SASS Wire Forum

Soccer

Rye Miles #13621

Since it's the World cup of soccer I've been trying to watch some. I watched parts of theUSA-Wales game and then a little of the USA England. I watched the end of USA-Iran.

Now Saturday we're playing the Netherlands. Is anyone into this sport?? My goodness it's boring!!

Oh well go USA:FlagAm:

Been watching every day. I agree with J-BAR, it is like chess, can be boring unless you understand the game and the strategies the teams use and the skills it takes to make it happen. Just watched Belgium vs Croata this morning. Great game yet ended in a 0-0 tie.

My oldest grandson played soccer when he was in grade school.  I often went to watch him play, but I usually wandered off with the younger grandson to climb on the jungle gym and visit concession stand.

I understand the game and I STILL find it boring and a waste of space that could be used for gun ranges and baseball fields and such.

But, “to each his own” said the lady that kissed the cow.

Is the coach for the US team still wearing a shirt that just says "STATES"?

Not interested in soccer in the first place- even less after I saw that picture.

53 minutes ago, Ranger Dan said:

can be boring unless you understand the game and the strategies the teams use and the skills it takes to make it happen

I somewhat understand the game, and can sort of see the strategies, and absolutely admire the skills and athleticism needed for some of the plays, but I just can't get it.  Just like basketball - some of the contortions and kinesthetic senses needed to make the plays boggles the mind.  But I can't get into basketball, either.  

I played soccer in both High School and College, in each case it was a Club rather than the Varsity sport it became when it was more popular in later years.  I also played football at the same levels but preferred and was more successful in soccer.  To me, an absolutely opaque game, Cricket!

Big fan. Been watching it as much as my job allows. 

To me, soccer is a beautiful game on so many levels. I understand why some don’t appreciate 90 minutes that end in a 1-0 score. I don’t care for a baseball game that ends 1-0. 

But to each their own. 

USA!

Mrs. Lose used to coach soccer for junior high school, high school and for a 2 year college so she’s a big fan and she has it on a lot. I’ve tried to watch it but just can’t get into it. I think she gets a little frustrated when I question some of the antics by the players after they get run into or pushed or tripped, I think acting would be their forte, they’re good at it. Glad it only comes around every four years.

I just can't watch soccer. It's like watching concrete set. Boringest game in the world. How many World Cup games have ended in a 0-0 tie? Team USA has scored what, 1 goal in 3 games? Of course GO USA!!! But I'd rather watch the leaves fall. 
JHC:lol:

11 minutes ago, Capt. James H. Callahan said:

I just can't watch soccer. It's like watching concrete set. Boringest game in the world. How many World Cup games have ended in a 0-0 tie? Team USA has scored what, 1 goal in 3 games? Of course GO USA!!! But I'd rather watch the leaves fall. 
JHC:lol:

At least when leaves fall, they don't grab their stem in dramatic fake agony when they hit the ground.

Flip side, had an Israeli guy in our soccer club in college.  We had a match with a traditional "enemy" school.  He was quite a good player, but had fractured his right arm outside soccer.  He claimed the weight of the cast was throwing his balance off.  He shattered the cast deliberately on the goal post and stripped it off.  Can't recall decades down if we won or lost, but I was impressed.  No wuss!

:ph34r:  I have to admire the stamina involved, but as I saw mentioned earlier today..."To be clear, I do not hate Soccer. I think it's a fine sport for countries for whom the next big technological advance is the use of hands." —Jeremy Boreing

People say the same about baseball. But you have to know baseball, it’s history, its players, it’s ri=unles and strategy to appreciate it. 

I studied Soccer, or Football as the rest of the world calls it. I figured if it’s so popular it must have something going for it. So over the years I watched some games, amateur, pro, Olympic. 

I was wrong. I’d much rather watch a high school girls basketball game.

Or Curling.

In a baseball game that’s 1-0 there’s still a lot that goes into it, defensive plays, great catches , double plays etc. I’d take a slow moving pitchers duel over a soccer game anyday.

never found it interesting , ill give them credit for endurance on the field - save the fake injury stuff - but i guess they might need a short rest , beyond that i prefer hockey for a game of putting it in that net area , ill probably not be watchin much of it and ill never be the european fan type - american football makes more sense to me 

If you think soccer is boring try watching your six year old twin grandsons play on a coed team you’ll change your mind in a hurry absolutely hilarious reminds one of trying to herd cats 

3 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

If you think soccer is boring try watching your six year old twin grandsons play on a coed team you’ll change your mind in a hurry absolutely hilarious reminds one of trying to herd cats 

I've seen my great niece playing when she was about 10, that was a hoot!:D

I still don't like the game though!

2 hours ago, Henry T Harrison said:

All sports for 6 year olds are worth watching. :lol:

I finally understand why we hear so much about riots, and mayhem, and even some people being shot, or knifed, at soccer events in other countries.

You watch a game for hours on end, and at the end of the match, the score may be zero to zero, or one to nothing. I'd rather watch paint dry, or grass growing, or redoing my sock drawer.   

In some South American countries soccer referees used to be armed.  Whatever scores, passions ran very high.  In HS I would go to Randall's Island NY and watch the European and English pro teams play.  Plenty of physical disagreements even there.

I do take seriously the fact that soccer is far and away the most popular sport in the world. There's got to be something to it. It's highly athletic and very skilled at the high levels. It's the kind of sport that anybody can play; boys, girls, large, small; low cost to entry.

You can play at the club level well into middle age, unlike, say, Rugby or American football. Anybody can get out there and kick the ball around. So the appeal is wide.

But I can't get into it, either. It's just boring.

Pretty sure there as never been hundreds killed during an NFL game. Even in Philly.

Or Oakland. ;)

FYI USA is out, they got beat 3-1 by the Netherlands!

Is that considered a slaughter??:P

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I find all team sports to be a waste of my time so I am an equal opportunity disdainer. Curling looks like fun though. ;)

Agree generally, but having lived in the frozen north, Curling?  Flat out weird.  Semi Pro Hockey, on the other hand can be downright exciting! 

25 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I find all team sports to be a waste of my time so I am an equal opportunity disdainer. Curling looks like fun though. ;)

The one sport I love is baseball, ever since I was 7 yrs old. The rest ehhhh although a good football game can be entertaining!

41 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

FYI USA is out, they got beat 3-1 by the Netherlands!

Is that considered a slaughter??:P

Too bad they couldn't get close enough to kick a field goal and win 4-3.:o:P

Archived