SASS Wire Forum

Spending your money

Alpo

Leave us say that you are rich. You have 40 plus million dollars. Now that's not "screw the world" rich, but still that's pretty rich.

You had a house built and you got a decorator, and you got all new furniture. And one of your decorators flunkies is putting an Indian blanket on the back of the couch. You know, as a throw.

Would you spend 30 bucks to get a reproduction from Amazon, or several hundred to get a real Navajo? Online story and that's what's going on, and it specifically says that the flunky was "positioning a reproduction Indian blanket".

I just thought that if I had that much money, I'd get the real deal.

8 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I'd much rather buy and support authentic Navaho craftsmanship over Communist China slave created crap...any day of the week. Doesn't matter if I'm stinkin' rich or not.

^^^^ THIS ^^^^

hmmm , never being in that position id not given it much thought till now , but having grown up exposed to real indian made products - id opt that way , if you bought a nice couch that needed that look why would you go to a reproduction ? 

this all assumes the originals are available of course - which i dont know - as i dont have all that cash to be buying those kind of furnishings ,

i am married to an interior decorator but she hasnt gone to that "look" yet in our home , we so far tend other directions - mostly eclectic - but more oriental since she spent a lot of her youth in japan , 

Maybe you got the 40 mil by being frugal. ;)

You actually answered your own question.  You HIRED an interior decorator to deal with this issue.  As a multi millionaire, you have deemed this task to be of little importance to you, hence the hiring of a decorator.  If you didn’t care about the entire home why would you care about a throw?   
YMMV

Gringo

"Reproduction" can mean a number of things. It could still be a genuine Navajo rug, just not one that is over 100 years old and museum quality.

23 minutes ago, DocWard said:

"Reproduction" can mean a number of things. It could still be a genuine Navajo rug, just not one that is over 100 years old and museum quality.

Is a third gen Colt SAA a reproduction?

:D

15 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Is a third gen Colt SAA a reproduction?

:D

No, because it is physically different from a 1st or 2nd Gen. Hence the "3rd Gen." I thought you were smarter than that. :P

How many consider a Miroku 1873 a "reproduction?" It's not called a 2nd Gen or whatever... And it's supposed to be a "Winchester." So, what is it?

Sometimes a reproduction can be arguably better than the original, depending on what criteria you are using. Factory Five Shelby Cobra replicas have many advantages over the originals, and even the Shelby American made Cobras, whether 289 or 427 variants, if you have the money to dish out, will have improvements over what you could buy in the 1960s, not just in powertrain, but in other areas as well. So, to use an apt analogy, if you had the money to spend and were so inclined, would you buy an original 427 Shelby Cobra Roadster for well more than $1,000,000 to spin around in on sunny weekends, to put a lot of mileage on, along with wear and tear, and put at risk of damage or ruin in a wreck, or would you buy a new Shelby Cobra Roadster that can be almost identical for less than half that to have fun in? 

If you bought a 1958 Chevrolet Corvette, it would be a Corvette. If you bought a 1965 Chevrolet Corvette, it would still be a Corvette. If you bought a 1999 Chevrolet Corvette, it would be a Corvette.

None of these three cars would be reproductions. They would just be the current model Corvette.

So if Little Big Man wove a blanket in 1870, it would be a real Navajo blanket. And if Minihaha wove one today, it would be a real Navajo blanket. It's not a reproduction. Unless they specifically try to make a copy of that 1870 blanket, and put the wear and tear in it to make it look like it was made 150 years ago - now that would be a reproduction.

But if they wantWOVE it on the same type of loom that they've been using forever, and they used wool from their sheep, and dyes made from whatever they made their dyes from throughout their blanket weaving history, and did it the way they've been doing it continuously for several hundred years, it's not a reproduction. It's just the newest one made.

7 hours ago, Alpo said:

If you bought a 1958 Chevrolet Corvette, it would be a Corvette. If you bought a 1965 Chevrolet Corvette, it would still be a Corvette. If you bought a 1999 Chevrolet Corvette, it would be a Corvette.

None of these three cars would be reproductions. They would just be the current model Corvette.

So if Little Big Man wove a blanket in 1870, it would be a real Navajo blanket. And if Minihaha wove one today, it would be a real Navajo blanket. It's not a reproduction. Unless they specifically try to make a copy of that 1870 blanket, and put the wear and tear in it to make it look like it was made 150 years ago - now that would be a reproduction.

But if they wantWOVE it on the same type of loom that they've been using forever, and they used wool from their sheep, and dyes made from whatever they made their dyes from throughout their blanket weaving history, and did it the way they've been doing it continuously for several hundred years, it's not a reproduction. It's just the newest one made.

If Elizabeth Warren made one using an authentic Navaho loom, same wool, same dyes, same everything supplied by Navahos...would it be a reproduction or the newest one made?

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Which is analogous to the 1st/2nd/3rd Gen Colt referenced above. That is not an apt analogy to the Shelby Cobras I discussed.

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

No, a reproduction does not mean it must to be made to appear 150 years old, but it can be made to look that old. It could be "distressed" to make it appear old, such as the reproduction windsor back chairs at my dining room table, or they can be reproduced to look brand new, as with some of the Pennsylvania rifles I've seen that look like they just came out of a smith's shop in Lancaster. 

10 hours ago, Alpo said:

Now, if you take the two blankets in fine condition, virtually identical in every respect, except one has the provenance to show it was made in 1870, which do you think is going to be considered more valuable by collectors, museums, etc? Will they say they are both Navajo blanket? Possibly, maybe even likely, I don't know. What I am confident in is that they will be far more interested in the old one, and would, for their purposes, consider the new one a reproduction.

1 hour ago, bgavin said:

Is the blanket made from real Indians?

I believe that is frowned upon in modern society.

Archived