SASS Wire Forum

Double barrel internal or external hammer?

Vail Vigilante

Internal, no question. The shotgun is self cocking with internal. Why do you think the fast folks want SKBs? Having external hammers adds one more step to firing. I know because I use an external-hammered shotgun in Classic Cowboy.

What they said.  If you just want to look good, get a hammer double.  They can be very fast with several different techniques but they all take more practice to get fast than a hammerless.  

The internal hammer shotgun eliminates the time taken to manually cock the hammers after the first two shots. With a hammered shotgun you can start the stage with the hammers cocked and action open, making it as fast for the first two shots as a internal hammered gun.

I always figure the first two shots are equal. Given you can cock the hammers before buzzer (if you think of it.)  Any more shots and you fall behind. 

There are only a few models with hammers tall enough and close together for fast, easy cooking. The TTN/1878 Colt come to mind. But they tend to be heavy. I like my CZ-USA Hammer Double. 

439322043_Cimarron1878weightDec2018.jpg.e0c7b49f34ac7e808e37ae2ea2b8bc71.jpg598843930_CZ-USAweightDec2018.jpg.05a01cf05e765d5b96550f10eabdf2b5.jpg

ALMOST  always shot the internal , its what i started with , i have a hammered double and i do enjoy shooting it - just generally dont opt for that added movement to cock the hammers , the arthritis has a bot to do with things i choose these days , some days i can easily and others i cant ......at all 

Archived