game - besides the fact i believe these players have huge stamina to cover that court as much as they do , they are athletes ,

It's a big field, and you have to be a real athlete to play it. Rugby has the same size field, 50% bigger than an American football field, and there are very few time outs or penalties, so the main thing is that the ball is almost always in play and you are constantly on the move without a break.

I was at the Cal-Stanford football game two weeks back, the Big Game in the Bay Area; the first time I'd been in the stands in a football game in a long time. I was a fraternity boy at Cal in the late '60s, and was down there with old friends. It was a great game, huge tradition and enthusiasm, and I get all that. But I have had a hard time with American football since my own Rugby days: they are always stopping the clock, at every pretext. The whole thing seems designed to just prolong the thing endlessly, constantly breaking up the natural flow of the game.

Was it always like that? I get down to Cal every couple of years with these guys to watch a Cal Rugby game. Rugby is a big tradition there, and they have a great field above memorial stadium. The game is fast, fluid, and also rough and hard-hitting. But it's over in the allotted time; and there's time enough.

I wish American football would just keep the clock going. 3-4 hours is a long time for an hour-long football game...

american football is a time thing , time is money , the pauses are designed to get commercials in and thus revenue , i agree that field is huge , those folks running all over are athletes , i give them credit for their stamina and endurance , 

i have a little disdain for the faked injury but i guess if it gives them a chance to catch their breath and the fans like it ...why not ? 

id love an explanation of the scoring , to me its as confusing as tennis 

On 12/3/2022 at 10:26 PM, watab kid said:

after watching us get beat today , i may have a little more appreciation for the game - besides the fact i believe these players have huge stamina to cover that court as much as they do , they are athletes , but also as actors ...........never seen that much faked injury outside of pro-wrestling , im not saying 5there wasnt real injury in a few cases , but really ? a few were so faked - guess the penalty flags were wanted ? but saw little of that as well , 

i then watched tulane play - what a difference , at least in my mind , ill watch american football before soccer ......im old , i dont care to change my ways for the new global order , 

I believe it’s to draw penalties.  While not a basketball fan, I have noticed the nba has become much the same, huge reactions to minor fouls.  Really seemed to slow the game down.  College hockey started to have the same issue and then implemented a embellishment penalty.  Slowed down the theatrics.  

i kinda suspected that to be the intent , but then not 'knowing' the game/rules i just mentioned what i observed and left out my guesses , i take it drawing penalties gives an advantage somehow ? 

17 hours ago, watab kid said:

american football is a time thing , time is money , the pauses are designed to get commercials in and thus revenue , i agree that field is huge , those folks running all over are athletes , i give them credit for their stamina and endurance , 

i have a little disdain for the faked injury but i guess if it gives them a chance to catch their breath and the fans like it ...why not ? 

id love an explanation of the scoring , to me its as confusing as tennis 

Penalties can give big advantages to the other team !! It’s got nothing to do with money and commercial breaks. There’s personal fouls like grabbing a face mask, roughing the passer etc. There’s also jumping the gun at the snap, 12 men on the field etc etc!!! There’s a bunch of them! All to make them play the game clean .

Rugby is the game I know best from actual play (though I haven't played it myself now for 40 years; I still go to games now and then).

Rugby treats penalties under the concept of 'advantage'. The ref will wait a beat when he sees a penalty to determine 'advantage' before he calls it. In other words, if the person committing the penalty derives no advantage to his team from it, it won't be called. Play will continue uninterrupted.

For example, in Rugby you cannot advance the ball with your hands, except by carrying it. Thus there can be no forward pass, for example. If you bobble the ball forward along the ground as you are trying to pick up a live ball, that is thus a penalty. But the ref will wait a beat. If the opposing team grabs the ball immediately and begins to advance it, the penalty won't be called, because it did not disadvantage the nonoffending team. 

Accordingly, play keeps flowing without a break for every possible penalty.

And why stop the clock for penalties anyway? Why stop it for incomplete passes? For first downs? Advertisers have nothing to do with the vast majority of games. It gets cold in the stands as the hours go by!

4 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Penalties can give big advantages to the other team !! It’s got nothing to do with money and commercial breaks. There’s personal fouls like grabbing a face mask, roughing the passer etc. There’s also jumping the gun at the snap, 12 men on the field etc etc!!! There’s a bunch of them! All to make them play the game clean .

Umm…maybe, kinda, sorta. I remember a time when it took about 2 1/2 hours to broadcast a game. It’s 3+ hours now with the same basic rules. College ball is closer to 4 hours. It’s still only one hour on the clock. 

One of the big things that’s slowed the game down are instant replay reviews. I’m waiting for the American Bar Association to get involved to adjudicate the proceedings… ^_^

Football is best “watched” whilst doing something else. If you miss the play, you’ll have multiple replays and a broadcast pair explaining to the nth degree what happened. 

8 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Umm…maybe, kinda, sorta. I remember a time when it took about 2 1/2 hours to broadcast a game. It’s 3+ hours now with the same basic rules. College ball is closer to 4 hours. It’s still only one hour on the clock. 

One of the big things that’s slowed the game down are instant replay reviews. I’m waiting for the American Bar Association to get involved to adjudicate the proceedings… ^_^

Football is best “watched” whilst doing something else. If you miss the play, you’ll have multiple replays and a broadcast pair explaining to the nth degree what happened. 

I do agree with the instant replay review, same thing in baseball! Very annoying!

Soccer also does not call all penalties if there is an advantage to the team that was offended.  It used to be when I played, no extra time.   Now if the “play” stops they add extra time at the end to make up for it.  Not sure if that’s good or bad.  

football is really designed around tv now.  Short bursts of action and then delay so they can show commercials.  Even college hockey has got in on the tv revenue and have specific tv timeouts even if the game is not televised so the players can be used to stoppage in play.  Absolutely hate it.  

Instant reply revisitation of penalty calls is an abomination, but folks  seem to want it. Maybe American football will get so weighed down with time stoppage one day that it will change, but I doubt it.

The fallibility of trained refs and umpires is just part of the game, like anything else-- and it is a game. Since Am football created the set play after each tackle, then the penalties started to loom large. When video came along, it could become a problem, because of the time for review after each play.

In Rugby, and I assume in soccer, the penalties play a much smaller role. They ensure play by the rules, but they don't enter into strategy or affect the outcome of games; at least not to any significant degree. Even when called, they affect the flow of play in a minor way mostly.

Archived