SASS Wire Forum

38spl/125g/Red Dot load?

Rancho Roy

That's a pretty old can. Just to be safe, send it to me and I'll test a couple pounds for you. Only thinking of your safety. :P

1 minute ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

That's a pretty old can. Just to be safe, send it to me and I'll test a couple pounds for you. Only thinking of your safety. :P

:D

27 minutes ago, Rancho Roy said:

Just was given a "can" of Red Dot.......Got a load for me?

316675149_10230274627910028_2402240532186979122_n.jpg

The keg in and of itself is pretty cool. :D

2.7 grns works great! I worked up a load with the chronograph not long ago for a friend. I didn't write down the fps & pf because I don't shoot Red Dot, but I look for a PF in the 65 or so & about 600-650fps. I know it was in that range with the pistols. And, it was with 125 Grn 38sp coated tapered flat point bullets.

I run 3.4 grains with a 130g coated RNFP, works well, not much for recoil but enough so you would notice a squib if it happened and if your powder measure throws you a lite load chances are it will still be enough to get it out of the barrel, I have seen a couple of folks who load very very light end up with a bullet stuck in the barrel because their press threw a lite load and they were already on the bottom to begin with 

Anywhere in the 3.0 to 3.5 range gives enough splash for the counters and plenty of power for the knock downs.

I use 2.5 grains with 125/130 gr. RNFP lead.  Great load during the warmer months but get slightly erratic during the colder months, so I up the load to 3.5 gr. during the colder months.  IMO.  Since I moved to the Sunshine State, 2.5 gr. is now my only load.

14 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I use 3.0 grains with my cast Lee 125 grain RNFP. 

thats what i use as well , but im running out of red dot - i love the powder , but will most likely switch to clays at this point in time as i have it 

9 hours ago, watab kid said:

thats what i use as well , but im running out of red dot - i love the powder , but will most likely switch to clays at this point in time as i have it 

Me also. I did get a good deal on W244 and am liking it so far for .38 and 12 gauge. It has a burn rate similar to unique but is a ball powder that takes up less space. 

I use Clays, but I have substituted Red Dot before using the same 2.8grs under a 125gr load and they're near identical. 

Hey, can I have the can when your done? That thing is cool and would look great next to my CCI primers on my vintage shelf. 

JEL

20220713_175100.jpg

9 hours ago, John E. Law said:

I use Clays, but I have substituted Red Dot before using the same 2.8grs under a 125gr load and they're near identical. 

Hey, can I have the can when your done? That thing is cool and would look great next to my CCI primers on my vintage shelf. 

JEL

20220713_175100.jpg

burn rates are pretty similar from red dot to clays , i use the same recipe with both for my cowboy reduced loads  

Archived