SASS Wire Forum

Wyatt Earp Movie

Rye Miles #13621

I generally liked all the actors in this movie and it was pretty historically accurate but does anyone else not like Costner as Wyatt Earp? I thought he was pretty bad in that role. Just MHO

I liked the movie, Costner (as Wyatt)) not so much. Quaid nailed it as Doc. As I understand it, Quaid had to lose a substantial amount of weight for the part. From what I've read about the real Doc, Quaid played the part much more accurately than Kilmer.

8 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

I liked the movie, Costner (as Wyatt)) not so much. Quaid nailed it as Doc. As I understand it, Quaid had to lose a substantial amount of weight for the part. From what I've read about the real Doc, Quaid played the part much more accurately than Kilmer.

Yes he did, I read he lost 40 pounds to look more like Doc. Val Kilmer had the advantage of great writers though. He has some classic lines in Tombstone!

The cinematography in that movie was outstanding.  Costner’s low key performance allowed the other actors to shine, and they did.  They stole every scene he was in!  I really enjoy the movie.

I liked Kevin Costner in Wyatt Earp. I liked Kurt Russell in Tombstone. I like the movie Wyatt Earp, but love the movie Tombstone. 

I have a feeling that in real life Wyatt Earp was a lot more like Kevin Costner’s portrayal than Kurt Russell’s. 

Hell, I likes ‘em all.

Agree that Dennis Quaid nailed Doc. A very, very good and accurate (according to a couple historical accounts I've read) presentation of the lunger dentist. Quite entertaining in a dark way as well.

Bunch of great actors.

I much preferred Kurt Russell's Wyatt though.

I liked Costner in Dances With Wolves much better than as Wyatt although his Wyatt wasn't bad, just very tough competition from Tombstone. 

This one was in the bargain bin for Blu-Ray.
Picked it up by have not yet ripped it to my NAS.
I love movies and have a very high threshold of pain, so I'm looking forward to seeing it.

The Wyatt Earp movie was more of a biography of Earps life… VS Tombstone being a story about the OK Corral gunfight..The sets and locations of Wyatt Earp movie were awesome …I particularly remember seeing very authentic canvas tents being shown in the movie how they were in real frontier towns . The buscadero style holsters ruined it for me… Hard to believe they could not find a technical advisor up to par for a movie with that one’s big budget.

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a feeling that in real life Wyatt Earp was a lot more like Kevin Costner’s portrayal than Kurt Russell’s. 

Several historians actually agree with that assessment. The real Wyatt Earp was described as having a personality "like a cold fish". Kinda sounds like Costner as well.

Tombstone was more fun to watch, but like they say if you want to turn reality into entertainment you have to spice it up a little.

2 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Can't stand anything with Costner in it.

I didn't used to like Costner, either. Starting with Open Range, I liked him better. As an old man, he's a lot better in his roles than he was as a young man, in my opinion.`

Field of Dreams?

:D

18 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

How about Silverado? 

The character in Silverado almost ruins that movie for me! I like that movie a lot but Costner’s character was ridiculous!

A very dark Costner movie, well done IMO, is Mr. Brooks. Certainly a very different Costner role.

And don't forget Hatfields and McCoys. :D

And there were no buscadero holsters in H&M's as alluded to earlier. Yes, an item I also found very distracting in Wyatt Earp, otherwise quite well done.

7 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Speaking of Costner how about The Postman?!? :lol: 

6 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Waterworld? :rolleyes:

Liked both movies. I liked The Untouchables too. 

I will say the one thing that really irked me about Costner in Silverado was that scene where he backs out if the saloon (small ess) and pulls both guns to shoot two bad guys at the same time and he pulls the triggers with the guns at about a 45 degree angle and both guys fall dead. You would have thought someone on the production team would have caught that. 
Other than that, I love that movie. As hokey as it is, it’s one of my favorites. 

Really like the Buffalo and Buffalo hunting scenes in WE.  Anything with the big shaggies in it does it for me.

I found Wyatt Earp boring, it would have probably benefited from some more editing and a shorter run time.  As for Costner, I think Dances With Wolves may have gone to his head and I found him rather pompous in Wyatt Earp, I certainly didn't find Costner likable in the role.   

I think Dennis Quaid did a good job as Doc and he probably would have gotten more recognition for his performance if it hadn't been for Val Kilmer's performance in Tombstone, which came out six months prior.

Tombstone also benefited from a better supporting cast and better directing 

The two movies were in a sort of competition with Tombstone, which came out earlier getting most of the attention.  The Tombstone movie was initially directed by Kevin Jarre, who wrote the screenplay, but was replaced by George Cosmatos.  Apparently Kurt Russell took over many of the directing duties even though Cosmatos remained as director.  The Tombstone movie highlighted the relationship between Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday while the Wyatt Earp film showed more of the Earp family and Wyatt's life leading up to Tombstone.  The Tombstone movie has better pacing, more action, although some of the Wyatt Earp action moments were pretty good.  The rumor at the time was that the Tombstone production got a hold of all the period correct gear, probably due to the fact that Peter Sherayko outfitted the film.

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I will say the one thing that really irked me about Costner in Silverado was that scene where he backs out if the saloon (small ess) and pulls both guns to shoot two bad guys at the same time and he pulls the triggers with the guns at about a 45 degree angle and both guys fall dead. You would have thought someone on the production team would have caught that.

1:56 shows Jake blasting both guys in the knees. I'd not noticed this before. Good catch.

24 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

1:56 shows Jake blasting both guys in the knees. I'd not noticed this before. Good catch.

I figured it must have been a hardwood ricochet. :lol:

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

and pulls both guns to shoot two bad guys at the same time and he pulls the triggers with the guns at about a 45 degree angle and both guys fall dead. You would have thought someone on the production team would have caught that. 

Alec Baldwin has this technique down to a science.

My take on these two movies:

Overall I like Tombstone the most. Better pacing and character  development for the cowboys. Better gunfight scene. In WE you really don't get a feel for Ike, Billy, the McLaury's and they look like a bunch of homeless folks. WE was supposed to be a mini series so it may have been better than the condensed movie version. Tombstone might have been even better if Kevin Jarre hadn't been booted.

For Wyatt Kurt Russell wins for appearance, wardrobe, guns, etc. Costner wins for demeanor more closely like the real Wyatt. Combine both portrayals with Kurt Russell in the role.

For Virgil neither actor. Sam Elliott was too stiff and old, they should have at least dyed his hair and mustache. Madsen just didn't work.

For Morgan Linden Asby from WE . Bill Paxton was just too wimpy and what's with that mustache?

For Doc Dennis Quaid from WE. Kilmer was excellent but looked a little too healthy. Quaid was a little too dark as the real Doc was known to be a little bit of a jokester.

For Ike Stephen Lang nailed it. Supposedly he was even really drunk in some scenes.

For Ringo Michael Biehn. Probably one of the best character portrayals in the movie as well as the best Ringo ever.

For Curly Bill Powers Boothe hands down.

For Josie Joanna Goings  hands down as well. Dana Delaney was just too old for the part and too mature for the years portrayed, no real vulnerability as portrayed by Goings.

For Billy Thomas Hayden Church.

For the rest of the cowboys at least in Tombstone you knew who the McLaury's were. WE cowboys just looked like a bunch of homeless folks. 

For Johnny Behan Jon Tenney. I like Mark Harmon but what's with those goofy chaps. He wore them in Crossfire Trail too.

Tombstone also had the more memorable scenes. Doc knifing Ed Bailey, Wyatt turning out Johnny Tyler, facing down Ike, Doc and Ringo's gunfight, Wyatt blasting Stillwell at the train depot, and on and on.

Just my thoughts. 

Archived